PDA

View Full Version : Fun with Paypal-Not!

wierdscience
09-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Had a surprise round with Paypal today.Couple years ago I cancelled all but one Ebay/Paypal account and only kept my personal ones active.

I still buy stuff off Ebay for both myself and work and usually go through checkout and select either my Visa card or the company CC if it's for the boss.I've done this for a couple years now with no problems.

Today I go to pay for a fill up at the gas pump and my card is declined.Go inside,see my buddy the owner behind the counter no sweat he says I'm good for it.Log onto my online banking account and there are two charges from Paypal for two purchases I made for work that Paypal charged to my Visa debit instead of the company CC.

So I pull up the sales and sure enough both have the company CC selected as the funding source it's even listed on the receipt.Call up Paypal and talk to the first rep and he tells me so sorry,"all I can do from our end is send you a copy of your statement so you can go to your bank and get it straightened out"WHAT?:mad:

A couple minutes later I think he sensed some anger in my voice:rolleyes:and said "let me connect you with my supervisor"so I go through the whole mess again and this guy actually does his job,calls my bank,gets them on line there and the three of us get the mess resolved,finally I hope.

So the stunner comes when the Paypal rep tells me-"we recommend you only use one funding source on your account or sign in and use the guest selection instead" WTF?:confused: That left me with two questions he couldn't answer-

#1 If they only recommend one funding source per account(which I think is CYA BS) then why give us the option of having more than one???

#2 It's worked fine for the past 50 or so transactions,why the hiccup now??? No answer.

Sorry for the rant,but I have a sore neck and shoulder from being on the phone for nearly two hours:eek:

Dr Stan
09-06-2012, 02:36 PM
Don't apologize for PayPal's screw-up. I canceled my PayPal account several years ago and refuse to do business with anyone who only accepts Pay Pal. When they told me it would be "more secure" to turn over my bank account info to them I knew they were full of sh#t. Just another place where a hacker could access my info and cause me grief. I may have been born at night, but not last night.

MrFluffy
09-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Ive just come out of a massive paypal battle where I returned goods to the seller as not fit for purpose as agreed, and paypal declined to refund me. Closed the case about 5 times each time saying I had no recourse to appeal. Kept ringing them up, getting it re-opened etc.
Went up to euro director level, because the reason they kept closing it was that I hadn't provided a online console for them to view the return signature on. Thing is... You cant buy that service in europe, because they all hand over to usps for delivery stateside, and the systems dont talk. Even ups dont give that on their "end to end service".
So I asked if it would be ok if I contacted some media contacts with my findings that their product gives no guarantee over $200 amounts when using their authorized euro shipping partners (thats the limit which triggers the signature requirement) and at the same time triggered a claim with my shipper, who within a few weeks got me a scan of the shipper accepting his returned goods the other end, and they've awarded me the money and promised to investigate further "but this does not constitute acceptance of the legality or validity of your argument".

So got my money back, but big fight. And If they think Im going to let it drop because I got refunded, they don't know me well.

The only good thing about paypal is that it is easy. I don't want to go back to having to mail cheques to people or read my credit card verification over the phone in buyer not present transactions, I just wish that someone with some ethics and legally a bank would take up the ball and do it instead of them.

+ or - Zero
09-06-2012, 03:46 PM
If you live in the USA there is a very simple solution to paypal problems, at least it works for me.

Just get a paypal credit card --they seem to bombard one every 5 minutes with "Get an aproval in 30 seconds" ads and in fact that was about all the time it took.

It is only used (by me) for purchases via paypal... it becomes very easy to resolve disputes with them when it's already their nickel on the line --and given the nature of how credit cards are regulated in the US, so long as you are in fact correct they know they can't win an may lose considerable money in any extended dispute.

Of course they will attempt to use any failure on your part, however minor, to get out of it. But it sure leaves you with the correct leverage when problems do crop up --and if you deal with paypal problems will come up sooner or later.

Have your company or boss get a CC from them also and just use two different pp accounts, one for each card --all it takes are two different email addresses, like yahoo and gmail or something along those lines. I have my own servers so creating email accounts is easy for me, but I know there are almost endless free email services out there, so use some of them.

