PDA

View Full Version : Getting into a union or getting an internship or apprenticeship?

Tiffany Finks
11-21-2001, 10:08 AM
Its kind of hard just coming straight out of my trade school and looking for an entry-level job in my field when no one wants to hire someone without a couple of years of job experience. I have had about eight months of hands on training, but not job training because I was still in school. What I'm asking you is if there was a way to rememdy this situation?

Ron LaDow
11-21-2001, 12:12 PM
Tiffany,
For starters, put yourself in the position of the company you want to work for. There's no doubt dumb bosses with all sorts of personal agendas, but most just want to make some money. How can you help them do that?
Also, everyone hiring wants all the experience they can afford for that position. They may list experience as a requirement when they really mean it to be a desire. Regardless of what the ad says, try applying anyhow. If you're located where there is a big pool of qualified and experienced machinists, the companies will hire them. You'll need to make your skills or costs more attractive.
BTW, I'm pretty sure most everyone on the list went through this for their first job. It doesn't make things easier, but you WILL get a job.
Ron LaDow

Thrud
11-22-2001, 12:58 AM
Tiffany,

Getting your foot in the door is hard anywhere these days regardless of job choice. If you can afford more school, and are still interested in machining consider taking courses on CNC operator and programming. These are skills comming into greater demand daily. If you produce any projects or parts keep them to show a prospective employer - answer questions honestly, letters from instructors can help (or not). Make sure you know how to use and care for the basic tools, learn how to read them properly. If you cannot measure a part, you will have a tough time getting a job.

Expect to get the worst job in the shop (you have to start somewhere) and always do your absolute best. Never tell the boss he is full of BS, have respect for those that came before you, and listen and learn from everyone.

Job hunting is tough, keep at it, do not get discouraged and believe in yourself. You will get the right job - do not give up!

Good Luck Hunting...

Dave

charlie coghill
11-22-2001, 01:51 AM
When you go and ask for a job be as neat and plesant looking as possible,but don't over dress. Like looking for a machinest job, don't wear a suite and tie.

When I was in school I had a professor that was personal supvisor for an oil co. He made the statement " during an interview if a person could not get by without a cigarette, he would not hire the person". Think about it,he has the job, you want,impress him.

Keep going back every so often and talking to the person, even though there is no job,it shows interest.

Hope I have not over stepped my self.
Charlie.

decoy91288
11-22-2001, 05:28 PM
tiffany -- In the last few months there have been several entry level machinist jobs advertised in north Texas (Dallas, Clarksville, Tyler) promising to train "qualified" applicants. You might consider changing locations if there is a glut of competition where you are.

gizmoid_52
11-23-2001, 10:17 AM
Hi Tiffany, I appreciate your situation. It is hard to find work as a an entry level machinist especially in these hard times.
In my local, everybody in the trade seems to be in the lay off or scale down mode.
But don't get discouraged, keep looking, let the telephone do a lot of leg work for you, call some shops, see if they are hiring
and ask if you can get an interview.
Union shops may be another nut to crack,
I have never had a union job, however I have
worked for the same company for 23years and they have always treated me fair and right.
If you can find a union shop, and get hired great!
I also would watch the paper, and do a internet job search, and by all means go to the Machinists union, and tell them what you want. Ask if there any apprenticeships available.
And finally, don't ask a potential employer if he has a position for a machinist. Say instead that you are looking for work, and if he hires you, do the very best work you can. Where I work, we have been going though a very slow time, the people I work for have been very gracious and
kept us working. I see many guys standing around talking. They are the ones who came looking for a job. Then I see the ones who came looking for work, they are busy, When they run out of work to do, and can't find anything to do, they go to the boss and say
I need some work to do. The work he gives them may be a bit out of their field, but they get work, and learn something new.
NOW when layoff time comes around he will
remember those who have worked hard, and those who have leached off the system, In my personal opinion, the worker has a better chance than the slacker.

your friend, Jack

[This message has been edited by gizmoid_52 (edited 11-23-2001).]

jkilroy
11-23-2001, 04:18 PM
Hi Tiffany,

The job market is tough right now, which is for sure. I got laid off from my hi-tech job a month ago, and the search has been rough. I assume that with Tiffany as a name that you are female? If this is the case, lets face it, your field is mostly men, and you need to exploit that advantage. Don't get me wrong, I am sure you measure up technically, and deserve the job as much as the next 'guy' with similar experience. However, if you have the opportunity to take advantage of entering a male dominated field, why not? Take advantage of your "minority" status. (Before anyone goes off on a political rant, this isn't about personal beliefs or what’s right or wrong, its about helping this person find a job)

How can you take advantage of this? Find large companies that take government contracts. Because they take on these contracts they have to meet federal standards for all sorts of stuff, and that includes hiring practices.

