I am interested in feedback about corded/cordless portable bandsaws in
    general and Milwaukee's saws in particular. My application is mainly for
    sparkless cutting of small ferrous bar stock w/ some cutting of hollow
    material and shapes.

I have a number of Milwaukee's 12 & 18V tools with their chargers
    and batteries so one of the bare cordless bandsaws can be added for
    less initial outlay than starting from scratch. That said, it seems a given
    that the corded versions will be more powerful and probably lighter than
    the equivalent cordless unit, at a cost of being tied to an outlet.

I think the following 3" units promise the most utility/value for my wants
    6242-6 (Corded)
    Cap: 3-1/4 x 3-1/4
    Spd: 200-360 SFPM
    Pwr: 120V/7A
    Bld: 35-3/8 In x 0.020
    Wtg: 9.5 lbs
    < $200

2629-20 (Cordless)
    Cap: 3-1/4 x 3-1/4
    Spd: 480 SFPM (No load)
    Pwr: 18V
    Bld: 35-3/8 In x 0.020
    Wtg: 10.25 lbs
    < $220 (Bare tool)

Milwaukee also introduced a 7lb 12V sub-compact w/ 1-5/8″ x 1-5/8 cap
    using a 27" blade. Kind of cute and I can see it being useful for conduit and
    the like, but ...

Their 28V & 120V deep cut saws are bigger than I need. I have a horizontal
    for that kind of cutting.

• lazlo
    • Jun 2006

I have the Milwaukee deep throat Porta-Band, and while it's a nice bandsaw, they took a nose-dive in quality when Milwaukee outsourced them to China in 2010 My welding instructor had one of the last Made in USA models, and I liked it enough to buy one (not knowing about the 2010 transition).

The latest (2012) models are also tiered by motor power, and I can't tell if that's Chinese horsepower, or if there's a real difference in power/torque. My Milwaukee is more difficult to get the cut started than the USA version, but once you're in the cut, it's a nice machine. The deep throat is highly recommended.

At the same price point, I'd take a look at the Dewalt and the Porter Cable versions. Also made in China, but the fit and finish is substantially better than my Milwaukee.

I've heard that the battery powered Portabands are sorely lacking in power and have very short battery lives. YMMV...
    Last edited by lazlo; 08-07-2012, 02:47 PM.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

• EddyCurr
      • May 2009

Originally posted by lazlo View Post
      At the same price point, I'd take a look at the Dewalt and the Porter Cable versions.
      Will do, thanks. I have some Dewalt 18V hardware and a few corded P-C tools.

What sort of blade life do you get with your tool? Is the cut-start difficulty due
      to insufficient power to start while the blade is in contact with the material? What
      is the deal with corded AC/DC tools, is the DC side of these for use with a genset?

Comment

• flylo
        • Apr 2011

I has a PC that fits in a roll around stand. It's the handiest saw I have. It has a chain clamp & is quicker to cut with than my big ones.

Comment

• bosox
          • Jun 2012

This is my portable saw: http://trajansaw.com/view/trajan-125 . Specs are available on that link.
          if you can't take criticism, do the right thing.

Comment

• zipzit
            • Sep 2009

I've got a Milwaukee Portaband that I picked up off of Ebay....

I also purchased a Swag Off Road table for the thing. http://www.swagoffroad.com/SWAG-Port...les-_c_35.html It works well enough for the few things that I have to do. Generally the saw remains on the portable table. I use a spring loaded wood clamp to hold the trigger when using it in vertical band saw mode. I'm an occasionally use only kinda guy.. Would like to have a horizontal band saw, don't have the dedicated floor space to keep it around. The Milwaukee on a Swag off road table was a good compromise of function and minimal storage space.

--zip

Comment

• lakeside53
              • Nov 2007

I have one of the USA deep throat Milwaulkee Porta-band. No problems at all, and I use it a lot, even as a lathe parting tool Paid about $100 on CL a few years ago.

Comment

• flylo
                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by zipzit View Post
                I've got a Milwaukee Portaband that I picked up off of Ebay....

I also purchased a Swag Off Road table for the thing. http://www.swagoffroad.com/SWAG-Port...les-_c_35.html It works well enough for the few things that I have to do. Generally the saw remains on the portable table. I use a spring loaded wood clamp to hold the trigger when using it in vertical band saw mode. I'm an occasionally use only kinda guy.. Would like to have a horizontal band saw, don't have the dedicated floor space to keep it around. The Milwaukee on a Swag off road table was a good compromise of function and minimal storage space.

