PDA

View Full Version : OT: Need some advice on email client.

Your Old Dog
08-04-2012, 05:04 PM
I have a new 64 bit I5 machine and am stuck with Windows 7 Home Premium. You may know there is no more "Outlook Express" with Windows 7. It was particularly conveinant for me because I email a lot of pictures and it was really easy with Outlook Express. Is anyone aware of any other options I have? Right now I'm using Time Warners Roadrunner email setup and it sucks. If I try to send more then one image it zips all the files together and the recipient has a hard time viewing them.

Thanks for any suggestions that may work short of shoving the damn thing up my......... :D

Evan
08-04-2012, 05:12 PM
I haven't found anything I like and I have done a lot of looking. I use Win Live and have turned off various "phone home" features in the policy editor. It still sucks, especially the F***ing ribbon menu. I sure do hate that thing.

LKeithR
08-04-2012, 05:14 PM
How about Thunderbird? I've used it for years. Works great for me...

alanganes
08-04-2012, 05:18 PM
I use Thinderbird as well. Not perfect, but OK, and should be feel fairly familiar to someone who is used to outlook.

Ohio Mike
08-04-2012, 05:28 PM
Yep, I hate that crap, only web mail I ever really liked is Outlook Web Access.

My solution won't be popular because of the price but I'd suggest buying Microsoft Office "Home and Business" edition and you'll have Word, Excel, and Outlook. Retail should be about $150. Do be careful there are multiple bundles of Office suite and you want to be sure to get Outlook client in the package (or download as the case may be).

elf
08-04-2012, 06:02 PM
I have a new 64 bit I5 machine and am stuck with Windows 7 Home Premium. You may know there is no more "Outlook Express" with Windows 7. It was particularly conveinant for me because I email a lot of pictures and it was really easy with Outlook Express. Is anyone aware of any other options I have? Right now I'm using Time Warners Roadrunner email setup and it sucks. If I try to send more then one image it zips all the files together and the recipient has a hard time viewing them.

Thanks for any suggestions that may work short of shoving the damn thing up my......... :D

I haven't tried this yet, but it may be close to what you're used to:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/en/outlook-2013-preview

spongerich
08-04-2012, 06:08 PM
You should take a look at gmail.

Their concept of using labels instead of folders takes a little getting used to, but it's actually much better in the long run.
Rather than having to choose a single folder for a message, you can have multiple labels attached to a message, so if I had an email referring to a customer invoice, I could tag it with the customer id, AND also tag it as "due invoices" and "to-do" I've been using gmail for years and I've never had a problem with losing a single message (which is more than I can say about Microsoft Exchange).

If you need to use your own domain name, they also have business oriented options but they're not free like "regular" gmail.

armedandsafe
08-04-2012, 07:49 PM
I moved from Eudora, which I ran since Beta, to ThunderBird about 9 months ago. I'm very pleased with it.

Pops

Evan
08-04-2012, 09:16 PM
You might try the new Microsoft outlook.com. They have rebuilt Hotmail and the few reviews I have seen are pretty positive. As long as it doesn't have a ribbon menu.

Oh yeah, they also promise to never snoop your mail, only the headers of mail sent to you.

lazlo
08-04-2012, 09:39 PM
Outlook Express was replaced by Windows Live Mail, which has a spam filter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Live_Mail

You can download it (free) here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-live/essentials-other-programs

I can't vouch for it -- I use Outlook mail.

MichaelP
08-05-2012, 02:09 AM
When I went with Win.7, I started using Outlook. I still would switch back to Outlook Express any day if I had a chance. It had a simple and clean interface and was more intuitive. For my purposes it would be more than enough.

lakeside53
08-05-2012, 02:54 AM
I've used Outlook forever.. or so it seems. Maybe 15+ years. I put most onto Windows Live or... Yahoo mail.