Anyway for me that has become the best of a bad deal when faced with using pp and lets face it they have (at the moment, and for now) become the major player in this space. Something I expect to change soon considering the several start ups that are figuring out ways to use smart phones for both payments and receiving money... which will also probably bring a new set of problems, but at least more choice.

Forrest Addy
09-06-2012, 03:51 PM
I wonder what I'm doing wrong. I've had over 600 transactions with PayPal including three or four funding source changes and never had a whiff of trouble.

goose
09-06-2012, 04:07 PM
I, too, have yet to experience the vast Paypal conspiracy, despite hundreds of transactions buying and selling.

bobw53
09-06-2012, 04:22 PM
I'd guess your boss's card got declined.

When I check out there is a "default" card on there, and its one I haven't had in years, so I'd guess if the first funding source is dead (boss didn't pay the bill),
you're on the hook for the money, because I'd guess they go after whatever funding source you've previously approved.

I'd blame the boss first for getting his CC declined, I'd blame myself second for using my own money as a back up funding source, then last I'd blame paypal for
not at least notifying me that something had changed.

Count me in as one that has never had a problem with them either.

jep24601
09-06-2012, 04:37 PM
If you live in the USA there is a very simple solution to paypal problems, at least it works for me.

Just get a paypal credit card --they seem to bombard one every 5 minutes with "Get an aproval in 30 seconds" ads and in fact that was about all the time it took.

In addition they do not require any bank account information if you use a paypal credit card.

wierdscience
09-06-2012, 08:24 PM

When I check out there is a "default" card on there, and its one I haven't had in years, so I'd guess if the first funding source is dead (boss didn't pay the bill),
you're on the hook for the money, because I'd guess they go after whatever funding source you've previously approved.

I'd blame the boss first for getting his CC declined, I'd blame myself second for using my own money as a back up funding source, then last I'd blame paypal for

No,PP ran my card number FIRST even though his card was selected as the funding source.When PP,my bank and I got everything hopefully sorted the transaction ran on his card just fine.I've worked for the man 18 years and he has never,ever let an account lapse or shorted me one dime.Soon as I told him about it he handed me cash to deposit and square my account,so no it wasn't anything he did.His card also has a ZERO balance the first of every month.

Just because you never have,doesn't mean you won't,count yourself lucky.

wierdscience
09-06-2012, 08:57 PM

The Boss hates CC as much as I do.The only reason he has his is sometimes there is just no other way.Car and equipment rentals are two examples.

Another CC is out,but my bank manager suggested simply removing my checking account as a source and requiring the security code on my card for access should fix it.

wierdscience
09-06-2012, 09:00 PM

No,PP ran my card number FIRST even though his card was selected as the funding source.When PP,my bank and I got everything hopefully sorted the transaction ran on his card just fine.I've worked for the man 18 years and he has never,ever let an account lapse or shorted me one dime.Soon as I told him about it he handed me cash to deposit and square my account,so no it wasn't anything he did.His card also has a ZERO balance the first of every month.

Just because you never have,doesn't mean you won't,count yourself lucky.

+ or - Zero
09-06-2012, 09:54 PM
The Boss hates CC as much as I do.The only reason he has his is sometimes there is just no other way.Car and equipment rentals are two examples.

Another CC is out,but my bank manager suggested simply removing my checking account as a source and requiring the security code on my card for access should fix it.

I understand --I think any rational person in today's economy (well any economy, but clearly there were easier times) would think carefully about any CC they have or how it's used.

What I said about splitting the cards into two separate pp accounts by simply using two separate email address is a very good idea for you both. There can never be a repeat for any reason that way, and it makes record keeping a whole lot easier and cleaner.

And it would mean that both you and your boss could use the company account, while your personal account would be your own totally independent of any company activity.

What I'm saying here is really good advice --but as always the best advice I can give anyone is to never, ever, under any circumstances, act on advice from anyone. Make your own decisions.

That doesn't mean don't consider learning from others though. I got it that you have resolved the problem --at least this time...

George_Race
09-06-2012, 10:47 PM
I have had well over 1000 transactions with PayPal, a combination of buying and selling, and never one problem. Both giving and getting refunds has been painless, the few times that I have had to do it.

