X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1937 Chief
    • Jul 2009

Cutting a circle OD on a lathe

I need to make a 1 in OD circle out of .250 plexiglass. I can rough cut it on my band saw, but need some info on how to hold the piece to cut the OD. Any thoughts? This is for a oil sight galss window on my lathe.Thanks Stan
  • lugnut
    • Sep 2004

I'll bite. I would rough cut it with the band saw, then using some double sided tape chuck the disk between something in my 3 jaw and something held with my live center in the tail stock. I might work???????????????
    Mel

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
    Oregon Coast

Comment

• macona
      • Aug 2006

I would say the same thing. Carpet tape it to a piece of 7/8" round faced off and then clamp it with the tailstock live center. Use a nickel or something as a pad.

Comment

• winchman
        • Aug 2003

Cut it with a hole saw without using the drill in the center.

Rough on band saw, grip 1/8" in chuck while turning half of OD, then reverse to finish other half. Take light cuts.
        Last edited by winchman; 08-07-2012, 12:55 AM.
        Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

• darryl
          • Jan 2003

You could apply some rubber sheet to a faceplate, then use a live center in the t/s to press a disc against it. With it held lightly, you can tap it around to center it well enough, then up the pressure to keep it in place while you machine it.
          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

• Gazz
            • Feb 2011

Hole saw without the pilot. If you have trouble with the saw wandering, cut a hole in a piece of wood and then clamp that on top of the plastic. The hole in the wood will keep the hole saw from wandering when cutting the plastic.

Comment

• loose nut
              • Sep 2006

Turn a piece of metal just under 1" with a stub that will fit into your tailstock chuck. Then turn another piece, the same diam. and leave it in the chuck. Rough out your work piece and then sandwich it, between the two "holders", on your lathe. Light cuts.
              The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

• Duffy
                • Jul 2007

Stick a square on your faceplate with some DS tape and trepan it. Thin tool and light cuts.
                Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

• MotorradMike
                  • Nov 2009

Same problem, more info from the guys.

My thread from a while ago.
                  Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

• Rosco-P
                    • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Gazz View Post
                    Hole saw without the pilot. If you have trouble with the saw wandering, cut a hole in a piece of wood and then clamp that on top of the plastic. The hole in the wood will keep the hole saw from wandering when cutting the plastic.
                    +1 on this method.

Or flycutter/trepan tool on the drillpress.

Comment

• lane
                      • Aug 2005

Do it all the time . Just saw out a square are any shape large enough to turn to size . Take a piece of fire wood are any wood chuck up in lathe and turn a section about 2 inches long to the diameter you want. Center drill the end and part of a piece about one inch long . Face the end of the piece still in the chuck. Sandwich the plastic between the two pieces of wood ,holding with pressure with the tail stock center .Take light cuts until to size.
                      Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
                      http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
                      http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

• oldtiffie
                        • Nov 1999

Hold the larger sheet (say 3"square) in the "outside" jaws of a 4-jaw chuck and trepan the circular part - use care, small cuts and a sharp trepanning tool.

Comment

• 1937 Chief
                          • Jul 2009

I made my 1'' circles. Thanks for all the info. I used it. Stan

Comment

Working...
                          X