Also, go ahead and deal with relocation. The best jobs with the best companies will probably require relocating. Being open to relocation makes all the jobs in the world available.

Some companies I would suggest are:

Raytheon
Lockheed Martin
GE
United Airlines
Eaton
Boeing

All of these companies handle billions in government contracts. Sure, most of them have done some huge layoffs, but lets not forget to exploit one last advantage. You are fresh out of school, and a hell of a lot cheaper than a person with 10 years experience. These massive companies need to hire "minorities" and they can afford you. Whatever you do, don't give up. Get on the Internet and send out resumes and letters till you can't see straight.

Good luck,

------------------
James Kilroy

Tom1017
11-23-2001, 08:28 PM
Tom1017
Tiffany,
I.m gonna asume your a girl and this is very good you are a minority point this out as it may help fill a quota. Just out of school everyone wants to start at the top of the heap being willing to do the crappy little jobs no one wants always scores points with the boss. Consider getting some experience in a job shop it anit GE but it pays the bills and gets you EXPERENCE. Good luck keep pluggin a good attitude will get you some altitude. Tom107

kap pullen
11-27-2001, 10:19 AM
Tiffany,
You'll have to start at the bottom. Take a saw operators job in a small shop.
Be careful, measure twice, cut once.
In a small shop you will run out of work sawing.
The boss will set up a bridgeport and let you drill or mill in your spare time.
You have to gain the bosses confidence and make yourself more valuable at something other than the saw.
Few bosses will risk valuable equipment or materals on an unknown person.
If you can find an apprenticeship, thats the best. Apprenticeships are few and far between these days. Most apprenticeships have a long waiting list.

Good Luck
Kap Pullen

crypto
11-27-2001, 12:44 PM
Hi,

I'm new to this website but I have been impressed by the willingness, eagerness of its participants to share helpful knowledge.
One of the most successful means of finding jobs is through networking. Therefore, I would suggest that you inform us of the area in which you are seeking employment. The greater the number of persons that are aware of your need the greater the chance of finding the job. From recent personal experience of others, stay away from CNC shops, poor pay and very limited job experiences/opportunities (you are just a parts loader). A job in a job shop where you will receive a variety of shop work is far more useful for your future in this trade.

Remember that regardless of the current bleak aspect of the job market-there is always a job waiting to be filled. Recently a friend who was looking for work just picked up the phonebook and began going thru the machine shop listings. Found two jobs right away. Shop owners were desperate for help. And this in the Silicon Valley area that is currently so depressed. So, keep trying friend, good luck.

Daubie
12-02-2001, 06:33 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tiffany Finks:
Its kind of hard just coming straight out of my trade school and looking for an entry-level job in my field when no one wants to hire someone without a couple of years of job experience. I have had about eight months of hands on training, but not job training because I was still in school. What I'm asking you is if there was a way to rememdy this situation?</font>
------------------------
Yes, the American trade system is a joke! I learned welding on the job by a friendly enough, but very demanding GERMAN patternmaker, trained in BERLIN, post WWII. He told me when HIS apprenticeship (the old European guild system) was over he had a job set up for life. One catch though, he said he could never own his own house there, so he came to the USA in 1960.// You need to knock on a lot of doors, actually door to door, DON'T GET DISCOURAGED! Get yourself a phonebook and business directories, go to the library for help, ask a reference librarian, most all my jobs were from newspaper ads. STAY AWAY FROM AGENCIES! If you want to work, do quality work, be there every day, don't do drugs, and work cheap enough to get your foot in the door, and be willing to pick up a broom if they ask you, you won't have any problems.// When I go to an interview, I am dressed in clean work clothes, READY TO WORK!, tool box in the car, and I tell them too, when they ask me, "When can you start," I say, "Immediately!"// It's a numbers game, kind of like playing the lottery. Just apply to a whole lot of companies. If I had to start over again, I'd find a jobbing shop, great place to learn. Better to go to an area where there is a lot of competition for skilled jobs, like Hackensack, NJ or around Patterson or Newark, NJ or St. Louis, you need to go to big industrial cities like Los Angelis ( I hear tell, you can change jobs once a week, there are so many shops in L.A.). Another route is the US NAVY, but get it guaranteed in writing, THEIRS, before you sign yours---the Rating is called Machinery Repairman, six years of solid experience.// Anyway, once in the job, stay a few years, buy yourself a mess of tools and a big toolbox with HANDLES on it, when the time comes to ask for more money and more opportunity, if they say NO---move on to the next job, that's how I did it.// Remember this, if you want it bad enough, you will find a way to accomplish it. (An old fart engineer told me that once, I thought he was nuts. But you know, he was exactly correct!). Now I am almost an old fart, wife says I already am!

