PDA

View Full Version : Why not??

Randolph
03-06-2004, 02:32 PM
Has anybody besides me ever wondered why there isn't a program on Public TV or on one of the cable channels about metal working? Something similar to that excellent program about wood working called "The New Yankee Workshop"? I may object mildly to it being called "Yankee" but I think there would be a great interest in such a program.

bbfmetalworking
03-06-2004, 02:43 PM
Probably ain't enough of us to make a respectable audience...

pgmrdan
03-06-2004, 02:51 PM
I did catch parts of some episodes about blacksmithing on the RFD (?) channel.

I wish I could see it from the beginning.

Alistair Hosie
03-06-2004, 03:21 PM
I think this was brought up before a while ago we discussed the need then, sadly nothing has been done yet.Even more sadly you can't even get/buy good videos in UK format. What alife http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif Alistair

Chester
03-06-2004, 03:51 PM
Really think there would be a lack of sponsors AND viewers. Take a look at the numbers, HSM maybe 25000 (?) subscribers, FWW and Woodsmith group half a million + (?) each. If there is anyway you can do it........I'll be watching!

ibewgypsie
03-06-2004, 06:54 PM
I took a harley fender, sandbag, hammer and beat a special shaped dent into it to hold the 37 chevy tail light. The onlookers thought that was the neatest thing.

Kinda boring forming metal by hand. Slow and tedious, not very many brain cells needed. Just a lot of sweat.

Reckon people would want to see a greybearded large man go rap rap rap with a hammer? I think not.

David

gunsmith
03-06-2004, 07:48 PM
This is were Neil is going to step in and say, "It's funny you should mention this,we are about to" and so on. As I understand it all it takes is someone to put a demo tape together and sell it to the right people. I for one would support it and I know others who would to. I think between you folks south of the boarder and us on the snowy side, we could certainly put together a million viewers. I think I'm going to get started right now and let my drooping handlebar mustache extend down my throat. Just call me "Paul". http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Alistair Hosie
03-06-2004, 08:02 PM
Ibewgypsie
David you seem to have a bad habit of underestimating your own talents.I have only seen a few of your things plus your shop half the equipment there is made by you,and it's pretty impressive.I think you ought to take stock of what you have achieved a little more.
Seems to me and quite a few others your a pretty talented guy (all round) no pun intended http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif so keep up the good work hammer or no hammer http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif regards Alistair

Shed Machinist
03-06-2004, 08:03 PM
I don't know, if it was similar to a American "Chopper" where the "building" is really assembling. lol

wierdscience
03-06-2004, 08:27 PM
Ya,put together a video and send it off to a tv bigwig,seening as how their out of new ideas they might just jump on it.Or if all else fails we could all get together and do a topless video http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gifI can see it now"Machinists gone wild" http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

ibewgypsie
03-06-2004, 08:28 PM
American chopper has conflict, they cry like babies, argue. I hate conflict and can not understand why it is still on the air. THe audience must be starved for something new.

Hungry for real shows, not work for a millionaire or on a desert island with all these tools, or eating raw worms. Television SUCKS, I rarely watch it.

David

Smokedaddy
03-06-2004, 08:34 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ibewgypsie:

Reckon people would want to see a greybearded large man go rap rap rap with a hammer? I think not.
</font>

Dunno,

Depends on what your apprentice might look like and how functional the projects are.

