PDA

View Full Version : Flylo's Hanger

Black Forest
09-08-2012, 04:05 PM
I am sure I am not the only one on here that would like to see a picture of your shop/hanger/whearhouse.

Lets see some pictures of all these goodies you have been collecting. Not individual pictures of each machine. More of a family portrait.

It would be interesting to see how you fit all the stuff you have collected into a hanger. Unless it is for a 747!

alanganes
09-08-2012, 04:47 PM
Second that!!

John Stevenson
09-08-2012, 05:20 PM
I would imagine it's quite impressive if not a little crowded ;)

sasquatch
09-08-2012, 05:44 PM
Great Suggestion!! I'd be interested in seeing this too!

MotorradMike
09-08-2012, 05:50 PM
Yes, howzabout it Flylo??

flylo
09-08-2012, 06:35 PM
OK But in wont be today as I went to an auction which I never do & am hurting like crazy. Got some goodies though like a 12" Rohm 4 jaw with a camlock back $20. It will be several pics I'm sure but I'll get to it.

bborr01
09-08-2012, 06:53 PM
I saw it last year and it was pretty full then. Probably even fuller now. I want my wife to see it so she won't feel so bad about my full shops.

Brian

flylo
09-08-2012, 07:17 PM
Not bad enough to bring her over or my vises. Yes it's fuller that last year & the quality's gone up also.

Tamper84
09-08-2012, 07:36 PM
Subscribed!!!! Can't wait to see it!

boslab
09-08-2012, 09:13 PM
Im actually at the point that i think its a hollowed out volcano somewhere in the Pacific, akin to a James Bond movie!
if not then its gonna be just as impressive to metal bashers as volcanoes are to megalomaniacs!
I have to see the collection even though it will make me sad
mark

Dr Stan
09-08-2012, 11:14 PM
I think George needs to make this a "sticky" so we can easily check on flyo's latest acquisition. :rolleyes:

legendboy
09-08-2012, 11:17 PM
i feel akin to flylo but i only have a 21x21' garage :(

Bryan B
09-09-2012, 03:53 AM
I'd like to see his hangar, not his hanger!

flylo
09-09-2012, 08:26 AM
i feel akin to flylo but i only have a 21x21' garage :(

Don't worry, I started in a 16'x24'. When you figure out you can buy something then double+ your money it get's addicting fast. When I was 16 my best friends dad & I did this every weekend. We called it trading & had about 25 guys we did this with. I could make more on sunday than at my job & it was fun. Always loved it & it supported my hobbys, motocross, skydiving, scuba,etc. I'll trade or buy anything legal & moral. But I do enjoy tools,planes,guns,etc. I guess trading has been by longest running hobby yet. Wife & I had a discussion about it last night. Me for, her against & it's because she thinks I'll hurt myself. But as I told her I've always done it & always will. I always have an eye & ear out for a deal & I'm not afraid to go ask if somethings for sale & always ask what else do you have. Two things, you must know what something is worth & you must pull the trigger now on a good deal. You can't wait, research it to death,etc. If it's worth at least double buy it now & go get it now. Used to be a mans word was his bond, not so with some. I see it on craigslist alot. Someone will offer the seller a few dollars more & get it, even after you've struck a deal. My word is worth much more than that. My Dad who was totally different from me told me I could have anything I want if I work for it. I don't mean to bore you guys when I show you wat I get & really I'm not bragging as I don't show 1/4 of it, I just some of the interesting things. I wake up Thankful every day expecting a deal or 3. I'm a Blessed man to be having this much fun! Sorry for the rant!

Black Forest
09-09-2012, 09:46 AM
Don't worry, I started in a 16'x24'. When you figure out you can buy something then double+ your money it get's addicting fast. When I was 16 my best friends dad & I did this every weekend. We called it trading & had about 25 guys we did this with. I could make more on sunday than at my job & it was fun. Always loved it & it supported my hobbys, motocross, skydiving, scuba,etc. I'll trade or buy anything legal & moral. But I do enjoy tools,planes,guns,etc. I guess trading has been by longest running hobby yet. Wife & I had a discussion about it last night. Me for, her against & it's because she thinks I'll hurt myself. But as I told her I've always done it & always will. I always have an eye & ear out for a deal & I'm not afraid to go ask if somethings for sale & always ask what else do you have. Two things, you must know what something is worth & you must pull the trigger now on a good deal. You can't wait, research it to death,etc. If it's worth at least double buy it now & go get it now. Used to be a mans word was his bond, not so with some. I see it on craigslist alot. Someone will offer the seller a few dollars more & get it, even after you've struck a deal. My word is worth much more than that. My Dad who was totally different from me told me I could have anything I want if I work for it. I don't mean to bore you guys when I show you wat I get & really I'm not bragging as I don't show 1/4 of it, I just some of the interesting things. I wake up Thankful every day expecting a deal or 3. I'm a Blessed man to be having this much fun! Sorry for the rant!