Kurt

SGW
12-02-2001, 08:47 AM
Not "old fart" -- "elder statesman"!

Thrud
12-02-2001, 07:56 PM
Ben Franklin wrote a book called "Fart Proudly", and as a "elder statesman", I always do - share with your friends!

Dave
(sorry - could not help myself ;-) )

crypto
12-03-2001, 01:56 PM
Hello Tiffany,

In my reply to your entry I should have specified that the reason that my friend was able to immediately pick up two job offers was that he had MANUAL SKILLS. CNC operators are a dime a dozen. This is why even a very modest position (at modest pay) in JOB shops that will familiarize you with a fuller view of the trade will be more rewarding.

After reading the "elder statesmens" comments I ask this question, Do you really wish to become involved with such uncouth rabble as these typical machinist types?

spope14
12-03-2001, 09:07 PM
FROM A TEACHER IN THE FIELD

here is some advise. #1, what state are you from? In New Hampshire, there are programs offered through the state employment services that get people into internships, apprenticeships, and other things. I treach people from all fields. I also try to get my students into internships (called co-ops)during their training time. Check your state employment services.

#2, Check around, internet, other. Does your state have a machinist association? NH does, and it offers a "MECH TECH" program for people like you. This program is acually used in many states. Works on this principal. You are hired on in the MECH TECH program, you are rotated through 4 to 8 different shops in four years, work full time, have bennies, and at night you take classes through the local community colleges or other training facilities (I am one). At the end of four years, you have work experience, a valid certificate, and a degree in the field to boot. Three of my students have done this, they make more than I do (grumble). Feel free to start with the New Hampshire Machining Association on the web, e-mail them, and see if they might know of a machinist assn in your state.

#3. Check your local voc-tech - either HS or Post Secondary. Talk with the guidance personell, placement office, or the metals instructors, There are so many job offers for too few students. Being one of these teachers, if you came wandering into my shop, i would be on the horn getting our name out as a live one, and looking forward to your company helping pay for more training, and having a very willing student!!!!.

#4 - Check the NIMS (www.nims-skills.org) web site to find certified schools, and call or visit them. each NIMS certified school has to have a group of companies helping in sponsoring them, read NETWORKING!!!!! read INTEREST IN TRAINING AND GOOD INTERESTED PEOPLE!!!!!

In spite of a recession, the jobs are still there!!! Just a few suggestions.

Please feel free to write with more info., I can see what I can help find out

Daubie
12-04-2001, 08:08 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tiffany Finks:
Its kind of hard just coming straight out of my trade school and looking for an entry-level job in my field when no one wants to hire someone without a couple of years of job experience. I have had about eight months of hands on training, but not job training because I was still in school. What I'm asking you is if there was a way to rememdy this situation?</font>
----------------------------
Hi again,

Don't believe all the media crap that we are in a recession. A very good barometer is the construction trades. If you look in the want ads and see lots of ads for carpenters especially during the winter time, that is a pretty good indicator that the economy is doing well. With interest rates at close to zero, that has to spark new building projects. Did you notice? As soon as Mr. Bush took control, we were in a recession. The Democrats and the media walk hand in hand! No, I'm not a Republican. And what about that trillion dollar deficit? Where'd it go during the Clinton years?

