PDA

View Full Version : What do I need?

StephenK
08-03-2012, 11:35 PM
I tried to switch from Microkinetics old DOS system to their new Windows program and am not happy. It may go back to them. So, If I were to try Mach 3, exactly what do I need in the line of controllers, drivers etc. I have looked up Mach 3 and can either download the program or invest in a CD. At this time it will run my Sherline Mill and Lathe. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I tried CNC Zone, but forgetaboutit.
Stephen

DICKEYBIRD
08-04-2012, 11:00 AM
I'm no expert and didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night but if your DOS software ran your controller via the parallel port, Mach will work great. The download is free and is pretty much full featured other than (I think) it won't execute more than 500 lines of code and lathe threading is disabled.

I switched from TurboCNC (DOS) to Mach a while back and love it. The great thing about Mach is it's so flexible and configurable...the bad thing about Mach is it's so flexible and configurable.;) Stole that from someone on the Mach support forum which by the way is a great place. There's some scary-smart and experienced people there; just like here. The Yahoo Mach forum is great as well.

Go ahead and download it and the free manuals and jump in. If I got it working, anybody can!

DICKEYBIRD
08-04-2012, 11:06 AM
Oops, did a little Googling and it looks like M/K works through the serial port? If so, somebody else needs to jump in and advise you.