Bla Bla Bla.......we want pictures!

browne92
09-09-2012, 10:16 AM
Im actually at the point that i think its a hollowed out volcano somewhere in the Pacific, akin to a James Bond movie!

Or an abandoned missle silo :D

darryl
09-09-2012, 02:20 PM
I could do with a missile silo, but it would have to have a good sized elevator- and a fast one at that. Let's see- how to I get that new mill down to the seventh floor-

MichaelP
09-09-2012, 04:33 PM
Flylo,

Over 24 hours and no picture? When you need to grab a machine found on CL, you do it qucker.

John Stevenson
09-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Somebody rang up today and offered him a good price for his camera.

He's now scouring Craigs List for a new one..................

flylo
09-09-2012, 07:48 PM
Almost right. sold 2 granite plates & a ton of other goodies this morning. Then went & got a load & just rolled in. I bought a couple nice Kodaks on closeout because they're getting out of the camers business. A 990 30X zoom/ 12MP & a 5120 26X zoom & 16MP. Both have a panarama mode that if I can get someone on a ladder ot the forklift I think 3 or 4 pics will do it as I'm sure no one wants to look at 30 pics of my junk. Let me work on it & I will get it done.

Mcgyver
09-09-2012, 07:57 PM
its like area 51 or something.....we know he has a camera

John Stevenson
09-09-2012, 08:00 PM
Told you he's sold his camera :D

armedandsafe
09-09-2012, 08:06 PM
You told us he sold his camera. That is expected.

He just told us he bought two to replace it. That is expected. :D

PICTURES!

Black Forest
09-10-2012, 02:27 AM
He is stalling! I think he works for the chinese and is buying up all the used iron so everyone else has to buy new chinese. All the old iron he buys is being melted down and shipped to china.

Any picture that he posts will be computer generated. We need to send in a team.

John Stevenson
09-10-2012, 03:55 AM
He is stalling! I think he works for the chinese and is buying up all the used iron so everyone else has to buy new chinese. All the old iron he buys is being melted down and shipped to china.

Any picture that he posts will be computer generated. We need to send in a team.

We need to send in an expert.

Send in Tiffie :)

Black Forest
09-10-2012, 05:32 AM
We need to send in an expert.

Send in Tiffie :)

Sir John you need to send me a new keyboard. Mine doesn't work anymore because of the coffee I spit all over the monitor and keyboard.

Tamper84
09-10-2012, 08:39 AM
Patience is a virtue ya know ;) but seriously, I'd say he is waiting for a clear day to get an aerial picture of it!!!! :D !!!!

Really tho, I hope your back starts feeling better flylo. I couldn't imagine having a bad back. Work with a guy that is going in for his second back surgery.

Chris

flylo
09-10-2012, 09:01 AM
OK If you insist I'll wait for Tiffie, But as soon as he Bins even a handful of swarf he's going in the bin with it!

sasquatch
09-10-2012, 08:20 PM
AHEMM! We are STILL waiting!!

customcutter
09-10-2012, 08:49 PM
He said his new camera did panoramic view. He's driving far enough away to get it all in one shot.

Ken

Dr Stan
09-10-2012, 09:26 PM
He said his new camera did panoramic view. He's driving far enough away to get it all in one shot.