I think your profile states you are in the Detroit area. When Ford was in Mahwah, NJ there were LOTS of the local area sub-contractors suppling them parts. At that time in the 70's and 80's there were three pages of nothing but machinist's ads in THE BERGEN RECORD. True that was before the CNC popularity, do more with less. The problem I have found in the smaller, especially non-union shops is, I have never seen more than 2 women machinists in 20 years of working. There are a bunch of red necks around where I live! As a female you should use your MINORITY status to your advantage. As said here before, you would probably fair better if you went after a big federally funded union shop or auto maker as they will have minority QUOTAS to fill. If you are divorced and have kids, better yet! The problem I have found in UNION shops is if you want to move up, you usually have to wait for someone to retire or die. At the entry level, you will be able to move up rather quickly to a certain level, then you will stagnate. Some people don't mind that, as long as they are making the bucks. But if you have any creative juices flowing, it will get to you. Also guys are treated much harder in this trade than women, the women machinists I have seen had gotten themselves pretty good "cushy" jobs, just beacause of the illusion that they are "just girls." I did see one VERY GOOD female, she at about 25 years old that had come out of the US NAVY program, there was no guy in that shop to match her, she was that good. She did not take crap from anybody. Some of the guys had their nudie pin up calendars. Well, she brought in HERS, of guys in the buff. THAT WAS FUNNY!! HA!

Kurt

Daubie
12-04-2001, 08:41 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by spope14:
FROM A TEACHER IN THE FIELD

here is some advise. #1, what state are you from? In New Hampshire, there are programs offered through the state employment services that get people into internships, apprenticeships, and other things. I treach people from all fields. I also try to get my students into internships (called co-ops)during their training time. Check your state employment services.

#2, Check around, internet, other. Does your state have a machinist association? NH does, and it offers a "MECH TECH" program for people like you. This program is acually used in many states. Works on this principal. You are hired on in the MECH TECH program, you are rotated through 4 to 8 different shops in four years, work full time, have bennies, and at night you take classes through the local community colleges or other training facilities (I am one). At the end of four years, you have work experience, a valid certificate, and a degree in the field to boot. Three of my students have done this, they make more than I do (grumble). Feel free to start with the New Hampshire Machining Association on the web, e-mail them, and see if they might know of a machinist assn in your state.

#3. Check your local voc-tech - either HS or Post Secondary. Talk with the guidance personell, placement office, or the metals instructors, There are so many job offers for too few students. Being one of these teachers, if you came wandering into my shop, i would be on the horn getting our name out as a live one, and looking forward to your company helping pay for more training, and having a very willing student!!!!.

#4 - Check the NIMS (www.nims-skills.org) web site to find certified schools, and call or visit them. each NIMS certified school has to have a group of companies helping in sponsoring them, read NETWORKING!!!!! read INTEREST IN TRAINING AND GOOD INTERESTED PEOPLE!!!!!

In spite of a recession, the jobs are still there!!! Just a few suggestions.

Please feel free to write with more info., I can see what I can help find out

</font>
-----------------------------
Hi,

Yes, from what I have seen, New Jersey and New Hampshire care about retaining the trades and have schools available to that end.

There use to be opportunities for schooling here in Orange County, NY a few years back, but both the Community College and the Vo-Tech BOCES no longer offer classes, the college auctioned off all their machines and tools. The concensus of industry around here is CNC IS KING, which of course is not true, only in a production environment.

In the 1970's when I started out I could not find any local schools, anywhere. In NY City there was a very good trade school---VOORHEES, but I did not care to commute to the city every day. That school is defunct today, as is I think also the one at Westchester Community College is. I did find a federally funded 165 hour, 10 week training course running the old WWII era Warner and Swassey turret lathes in a local shop manufacturing automatic control valves. I had access to this training thru JOB SERVICE at the New York State Unemployment Office having been laid off in the consturction trades. That was my entry portal into the machinist trade. From there I learned on the job as I moved around, until I found a toolmaker willing to teach me tool and die work, but it wasn't formal, no certificate. Some jobs out there do require that piece of paper. And then again I know a guy I worked with go thru a 4 year apprenticeship in tool and die work, that all he did in all 4 years was dis-assemble dies, resharpen punches and reassemble them. He got full journeyman pay, and did not know diddly! I bet he got a rude surprise when that company folded and he went looking for work telling employers he was a toolmaker! HA!

Kurt

spope14
12-04-2001, 07:48 PM
To all involved in training and certification:

Seek out NIMS (National Institute of Metalworking Standards) shcools and testing sites if you have recently graduated from Trade school and such. These "certificates of skills" are becoming worth their weight in gold, as they show you have passed at least baseline standards in several areas, and they provide for advanced syandards testing. I am involved in this now, and find it to be challenging. There are several NIMS sites throughout the US, and several companies recognizing these certificates.