-SD:

irnsrgn
03-06-2004, 08:34 PM
ibewgypsie, by your post I take it you have not kept up on your history lessons. Blacksmithing has been around for 5000 to 6000 years. Blacksmithing is the KING or trades as most of the other trades depend on the blacksmith to make their tools. The blacksmith was the center of any town as the smith was the one who could make or repair anything. The word Blacksmith comes from the word Black for Iron, known as the blackmetal and smith, an artisan or craftsman. To make their lives easier and more productive blacksmiths started inventing machines to help them in their so called (your words - brainless) endevoures to keep the wheels of industry, commerce and daily life working in an orderly and easier fashion. Obviously you have never seen the amazing and intriquite work of Samuel Yellin, Americas most famous Blacksmith, in our nations capital and Philadelphia. All machine tools can trace their roots back to some (brainless) old blacksmith. If you want to get down to the nitty gritty, a modern machinist just uses a sophisticated machine to shape metal to his desires. If you want to really use your brain cells, try shaping the same thing with a forge, anvil, hammer and hand files. Have you the brain cells to cut a keyseat by hand without the aid of a sophisticated machine to do it for you. You should be thankfull to those old smiths who developed the technology and the first machines to do metal work easily. In theory you are a blacksmith as you are a craftsman in Iron. I am a 3rd generation BLACKSMITH and PROUD of it. You Evidently have not been to a living history place or a Steam Show, as there is always a crowd around the blacksmith marvelling at his skill to manipulate iron into something useful and beautiful. I do blacksmithing, welding and machine work, but I list my occupation as BLACKSMITH.

I have tempered my emotions and language in this post, as you set my emotions and my few brain cells into high gear with your post.

irnsrgn

motorworks
03-06-2004, 08:39 PM
What's TV
I can't find mine ever since high speed!!

ibewgypsie
03-06-2004, 09:22 PM
Irn..

Don't be so sensitive and offended, I meant no insult to a trade I know nothing about.

Shaping sheetmetal with a small hammer over a sandbag is a long way from black smithing.

Long way. I am amazed at what they used to accomplish. The english wheel was fashioned to produce armor. I ain't got a clue how, thousand years of development probably. There is a market for knightly armor.

Even the plains indians that fashioned arrowheads from the iron skillets they stole from the whites.. HOW? did they hammer them out? They didn't have saws, cutting torches, or files?

You are reading something I didn't say.
I did say shaping the sheetmetal with a hammer was kinda mindless. You do keep a mental image of the end result and work toward it.

David

irnsrgn
03-06-2004, 09:34 PM
skillets are usually cast iron, they cut them out of light iron, using hammers and chisels acquired thru trading with the white man, and using the side of an axe for an anvil, and they probably traded for a few files too.

Irnsrgn

spkrman15
03-07-2004, 12:05 AM
Shed

I agree with you. American chopper is just a bunch of guys asembling things. I beleive there is talent there, just the T.V. Spin on it makes it somewhat uninteresting to me. I must be in the minority. It is still on....with adds during the supper bowl for high speed internet!??!

I beleive a show about metal working would be interesting. There is alot of talent out there. Finding them would be hard or am i wrong here?

Rob http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

docsteve66
03-07-2004, 06:19 AM
TV for us?

Any of you remember the old carnivals? As kid, I could not afford to pay to get in, so I worked, picked up trash, fetched and carried. In return, I had free admission to the "great shows" and a little peek behind the curtains to see the persons who made the shows work. Still, I had to pay for rides and side shows and cotton candy- but by golly the friends were impressed cause I was known to the guys who carried the elephant dung (more likely doggy do)or even if the dung carriers did not remember me, I "knew them" and could expound to my friends..

TV reminds me of the carnival, thrilling rides if you just relax and believe- boring as hell if you know how the machinery is fooling you into thinking you fell a hundred feet free fall. Side shows where you can see the dog faced man eat a live animal. You walk down the line of shows- some barker trying to lure you into HIS show but you can not see them all. Don't want to miss the girly show if you are old nuff to bluff your way in and young nuff to care, but you gotta see the strong man. Watch the fattest man shake his fat for you, wonder about the bearded lady. Thats TV to me. Part of the lure is not being able to see all the shows and until you pay the price (TIME) you have no idea what you are missing. But, as in the carnival, on TV you don't hear the "short change artist" aspect, nor how the game is rigged so the prizes stay on the shelves and the pick pockets. THe "barker" (TV shows publicity) wants to get you in so the head count goes up and the show stays on. THe ticket taker (sponsor) wants your business and the pick pocket (retailer) tries to get what money you have on you. To add insult to injury, most of us get admission money from a loan shark (credit card) to enable us to get in the gate and act our parts (sucker).

