PDA

View Full Version : OT: Anyone know about Dell D610 laptops?

J Tiers
09-03-2012, 11:00 AM
One of the ones here abruptly quit in mid-boot, and will not show any lights anymore. A "noise" was reported to have been made when it quit, but it is unclear whether this was an "electrical" noise, or the sound of the CDrom drive, or the like. I was not there.

I have the service manual, I have looked in the unit very thoroughly. it appears to be a hardware power problem, and not a software or Bios issue

"Power" switch has voltage and shows a transition when pushed.
Battery shows good.
Power adapter is good
Nothing obvious burnt inside.
Obvious power supply mosfets appear good (failed mosfets is apparently a known failure mode)
No bad solder on the Maxim controller that has been mentioned as an issue in various places
no fuse type device visible, although that isn't certain, they can look like almost anything.
hard drive works fine on an adapter that runs it off a USB port
No lights even if CDrom or HDD are removed

More ideas?

fraker
09-03-2012, 11:36 AM
Hi J Tiers.

It may be toast. The little fans they use to cool the processor have a tendency to sieze up as they get old, then things start to heat up. If the laptop is used on someones lap and the vents get covered( The outlet is on the back but the intake is on the base) they heat up pretty quickly thus running the risk of frying the processor. It may be worth a search on fleabay for a new main board and processor.

That said, it could be something as simple as a fuse. If I remember from when I used to work on D610's as an IT engineer, they have a couple of fuses on the main board and usually they are off-white in colour and have a "0" printed on them. They are usually surface mount devices but often bigger than the other SMD devices on the board.

Hope this is of some help.

Bill

MaxHeadRoom
09-03-2012, 11:48 AM
If it ends up looking like something more than simple, working models can be had relatively cheap now on ebay, keep the other one for parts!
I've picked up around a dozen now for friends and family.
Hopefully the HD has been backed up regularly!!
Max.

J Tiers
09-03-2012, 01:37 PM
Fan is known to work fine....

Fuses.... yeah, usually 8mm x 3mm or so, IIRC, we don't use them, but I have seen them on other stuff elsewhere.... might point at the problem, at least.

Parts........ yes.....

Ebay, NO..... laptops on ebay seem to be commonly "bricked" thoroughly..... even if they seem to light up. I can buy them locally (see before you buy), but it can be easier to fix when possible, since they are not common anymore on CL. I have another one in that needs some reasonably simple work, but it was supposed to get used in addition to, not instead off, this one......

MaxHeadRoom
09-03-2012, 01:41 PM
Ebay, NO..... laptops on ebay seem to be commonly "bricked" thoroughly..... even if they seem to light up. ..

I guess I have been lucky so far, as well as the Dell's, I have a couple of IBM Think Pads also, just have to look for a reputable seller and check the F.B.
Max.

Steve Steven
09-03-2012, 02:49 PM
I had a 610, which died when the power supply plug to the main board got un-soldered from heat, symtons were a dead battery and wouldn't run from power supply.
Steve

J Tiers
09-03-2012, 04:09 PM
I guess I have been lucky so far, as well as the Dell's, I have a couple of IBM Think Pads also, just have to look for a reputable seller and check the F.B.
Max.

OOOOOOHHHHH......... "Stink Pads"........ we have some old legacy units at work...... I'd pay money to not have to use those.....

Ebay... never have been a member, no "Pay -pal" account.... looked at it a few times, wouldn't know a reputable seller from a thief..... even the feedback apparently isn't useful any more, from what has been said here. I guess I missed out on the good times of years past.

MaxHeadRoom
09-03-2012, 04:47 PM
Actually I like all the features for working out in the field with some of the Legacy equipment and software I have to cover, Serial, parallel, USB, PCMCI, CD, Floppy, Ethernet, Plus DOS, Win98, WinXP!.
I have used ebay from around the beginning and have learned alot along the way.
I cursed Paypal at first, but if you DO get burned, Paypal will come up with a refund in most cases, fortunately I have only had recourse to this once.
Max.

SteveF
09-03-2012, 08:02 PM
I had a 610, which died when the power supply plug to the main board got un-soldered from heat, symtons were a dead battery and wouldn't run from power supply.
Steve

Same here. Solder joint for the power supply jack cracked and wouldn't pass electricity. Took the laptop apart and resoldered the jack and all was well.

Apparently not an uncommon problem.

Steve

J Tiers
09-03-2012, 09:08 PM
The solder joint is the problem with the other unit that needs repair....

To access that, you have to tale the unit apart to the maximum extent that the service manual covers, and then take even more apart "on your own" to get at the backside of the main PWB. I'm getting pretty good at that now, I have the multi-compartment box all ready for screws and small assemblies.

One question..... this unit has the heat pipes for heat removal... but the surfaces from which heat is to be removed or which receives it into the heat pipe are not treated at all.... usually in heat transfer interfaces (in power electronics) there is at the very least a thin phase change material (wax, basically) that fills the voids. These things do not seem to have any such, they just have the surfaces polished (the one on heat pipe isn't so shiny) and a spring-loaded hold-down. I assume that is all good.

These units were all refurbished by Dell, so presumably they are assembled correctly......even though Dell left out some screws..