Ken

Driving, naw. He's building a rocket ship so he can take a pic from a geosynchronous orbit. Even then he will need a fish eye lens. :rolleyes:

Pherdie
09-10-2012, 09:46 PM
A teaser of what's in hiding???:

http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k631/fly-lo/?action=view&current=1347154518.jpg#!oZZ2QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F% 2Fs1119.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fk631%2Ffly-lo%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3D1347154516.jpg (http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k631/fly-lo/?action=view&current=1347154518.jpg#!oZZ2QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F% 2Fs1119.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fk631%2Ffly-lo%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3D1347154516.jpg)

legendboy
09-10-2012, 11:16 PM
i bet one more week of cleaning and moving stuff around, he be ready for pics ;)

flylo
09-10-2012, 11:51 PM
Actually I was under the weather" last week & now my wife has a raging infection & fever. Pills didn't do it so she has to get a dailey shot so it may be a few days. I haven't even got the auction stuff in from Sat. Sprayed the metal things with fogging oil, cover at night & uncover in the morning because we've ben having fog & dew. Not much fun at my home. As they say "Life's not happy till Wife is happy". Missed my 62x96"x12" CMM granite because they wouldn't wait one more day. 6500# & they broke it up & dumpstered it. Almost a sin! I was paying $500 for it. What a waste. There went my tombstone. I have a 8000# DoAll 4x8 steel surface plate I guess when I pass I'll have BigMike782 weld something on it. Please if he mentions horder he doesn't spell it whore, LOL! Make sure that MillerMatic has spell check!

Dr Stan
09-11-2012, 02:18 AM
I have a 8000# DoAll 4x8 steel surface plate I guess when I pass I'll have BigMike782 weld something on it. Please if he mentions horder he doesn't spell it whore, LOL! Make sure that MillerMatic has spell check!

On another site a member was looking for a wrench, but misspelled it as wench. Boy did he get grief especially from the female members. :)

MichaelP
09-11-2012, 08:42 AM
No phographs yet, but my compass shows that the Earth geomagnetic pole has shifed toward SW Michigan.

Forrest Addy
09-11-2012, 08:56 AM
I don't know about Flylo but I've always thought a building like this might be big enough to house my ambitions:

http://www.ci.akron.oh.us/history/photos/toweb/EarlyBlimp&Hanger_x600.jpg

You know, square it up, Build it stouter, add a 10ft thick concrete floor on ground level. Main floor clears 80 ft down the center about 80 ft wide, Columns on 24 ft grid elsewhere. Fill in the rest of the vertical space with 200 lb sq ft floors on about 30 ft levels. Rail siding, handy to airport. Helicopter pad on roof. Cranes, elevators, Segway. Space/time portal, Replicator Couple master rebuilders. Billionaire sugar daddy. Immunity from OSHA and taxes and wives.

What do we do in a place like this? Realize machine tool nostalgia.

In each and every one of our shops is a deal like a window shade you pull down from the ceiling. You step though it like a door and you're there in our "Fortress of Really Cool Stuff"

Barbecue on Thursdays.

At the rate Flylo is collecting really cool stuff, he might be headed there as we speak.

flylo
09-11-2012, 10:22 AM
Woke up with chills & fever. D*mn it, Anyone been to HGR in Euicld Oh? I just eant to beat them. LOL!

ogre
09-11-2012, 10:59 AM
Flylo has so much that he could start posting pics if stuff from 3yrs ago and we wouldnt even kniw it lol

R. Dan
09-11-2012, 11:21 AM
This is my first post to this forum although I have been lurking for quite some time. I have a question for Flylo - do you have an ETD in your extensive collection?:cool:

michigan doug
09-11-2012, 10:34 PM
Do you mean a sniffer?

Explosives
Trace
Detection machine

??

J Tiers
09-12-2012, 12:15 AM
I like cool stuff as much as anyone.....

I have become somewhat realistic, however....... it is hard enough to refurbish just a few pieces decently... I ought to know, I usually have three going at once. Most recently, the SAME three for quite a while, and then I went and bought a 4th, which needs more work than any of the rest, or maybe all the rest put together.

Faced with a big "hall" of them, I would turn out the light, lock the doors, and go take something to dispell the visions of horror.......

Who needs Steven King..? The "hall" of equipment.... the voice from somewhere as you wake up in there....... "All must perfectly vorking be.... vis all de accessory as vell and polished.... in von veek vrom now. If iss not going so fast dat you can finish in time, one finger we take away efry day.... and much harter then must you vork vis nine fingers only.... Ven ve out of fingers run, or you do not finish, the box in the corner you vill enter.... and i do not think you vill out of the box come in von piece, he alvays hungry iss. So vork hart you must. I hope a crane you haf brought..... Ha Ha...."

MichaelP
09-12-2012, 12:40 AM
As far as I understand, Flylo is buying, mostly, to resell it. Am I wrong?

J Tiers
09-12-2012, 12:52 AM
As far as I understand, Flylo is buying, mostly, to resell it. Am I wrong?