Your Old Dog
08-05-2012, 08:22 AM
Thanks guys. Guess if it's true what the say about misery loving company then I should be a happy camper :D I'll try Thunderbird and if it feels cumberson then I'll do the Outlook. I can't believe I'm the only one PO'd that they dumped Outlook Express and that they can't find away to get it back for us. My needs are very simple and I don't like all the distractions and detractors of complicated software.

rws
08-05-2012, 11:12 AM
I'm assuming you know that for T-bird, you have to have a POP3 accessible email account with somebody else. And this put me on a search. I use a wireless modem, and there is no email account with it, so I had to find one. Gmail pops up first, but I refuse to use anything that has Google in it, period. Yahoo is not POP3 unless you pay for it. There are several others that you've probably not ever heard of, I'm trying GMX.com. They are out of Germany I think. Not too bad but sometimes there is a lag in delivery/sending.

J Tiers
08-05-2012, 11:41 AM
Gmail is OK, we use it at work.....

It DOES prompt google to send you ads based on email contents..... so yes, they ARE reading it, and acting on the contents. EVEN the contents of spam incoming....... NEVER for home email...NEVER.

I am sure the google default way of handling replies and email history is fine, IF you want that..... I found it weird, illogical, and a real problem. I prefer to do my OWN sorting and storage, and I find their default setup to be totally non-intuitive as well as just "wrong". I get a fair number of emails that are replied to multiple times back and forth.... Gmail just made that strange.....

I finally made it work normally with the email showing up ONE place in ONE format....organized in order of reply. Personally, I prefer that..... but then I drive a stickshift too, and like it better than an automatic (which I have owned and dumped), so maybe I am just not liking the designers making my decisions for me.

lakeside53
08-05-2012, 11:57 AM
If you use Outlook and Microsoft live, it will setup pretty much automatically and use IMAP instead of POP3. I use the "pay" yahoo service for pops 3, but that's mainly because I've had it forever and can't be bothered changing for $20 a year. The pay service also gives me and ad free client (web based) interface I can use from any computer if I need.

Carld
08-05-2012, 02:24 PM
My new Dell lap top came with Windows 7 and Windows Live Mail. Windows Live Mail is almost identical to Outlook Express. It's not hard to get used to it if your accustomed to using Outlook express. At first I was bewildered at it but as I kept using it I started liking it better than the old Outlook Express.

I look at my email on my servers site and delete what I don't want. I have the send/receive function turned off and I open Live Mail and double click send/receive and download what was left on the server site.

danlb
08-05-2012, 02:52 PM
I'm assuming you know that for T-bird, you have to have a POP3 accessible email account with somebody else.

Thunderbird will do IMAP as well as POP3. Those are protocols for mail CLIENTS to talk to mail SERVERS. Most mail clients use one of those two protocols. A 100% microsoft environment might use something else when talking to an Exchange mail server. Exchange is primarily for business environments where they can afford the extra support people.

Every ISP that I have used has provided an email service via POP3 or IMAP. Thunderbird will do almost all the configuration for you.

Dan

Evan
08-05-2012, 03:36 PM
Windows Live Mail is almost identical to Outlook Express.

Far from it. It insists on separating different accounts the way it wants to instead of letting me filter them to different folders the way I WANT. It also has a bug in the storage folders display that results in mail being dropped into the wrong folder. It has the insanely irritating disorganized ribbon menu. It is also always connected to Microsoft when you use it and you cannot turn that off or it will not run. That is the most objectionable thing about it.

goose
08-06-2012, 11:54 AM
Unfortunately, MS Office "teacher/student" version no longer comes with Outlook. So it gets a bit pricey to find a verson of Office with Outlook bundled. For me, and most people, I don't consider it much of an advantage unless you use all the calendar/scheduling meetings/contacts part anyways.

Consider Opera browser (free), which comes with it's own email client. Also, PostBox (http://postbox-inc.com/) download, which is I think $30 after free trial.

I didn't like T-bird when I downloaded about a year ago, it was a whack-azz trip back to the 1990's it was such a primative interface.

Your Old Dog
08-08-2012, 08:40 AM
UPDATE: The first one of your suggestions I tried I like at first blush. I'm using thunderbird and it doesn't look too far off the mark for me. I am using it pop3 and as someone mentioned, it did all the configuring for me. I don't use separate folders so this looks straight forward enough to work. Thanks again for all the suggestions and input.