--zip
                Just an idea on my PC it has a spring wrapped around the trigger & grip so when in the stand you just roll the spring down to hold it on & up when portable. It's almost automatic. I can get a pic if you want. My stand is horiz with a little table for verticle.
                Last edited by flylo; 08-08-2012, 02:26 PM.

Comment

• EddyCurr
                  • May 2009

Originally posted by zipzit View Post
                  I also purchased a Swag Off Road table for the thing.
                  Thanks for the tip about the Swag table - that looks like a useful
                  accessory for a reasonable price.

Turns out that HD here has declared their remaining inventory of
                  6232-6N corded machines as "discontinued" at a discounted price.

No one near me has unopened stock, but there are still a few display
                  machines. Dusty and marred by a few scratches. Case and packaging
                  MIA. Otherwise new. I've put in some offers for mgmt approval and
                  am waiting to hear back.

Comment

• EddyCurr
                    • May 2009

Originally posted by flylo View Post
                    I has a PC that fits in a roll around stand.
                    Milwaukee offers a "Portable Band Saw Table" #48-08-0260 that adapts
                    several of their saws for stationary use, too.

Comment

• Bob Fisher
                      • Jan 2006

My thoughts on the subject, if you use it often, or really need the portability, go cordless. I use my hammer drill and sawzall very seldom, so I bought corded. Not as convienient, but always ready to go. AND no batteries to buy. Plus, the corded tools have more power, and more staying power. I, for one, wonder how we survived without cordless tools, or for that matter, without drywall screws.When did you last drive a slotted screw? Bob

Comment

• rws
                        • Nov 2003

I have a Porter Cable deep throat portaband, and it is by far the most used tool I own! A cordless drill is second, but I am always grabbing the portaband for something. And like said, I use it for a cutoff/parting tool in the lathe more than I do a parting tool!

Comment

• EddyCurr
                          • May 2009

There have been a few votes for the Porter Cable saw and these have not gone
                          unnoticed. However, an orphaned Milwaukee 6232-6N followed me home from HD.

While the tool was a display model, it was located behind the counter at the
                          contractor desk where it was seldom if ever handled. The twist-tie on the power
                          cord was removed for the first time to put the saw in the case. Aside from a few
                          scratches on the motor housing below the logo where the end of the wire display
                          bracket rubbed and a lot of accumulated dust, the kit is complete & perfect.

While the sealed inventory had been marked down substantially, this display model
                          was reduced a LOT further. More tool than I set out to get, but hard to turn my
                          back on. I have gathered several new higher-end tools in recent years through
                          similar good fortune which I could not otherwise have justified purchasing.

I am very pleased with the new acquisition.

Comment

• EddyCurr
                            • May 2009

Originally posted by Bob Fisher View Post
                            ... if you use it often, or really need the portability, go cordless. ... I bought
                            corded. Not as convenient, but always ready to go. AND no batteries to buy.
                            Plus, the corded tools have more power, and more staying power.
                            After disappointments with Ni-Cad cordless tools in the early days, I
                            swore off those and relied on an extensive existing selection of corded
                            tools. It was only prolonged wet weather delaying outdoor projects (for
                            fear of electrocution), combined with buying opportunities that arose at
                            distressed tool outlets a few years ago that led me to try cordless tools
                            again.

Besides the freedom, something else cordless tools introduced into my shop
                            was the keyless chuck. While I was taught early to mate a key to each tool
                            so it would always be in easy reach, keyless is a whole 'nother dimension.
                            Cordless also makes it more practical to have multiple tools configured for
                            sequential tasks in a multi-step job. More than three corded tools plugged
                            in in one location (plus a 100' extension snaking around) gets to be a bit
                            much to navigate.

Preserving the batteries in between jobs is still the principal drawback for
                            me.

Originally posted by Bob Fisher
                            I, for one, wonder how we survived without cordless tools, or for that matter,
                            without drywall screws. When did you last drive a slotted screw?
                            I do not recall, but I remember that the slot got tweaked in the process.

I remember being surprised years ago to learn at the time that Robertson
                            (square drive) was slow to be adopted in some regions where straight and
                            Phillips (cross/star drive) styles were entrenched.

Comment

• oldtiffie
                              • Nov 1999

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
                              I have one of the USA deep throat Milwaulkee Porta-band. No problems at all, and I use it a lot, even as a lathe parting tool Paid about $100 on CL a few years ago.
                              Hm-m-m-m.

You've got me thinking.

If I can't use a hack-saw I use a sawzall which works well but I will check out the Milwaukee Porta-band saw as it looks very attractive.

My 4" x 1mm cut-off discs get a fait bit of use too.

Comment

Working...
                              X