PDA

View Full Version : Standard Modern lathe up for auction

Mark Hockett
08-02-2012, 10:18 AM
I thought I would pass this along as it is too far away for me to deal with. From the picture it looks to be in much better shape than most government auction pieces,

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=5455709&tid=GLSPPT1014&cm_mmc=Email-_-ia10981-_-2012-08-01-_-10981_7251

Tamper84
08-02-2012, 01:30 PM
I haven't ever delt with gov liquidations. Is it like eBay? Any special license or anything that you have to have to buy from them?

Thanks
Chris

kbertoson
08-02-2012, 04:44 PM
This will be a popular auction. The bid was $380 this morning.

Dr Stan
08-02-2012, 06:24 PM
Yep already going up. Wish I was closer and had the cash to spare. I suspect it was in a toolroom or prototype shop at Tinker AFB so its probably like new.

wierdscience
08-02-2012, 08:56 PM
I haven't ever delt with gov liquidations. Is it like eBay? Any special license or anything that you have to have to buy from them?

Thanks
Chris

No license required,just sign up and leave a CC # on file sort of kinda like Ebay,but Ebay/Paypal allows all sorts of nonsense that GL and USG don't.BUYER BEWARE.

Most times they won't ship an item and many items are buyer load only.They do give the contact information for the facility the items are located at.Best bet is to contact them and get the details on load outs,dates and times.

I've bought a few machines off local bases and never had any problems as the base personnel handled the load outs.A buddy of mine however bought a 12' power squaring shear,that he knew was buyer load,but what he didn't know was it was on an un-maned facility.He had to hire a rigger and had to have everybody lined up to be onsite on a certain date.It worked out and he did get more than a good enough deal,but there were extra costs involved and planning was a bit like herding Cats.

Also from having seen a lot of stuff they have for sale in the way of machine tools,I would not buy anything I couldn't inspect in person.Some things will be perfectly fine and just have a bunch of minor problems and other things will be like new,but with one very major problem.

lazlo
08-03-2012, 12:08 PM
Yep already going up. Wish I was closer and had the cash to spare. I suspect it was in a toolroom or prototype shop at Tinker AFB so its probably like new.

As soon as the auction is posted on an Internet forum...

This reminds me of the Government Liquidation auction of the South Bend shapers that were in crates. It was first posted on the Yahoo shapers group, then someone posted it on Harold's forum. Then it was cross-posted here. But the frenzy really started when it was cross-posted on PracticalMachinist.

Dr Stan
08-03-2012, 12:39 PM
My guess is the final price will be in the four to five thousand dollar range. It will be interesting to watch and find out how accuracy of my prediction.

PaulT
08-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Geez, metal strapping right across the ways, nice.

Dr Stan
08-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Geez, metal strapping right across the ways, nice.

Yes but at least it has not set outside in the elements for a year.

Ohio Mike
08-03-2012, 05:26 PM
Condition Code = H7 "Unserviceable - condemned/ reparable"
Material which has been determined to be unserviceable and does not meet repair criteria; Type I shelf life material that has passed the expiration date, and Type II shelf life material that has passed the expiration date and cannot be extended. NOTE: Classify obsolete and excess material to its proper condition before consigning to the DRMO. DO NOT classify material in supply condition H unless it is truly unserviceable and does not meet repair criteria.

Short version? Buyer should inspect carefully.

Dr Stan
08-03-2012, 08:14 PM
Condition Code = H7 "Unserviceable - condemned/ reparable"

That's an important point, but one of the more common ways to get rid of something we didn't want while I was in the Navy was to have it declared "beyond economical repair". Ship CO's also used it as a ruse to have their recently overhauled Captain's gig put up for sale and then buy it.