PDA

View Full Version : Tool gloat: Bridgeport round ram!

peter76
08-05-2012, 07:41 AM
Just finished cleaning this Bridgeport round ram mill.
It showed up on a second hand site here in the condition shown in the photo's.... Wasn't up for a "project", but couldn't get it out of my mind and then thought if it goes for the scrapping price I'll go for it. Mailed the guy and he was asking € 300,- . So I rang him up and inquired about the the rust on the pictures and what spindle collets it would take ( wouldn't like having one with the b & s ).
The rust was only surface rust and or grease and it was one with a mc2 taper. Went to have a look and machine looked fine, especially for the price; I carefully cranked the handles and underneath the tables the ways were clean and oiled.
We then dismantled it and loaded it in my van ( poor little van:-). Ended up giving € 350,- cause it looked like a really good machine and the seller was really helpfull loading.
After a couple of days cleaning, the last picture shows what I got. I'm so happy with this new tool!!!!

Peter

www.petermoll.nl/divers/bp1.jpg
www.petermoll.nl/divers/bp2.jpg
www.petermoll.nl/divers/bp3.jpg

flylo
08-05-2012, 08:24 AM
Great job cleaning it up. You'll get a lifetime of good use from it, they're good machines. By the way YOU SUCK! Now it's officially a true Tool Gloat! Congrads!, Eric

lowcountrycamo
08-05-2012, 09:54 AM
If you have more rust the local auto store sells rust removal jelly that works well with the scratch proof brillo pads. $350 is a good price as a cheap HF drill press costs that much. I have a round ram with a j head and use it every day.

Tamper84
08-05-2012, 10:16 AM
Looks good!!!

Thomas Staubo
08-05-2012, 06:39 PM
Good for you Peter! http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/happy0034.gif

ammcoman2
08-05-2012, 07:23 PM
If you need to do any refurbishment, here is is some inspiration: http://neme-s.org/shapers/bp.html

GeofF

P.S. nice find.

peter76
08-05-2012, 07:36 PM
I definitely have to check out this rust removal stuff; I have heard about it for ages, but never used it; just scotch brite and wd 40...
@ ammcoman2: already found that site when looking for info on this mill.... But won't have time for a refurbishment right now.... am a young father; not retired:-)

randyjaco
08-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Good on ya Peter
You are now going to have a very interesting restoration project. Be sure to show us your progress.
Randy

BTW YOU SUCK!

smalltime
08-05-2012, 08:58 PM
Good find Peter.
X2 on the keeping us in the loop.

You Suck!
Have a good day.