My last fifteen minutes of TV was watching 9/11 where the american public learned that when the towers are falling, its every man for himself. Run and push and shove and add to the panic is the way to do it. THe calm real heroes (the victims were not heroes-just victims) were the ones who quietly minimized damage and did what they had learned from John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart and a few others (maybe Paladin?). Made me sick to my belly then and I still object to calling victims heroes, the mostly unmentioned persons aboard that air line who said "lets roll" and rode it into the ground are heroes and, though TV could not show them, they should be the emblem of what an attacked country does. TV has taught us (by example) how to speak, love, ethics and morals.

So I don't long for a TV show about anything- like the carnival barker wants us to come in for some simple reasons- a sold ticket keeps the carnival going, when you pay your entry fee,the ticket seller tries to short change you, pick pockets abound, lies for truth. I remember a PBS show about bridge building on the Mississippi river. Very interesting but still a spin on everything other than the technical details- and there were few real technical details.

A show on machining would probably warn of the dangers of coolants, beryllium, the eco-dangers of men who make or repair guns, with the latest ads from sellers of lathes with american made decals and iron from india, labeled "Power from USA manufacturers, support your country-buy american" When only the power cord is made in USA. Suspense added by wearing a tie and no glasses- plus they would advise thick gloves to protect the hands from drill press accidents.

This BB provides what TV promises- knowledge, free discussion, dissenting opinions side by side with time for rebuttal till the horse is beat to death.

ANd I now realize I have just beat the horse- Think on it and fuss at me. Maybe we would share a beer and watch TV together (NOT SIDE BY SIDE TOGETHER. just same shows for mutual understanding) if I am persuaded the tv has relevance.

Steve

BTW- I took my children to carnivals and the modern replacement, bought the cotton candy, let them pitch dime and throw balls. Surprising (as they got a little older) how many of the carnival hands would spill the beans when I explained how the tricks that I understood worked. I admired the tricks, taught the girls to admire also and the carnival men wanted to show that even us guys who "knew the secrets" did not know them all- But all the carny types knew the tricks. I do love a carnival and today I will take my Grand son to a "festival".

Eleven years old and it took me hours to understand that he had learned a lesson. He was touching "Swords" where the sign said no one under 18 could touch the swords. He was telling the other little boys (and their mother/fathers that "those are fakes , not real swords". Even I warned him that he was to keep his hands off or I would remove him. Kid explained over hot dogs that he was NOT disobeying the owners instruction- those were NOT swords- they were metal imitations just as the plastic ones (which he was encouraged to touch) were imitations.

Oh, for the fresh view of a child- I was fooled but he was not. Like TV?

abn
03-07-2004, 06:23 AM
...Because then it would be even harder to get good deals on ebay http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Randolph:
Has anybody besides me ever wondered why there isn't a program on Public TV or on one of the cable channels about metal working? Something similar to that excellent program about wood working called "The New Yankee Workshop"? I may object mildly to it being called "Yankee" but I think there would be a great interest in such a program.</font>

wierdscience
03-07-2004, 09:15 AM
I enjoy the Woodwright the most,Roy does an excellent job of educating the public on how things were done before the reign of power cords.I really love the episodes where he visits the blacksmiths at Williamsburg.Heck they should make Williamsburg into a tv show,lots of neat stuff there.Naw!their more obsessed with who's on American idol-talk about tv wasteland!

PSD KEN
03-07-2004, 11:05 PM
Lotta hoopla about "friends" being dropped after x years, gosh,I've never seen the program.
Anyone mention a sitcom program or star, I stare blankly, who? what?