I am sure you are right..... but many things "just need a little work"...... you need to know when to stop...... ;)

He's been at it a while, he knows what's up.

flylo
09-12-2012, 01:34 AM
I'm sorry I don't know what an "edt" is. EDM yes I, but edt no. Everything is ready to work except the RoundTower Mill. It has an open in the motor. Just got a 15HP RPC. It's a Kays & according to the salesman they're the most underrated so a 15 will start & run a 25HP motor & a total of 60HP total. Maybe by the shear size & weight. Also they claim to be the quietest & smoothest. We'll see. Here's the website http://www.kayind.com/index.htm

1-800miner
09-12-2012, 10:39 AM
I think he is stalling.
His hangar only has an old Craftsman drill press and a broken HF c clamp in it.
He is scrambling to photoshop everything from the gloats into a hangar.:rolleyes:

R. Dan
09-12-2012, 10:54 AM
I'm sorry I don't know what an "edt" is. EDM yes I, but edt no

Essex Tri Directional. Some of us farmboys are quite familiar with them...;)

The Artful Bodger
09-12-2012, 04:43 PM
Essex Tri Directional, I have two of those, can anyone suggest where I might find a manual, as they are pretty much useless without one?

flylo
09-12-2012, 05:59 PM
Gotta get one! I've had a 2WD Rokon motorcycle. snocat,6x6 Duece, 8WD Argo Avenger, tractors. dozers, a dragline(talk about learning curve) planes, but I read up on that & we ought to build one. I remember driving the snocat into the pond as the snow was so deep I couldn't see where it was. Crack & the front end fell in . we we on about a 45 deg angle with water filling the cap, I trallt thought I'd lost it but putit in reverse & she walked right out. Whew was I relieved. Stuck in the flu & my wife is worse as I'm having to grive her to the Dr once a day for a shot. Mossed so many deals. Frlt like it was over sunday but worse monday. No fun.

oldtiffie
09-12-2012, 08:57 PM
I was intrigued by the thread title: "Flylo's hanger".

As it is in the singular I presume he never had or lost the other to make a pair.

I guess his stuff is stored in his hangar - I hope so - or else he must have one huge scrotum (aka "man-bag")!!

flylo
09-13-2012, 12:35 AM
I was intrigued by the thread title: "Flylo's hanger".

As it is in the singular I presume he never had or lost the other to make a pair.

I guess his stuff is stored in his hangar - I hope so - or else he must have one huge scrotum (aka "man-bag")!!

Oldtiffie they have electeded you you to inventory my hanger. Your always welcome to come & inspect. Just remember don't "bin" anything & I must say the hand crank drill press Ogre lent me till my demise bit me while lifting it from the truck. After a swear word or 2 I thought of you, smiled & said Clumsy Bastard. Feeling better as of right now so hopefully the hunt resumes thurs AM.

mike4
09-13-2012, 04:12 AM
With all of that ole' iron in one place doesnt it have an adverse effect on planes???

Bit like what Sir Johns collection does.

Michael

oldtiffie
09-13-2012, 04:34 AM
Oldtiffie they have electeded you you to inventory my hanger. Your always welcome to come & inspect. Just remember don't "bin" anything & I must say the hand crank drill press Ogre lent me till my demise bit me while lifting it from the truck. After a swear word or 2 I thought of you, smiled & said Clumsy Bastard. Feeling better as of right now so hopefully the hunt resumes thurs AM.

Flylo.

The last time I had my hangers verified and inventoried it was by a Navy Doctor who had my hangers in his hand and told me to "cough" - which I did. In that I was not told they were deficient in any way I assumed that they were OK.

There is no way I am going to inventory yours - either do it yourself or get you doctor to do it or just hope for the best.

Here is some real junk/s - if they turn up near you you may have a problem:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junk_(ship)

http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&gs_nf=1&pq=junk&cp=8&gs_id=y&xhr=t&q=junk+ship&pf=p&rlz=1R2IRFC_enAU360&sclient=psy-ab&oq=junk+shi&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=512fb598185929c7&biw=1920&bih=851

I'd be wary of anyone electing me for anything at all let alone when I was not - and certainly would not have been - a candidate - but I guess that as their elected representative that they deserve what they get - heaps!!