I am not a NIMS employee, but do see how this is standardinging base knowledge so that the four year tool and die maker who only pulls things apart is not able to fake it through.

NAIT
03-01-2004, 05:37 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by charlie coghill:
When you go and ask for a job be as neat and plesant looking as possible,but don't over dress. Like looking for a machinest job, don't wear a suite and tie.
When I was in school I had a professor that was personal supvisor for an oil co. He made the statement " during an interview if a person could not get by without a cigarette, he would not hire the person". Think about it,he has the job, you want,impress him.</font>

There are several people in my machining course looking for work, and you can usually tell why they never get past the first interview. (Most hiring decisions are made in the first thirty seconds. The rest of the interview time is verification and filler).

A couple of them, told they can't smoke in class, conspicuously keep a cigarette in their mouth or behind their ear. You can almost see the instructor strugggling to stay quiet when he's watching them machine with an unlit cigarette hanging from their lip.

[This message has been edited by NAIT (edited 03-01-2004).]

NAIT
03-01-2004, 05:41 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by spope14:
Seek out NIMS (National Institute of Metalworking Standards) shcools and testing sites if you have recently graduated from Trade school and such. These "certificates of skills" are becoming worth their weight in gold, as they show you have passed at least baseline standards in several areas, and they provide for advanced standards testing.</font>

Does a certificate like this count towards the apprenticeship, or is it just a way to get into an apprenticeship ?

Mcruff
03-01-2004, 08:58 PM
Tiffany one other thing and I don't mean to offend anyone here is to look for a apprenticeship in a smaller company (12-25 employees)that builds plastic injection molds and dies, these are referred to as toolmakers and not machinist, toolmakers do not belong to a union simply because we are a dying breed and can find work easier without union help than machinists can, long hours of work for toolmakers and quick training on a CNC for the young machinists out of school have stiffled a dying trade. We always command top dollar usually in the $17-$23 an hour pay scale, while some machinist are very skilled the vast majority cannot hold there own to a mediocre die maker or moldmaker. I have worked with some very good machinists but to specialize in dies or molds will get you a job faster down the road than any machinist can ever find one.
Large companies usually have better benefits but you have to deal with the politics of the company and usually lower wages than the smaller companies are willing to pay (usually better by several $ an hour), its a trade off. You will almost always learn more in the smaller companies as there work is more diverse, large companies tend to specialize in specific types of work and if you try to go somewhere else you will quickly learn the limitations of your apprenticeship and training. My training as a toolmaker involved designing and drwing my own molds and tooling, along with drawing in CAD later when it came out, heattreating, and later as they became more in use CAM programming for running the CNC's along with all the other machines needed to build the molds, EDM, grinding, milling, turning, texturing, polishing and fitting.
Don't be affraid to knock on the small shops doors as they will give you a much better education than the large companies ever will, if you do go to mold and die shops make sure the place is clean and the equipment looks like it is in good shape as this is an indicator of a very good mold/tool shop, all of the ones I worked in but (1) you could almost eat off the floors and they were air conditioned because most of the molds are very precision and need to be in a controlled temperature to fit the molds together.

Good Luck!!

ARFF79
03-02-2004, 12:25 AM
Tiffany
JKilroy writes that you should try some of the larger companies. Do not even try Boeing. Look for their sub-contractors. Several of my freinds used to work for Boeing here in Philadelphia, but are now laid off with little hope of going back. Boeing has adopted a policy of outsourcing as much work as possible. The new line is that "We will just assemble the aircraft, not make all of the part that go into it. In St. Louis they sold the machine shop to a European based outfit that also makes parts for Airbus, Boeings main competitor. Not only did they sell the physical assets, but the employees as well. Who said slavery no longer was practiced in the U.S. (they had a poor choice, go with the new company at a reduced rate and fewer benifits or just take a layoff with out any openings to be recalled to). One of my friends said that the work was going down to the south and to the southwestern U.S due to the relatively cheaper wage scale(subjective in my opinion). So sub-contractors are the place to go. If you are single and not tied to your hometown, look to relocate to where the jobs are. If I was younger I would go into the Navy if they had any openings in machinery MOS. Just do not give up.

docsteve66
03-03-2004, 12:07 AM
My word gents, Tiffany asked the question in November 2001. I have not seen any recent posts by her/him. THere are a lot of old threads being resurrected and, seems to me, if you continue reading later months, the questions have been answered time and time again.