George

flylo
09-06-2012, 11:49 PM
Got 3 refunds today from PP. One I bought a 1500 gal tank that turned out to be a 250 gal after his phone was discconnected & his E-mail bounced back the other 2 were Ebay & I think guy may have died or been taken ill? If I buy ftom an individual I make them invoive me. That way I'm covered. Also I pay with a cc, then I'm double covered.

oldtiffie
09-07-2012, 02:03 AM
I am in Australia.

The only times I use PP is for international and eBay purchases of which I haven't had a lot but I've had no problems at all.

I use secure sites for my credit card - no problems there either.

Other than that in Australia I use Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) for transferring funds electronically from my account to the suppliers/traders account - it shows up in my account and his over-night - never a problem - all that is required is the receivers Bank account name, its number and his bank reference. Its as good a BPay. I can transfer funds overseas using a similar arrangement. All of these have worked very smoothly.

lakeside53
09-07-2012, 02:07 AM
I've been on ebay and paypal since the beginning. No issues with Paypal using a cc (I ALWAYS so), and no problems getting my credit Card company to fix a transaction problem instantly.

vpt
09-07-2012, 08:15 AM
Don't apologize for PayPal's screw-up. I canceled my PayPal account several years ago and refuse to do business with anyone who only accepts Pay Pal. When they told me it would be "more secure" to turn over my bank account info to them I knew they were full of sh#t. Just another place where a hacker could access my info and cause me grief. I may have been born at night, but not last night.

+1 here, I have been paypal and ebay free for at least 2 years now, maybe 3.

If I can't go see it in person and pay cash I don't want it!

Rich Carlstedt
09-07-2012, 09:51 PM
Wierd, Why do you need to have your bank involved
I have a PP account , it is listed with a CC of a national organization and no bank info.
I know they ask, but for what purpose ? I ignore them

Just wondered why ?
Rich

+ or - Zero
09-07-2012, 11:49 PM
I have a PP account , it is listed with a CC of a national organization and no bank info.

Just wondered why ?
Rich

I know wierdscience can answer that for himself, but he said in the OP that he uses a debit card for his purchases, and a company CC for purchases for his boss. If you use a debit card they must have the bank info in order to withdraw the money from the account (you actually don't need a debit card, you can just give them your bank info and they will just withdraw the money from your account --it's the same result either way).

A credit card is just that --credit and needs no bank info at all. They will still ask under the guise of getting 'verified' --but they 'verify' you anyway even without the bank info. But they want it if they can fool you into giving it, pretty cheesy really, but that's how it is.

wierdscience
09-08-2012, 01:07 AM

Just wondered why ?
Rich

Back when I signed up with PP I had to have a bank account to link it to,those were their rules.I just set up a separate account for the purpose which featured a Visa debit.I have used it for all my online purchases ever since 02 or 03' I forget when.When I added my boss's card it made things easier than me paying for it and him reimbursing me,plus he gets a receipt with the company name on it for tax purposes.Simple enough and worked fine,never had any reason to do otherwise.In any rate that account is not linked to my daily account,I know better.

I did it that way in part because my other PP account for selling had been tapped a couple times by PP when a couple buyers tried to steal some items.PP got in the habit of snatching money back from sellers without notification first at which point I dropped that account and stopped selling on Ebay entirely.

Until yesterday I thought a PP account was required to buy through PP on Ebay,turns out that's not the case anymore since at checkout they allow you to simply proceed as a guest and pay via credit or debit now.Well guess what,soon as this mess is resolved that's the end of this PP account,good ridance.

wierdscience
09-08-2012, 01:25 AM
Today's latest fun has me finding out PP has not and won't be refunding my money into my account after all.I got the runaround from a different rep today,talked to a different upper and was told there is nothing they can do and that I will have to straighten the mess out on my end myself.
So I had to go transfer more money into that account today to cover some pending charges from an unrelated purchase.

Now here is the kicker,both sellers have been paid and both items have been shipped and both have tracking numbers.One item,the more expensive of the two was paid in full from the funds in my account,the other has a negative balance owed on it.

Looking at the tracking from UPS,both packages have stopped moving as of 9/5/12 even the one that's been paid for in full.So today PP tells me that even though I topped my debit account off with cash the same day the problem occurred it could take 3-5 working days for them to try the transaction again and either get the funds from my account or the Company card.

So I am guessing both items will sit in a UPS terminal with a hold on them until PP manages to unconstipate itself.