PDA

View Full Version : OT- fancy display crossbow...

alanganes
09-07-2012, 07:30 AM
Just for fun and not totally OT, plenty of metalwork involved, just not the sort of metalwork we tend to do around here. Many here will appreciate high level of craftsmanship involved.

http://ganoksin.com/blog/meevis/2012/09/05/the-cannon-crossbow-start-to-finish/

Not that anyone would think so, but just for the record, no, that is NOT my work(!). Just something that popped up on another list I follow.

HWooldridge
09-07-2012, 09:01 AM
Gorgeous art but I wonder if he shot it?

Lew Hartswick
09-07-2012, 09:07 AM
In my opinion it would have looked a LOT better without all the "glass ware".
and at least a few bolts. (in my dictionary the projectiles for a crossbow are
bolts not quarrels)
...Lew...

gwilson
09-07-2012, 10:19 AM
Silly looking thing.

KIMFAB
09-07-2012, 10:39 AM
There are people with way too much time on their hands.

Very pretty but impractical. Excellent for attracting blonds. I think that is his intent.

Mike Amick
09-07-2012, 12:34 PM
cool .. I'm not sure why .. maybe its all the bling .. but I kept thinking this guys next
project should be a miniature version of the "time machine". I bet he could make
a bitchin one.

beanbag
09-07-2012, 05:25 PM
I'm not sure whether this crossbow is supposed to attract elderly ladies or pimps.

plastikosmd
09-07-2012, 05:41 PM
cool piece, would look great on my desk

John Stevenson
09-07-2012, 06:49 PM
Well I don't know what to say..............................

alanganes
09-07-2012, 07:27 PM
The guy who made it is a jeweler and gem cutter by trade, I believe. He does stuff like this just for his own amusement. No idea if he's tried shooting it. I'd sort of guess not.

Lots of us here make equally impractical things (myself included). Nothing I've ever made will attract blondes. That's OK, as my wife would object. Here is a wobbler steam engine the same guy made out of cut cubic zirconia, 14K gold piston, and silver base. There is a video of it running at the bottom of the page:

http://ganoksin.com/blog/meevis/2012/02/19/miniature-cz-motor-finished-and-running/

Good call on the "time machine" I'd have to agree!

kf2qd
09-07-2012, 07:37 PM
In my opinion it would have looked a LOT better without all the "glass ware".
and at least a few bolts. (in my dictionary the projectiles for a crossbow are
bolts not quarrels)
...Lew...

I've always heard them referenced as PRODS.

Circlip
09-08-2012, 04:09 AM
Well I don't know what to say..............................

Hells Bells, that must be a first.

Regards Ian.

brian Rupnow
09-08-2012, 07:34 AM
Very nice work. Conan the barbarians mother had one just like it. I seen it in one of Frank Frazettas paintings on the side of a 1981 utility van driven by a guy smoking a big bong..

A.K. Boomer
09-08-2012, 10:04 AM
We will continue with "On the brink of insanity" right after these short messages from our sponsors :p

Hey - you have to admit if Liberace shot a freaking crossbow that's the "baby" he'd be using.:rolleyes:

Mcgyver
09-08-2012, 10:35 AM
Very nice work. Conan the barbarians mother had one just like it. I seen it in one of Frank Frazettas paintings on the side of a 1981 utility van driven by a guy smoking a big bong..

now that was funny. he's gotta be one of those a comic book guys, dresses up, into xena the warrior princess or something or other :D taste is a fickle thing, I'm with gwilson on this one.

alanganes
09-08-2012, 12:56 PM
We will continue with "On the brink of insanity" right after these short messages from our sponsors :p

Hey - you have to admit if Liberace shot a freaking crossbow that's the "baby" he'd be using.:rolleyes:

I guess it's not a lot crazier than building miniature steam engines. Maybe a bit, but not too much.

I agree McGyver, not exactly my taste in such things, but I do have to admire his attention to detail and skill of execution. One can never fully account for taste in such stuff. Eye of the beholder.

And hey, the Libarace's of the world need crossbows too, ya know! It's only fair. :)

Mcgyver
09-08-2012, 03:21 PM
I guess it's not a lot crazier than building miniature steam engines.
)

I agree with that; human nature places oneself on high ground......an unintelligent assumption; mostly we're in our glass houses somewhere on the hillside or maybe in the valley :)

Alistair Hosie
09-08-2012, 04:01 PM
Nice workmanship, and I hope he got a lot of fun making it as it is really a work of art and that's it I don't suppose it will work?, nice though. Alistair