Tiffany probably has a job by now. I think our chains are being yanked for some reason.
Steve

NAIT
03-03-2004, 01:09 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by docsteve66:
There are a lot of old threads being resurrected and, seems to me, if you continue reading later months, the questions have been answered time and time again...I think our chains are being yanked for some reason.</font>

Not by me. These are issues of enduring interest and I asked legitimate questions of people who are current on the forum - in this case Charlie Coghill and Spope14. I even included a quote to indicate where exactly the original posting was. I have legitimate observations about the employability of machine shop students, and I have a legitimate question about NIMS Certificate applicability towards an apprenticeship. I don't see why some people see hidden meanings where there are none. If you've read the thread before, don't read it again ! Newcomers are apparently interested in these senior threads and are enthusiastially contributing. So what's the problem ?

[This message has been edited by NAIT (edited 03-03-2004).]

NAIT
03-03-2004, 01:11 AM
Sorry. Clicked the wrong button.

[This message has been edited by NAIT (edited 03-03-2004).]

docsteve66
03-05-2004, 06:09 PM
NAIT: I only intended to point out that "Tiffany" was not going to benefit from advice- and same thing might apply to other old threads.

I've no reason to object to resurrecting old threads-often done it my self. You say "I don't see why some people see hidden meanings where there are none. If you've read the thread before, don't read it again ! Newcomers are apparently interested in these senior threads and are enthusiastially contributing. So what's the problem ?"

I have no problem, but it IS extremely difficult to know if I have read something before with out reading it again (that ability would be a real time saver for me)- and the most recent addition should be/might be of current interest. So no problem- If the chain yank comment offends you- Sorry, it was not intended to be offensive.

But I notice that when you pour hot water on a pig it squeals, or when squealing occurs some one may have accidentally spilled hot water on some one.

Anyway, My apologies if I inadvertently offended on this or the previous post. Subject closed on this end- I don't intend read this thread again.

chkz
03-06-2004, 12:39 AM
Hi Tiffany....haven't read the whole thread, maybe someone has suggested this already but you might consider the Millwrights union. They quite often offer apprenticeships...its a great way to get your "feet wet" in an industrial environment and you may quite often run into people/places/plants that may offer you a straight-up job in a machine shop!! Just a thought....if they're not listed in your local yellow pages call the united brotherhood of carpenters & joiners of America....and ask 'em for the number of the nearest Millwrights local (millwrights are a div. of UBC&J of A)....good luck!!

ibewgypsie
03-06-2004, 10:47 PM
Union Machinists hate Union Millwrights. I don't know why I just see it on a weekly basis. So they (machinists) tell me they made Millwright jobs from work stolen from all the other crafts. Lots of animosity.

Most the crafts also dislike the Boilermakers. Again no clue why. I think they are the highest paid worker on a site thou.

I ain't got time to hate anyone. Life is too short.

Most the other crafts think "Us" electricians a spoiled prima donna's.. No clue about that.

I'd research them all. Talk to them all. I kinda wish I had done things differently in the beginnning.

Personal politics is something everyone should learn. DOn't laugh. People talk bad about other people and climb the ladder of success by removing threats. Being Honest, hardworking and reliable is not enough. You also have to be liked and even then watch your back for knives.

I don't suggest anyone get into Construction. If you like traveling to jobs an living in travel trailers or motels, it is great. There is a extremly high divorce rate. You make a lot of money. Problem is you don't get to keep as much. It is expensive to keep two homes up.

Everything looks starry and exciting from the outside. Kinda romantic.

If I had it to do over, I would become a cnc expert. A cnc programmer, maintenance man, installer, factory rep, anything but a construction electrician. I did have a robot-tech job I dearly loved recently. Too bad it was just night shift and I could not adjust. I still email them asking about a dayshift job.

Think about what you want and where you want to go in your life.

Sorry for the reality check.

David..

spope14
03-07-2004, 10:36 PM
Nait, my post was a few years back, and i still post. I will take the time to answer later as it is very late in my home, but I post now to let you knoe I read this, and to keep it "red" enveloped the next time I check the page tomorrow so I may give a better answer.

We have done NIMS mant times now, and I have new info on it. I will get it tomorrow and re-post.