Black Forest
09-13-2012, 05:54 AM
Oldtiffie quote, "The last time I had my hangers verified and inventoried it was by a Navy Doctor who had my hangers in his hand and told me to "cough" - which I did. "

Wow that was a long time ago. Mine were "verified and inventoried" by a beautiful blonde recently and she certainly seemed to think they were up to the job although she did not give me a certificaton certificate. But she was very oral during her examination process!

oldtiffie
09-13-2012, 07:32 AM
BF.

I hear tell that the hangers - all of 'em!!! - on the rear end of the bull outside the New York Stock Exchange - were a modelled to a reduced scale of yours.

MichaelP
09-13-2012, 10:02 PM
But she was very oral during her examination process! BF, I hope your wife doesn't read it. Otherwise, she may become very dental to you hangers.

lakeside53
09-13-2012, 10:45 PM
With all of that ole' iron in one place doesnt it have an adverse effect on planes???

Bit like what Sir Johns collection does.

Michael

All the compass calibrations are 27 degrees off. The magnetic anomaly is affecting the USN's ability to detect Soviet subs hidding in the great lakes.
Geese veer to the west as they pass over; pigeons no longer win their races.

This is just a very small part of Flylo's master plan of machinery domination. Oh... a new Bond movie will feature his hanger, with Flylo the new world threat.

mike4
09-14-2012, 03:14 AM
If Flylo has all of that iron in his hanger(s) he had better be careful of any large magnets.

The attraction may be PAINFUL!!!!!

Michael

HWooldridge
09-14-2012, 12:11 PM
I can hear it now..."Ironfinger"

oldtiffie
09-15-2012, 08:24 PM
And just when are we going to see the pics of Flylo's (aircraft type!!!) hangar with all his "stuff" in it?

flylo
09-15-2012, 08:51 PM
Soon as I start feeling better. It was all I could muster to unload that giant saw with the forklift. I don't know what this is but it's kicked my *ss & I don't have any to spare. Just hum the old rock song "anticipation" & you'll be OK. Anyway I thought you were coming in person?

sasquatch
09-15-2012, 09:02 PM
Flylo, take care of yourself,, AND DO WHAT the DOCTOR TELLS YOU!!

flylo
09-15-2012, 09:12 PM
I don't go to doctors if I can help it. Don't even have a reg Dr just my back surgeon. All they do is tell you bad things then take your money. What a racket.
But thanks anyway, I'll be OK, just have to ride it out. A lot of people are sick with flu like symptoms.

justanengineer
09-15-2012, 09:21 PM
Not sure what bug you caught, but Ive had a rather nasty variant of the stomach flu coupled with a pretty bad sinus infection all week. I even missed two days of work this week, right in the middle of setting up a major analysis/simulation. :mad:

Get better soon. I figure with the two of us being sick simultaneously and not out dickering down the prices, the mean price of old iron has about doubled!

flylo
09-15-2012, 09:46 PM
But with not buying I'm sure the bottom's dropped out because of over supply , under demand. Hope you get better soon too. I just passed on 38- 2x10-10' clear oak planed & kiln dried s4s @ $10/ea because I didn't feel like loading & unloading.

oldtiffie
09-16-2012, 12:08 AM
Nope.

You said I was "invited" and I declined.

oldtiffie
09-16-2012, 12:10 AM
And just when are we going to see the pics of Flylo's (aircraft type!!!) hangar with all his "stuff" in it?

Soon as I start feeling better. It was all I could muster to unload that giant saw with the forklift. I don't know what this is but it's kicked my *ss & I don't have any to spare. Just hum the old rock song "anticipation" & you'll be OK. Anyway I thought you were coming in person?

Nope.

You said I was "invited" and I declined.

Black Forest
09-16-2012, 01:46 PM
He is jerking our chain. He has enough energy to wrestle a saw but not enough to push the button on a camera. Bogus....there is no "building to store a plane" full of machinery...Bogus I tell ya! I think he is a woman and just trolling here. Preying on us gullible souls.

J.Ramsey
09-16-2012, 06:29 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img845/4484/thisthreadisworthlesswi.gif

Dr Stan
09-16-2012, 06:30 PM
Bogus I tell ya! I think he is a woman and just trolling here. Preying on us gullible souls.

Hum, you just may be on to something there. :rolleyes:

sasquatch
09-16-2012, 06:56 PM
A woman that shaves, and muscles like popeye!! YIKES!!!:(

lugnut
09-16-2012, 07:07 PM
I say: flylo, put your photo where your mouth is;)
Mel