PDA

View Full Version : uses for nylon sheet

darryl
09-09-2012, 02:33 PM
Was at my favorite plastics supplier yesterday, picking up some cloth and odd stuff. They had a roll of nylon sheet about 15 inches wide and a mile long sitting there. Price was right, so now I have some at home.

Apparently it's food grade and was used as a protective liner, probably in a food processing plant. Wondering what I can use it for-

One question about that- nylon is hygroscopic, meaning it will absorb moisture. Seems to me that this would be a detriment in a food grade application. Why would uhmw sheet not be a better material to use?

Anyway, the sheet nylon is about .030 or so thick, and is slightly rough on one side. I presume it could be bonded to another surface without much difficulty. The other side is smooth, but doesn't feel particularly slippery. Just looking for some ideas of what to use it for, in the shop or otherwise. You can't see through it, though it's quite translucent. I wonder how well it would fare outside-

Alan Douglas
09-09-2012, 09:23 PM
All plastics are hygroscopic to some degree. The one I'm familiar with is Plexiglas; it swells slightly when it absorbs water.

darryl
09-09-2012, 09:44 PM
Hmm- interesting. I know that plexiglas shrinks in size and grows in thickness as it ages, but I didn't consider that it absorbed water as well. There's a lot of tings I don't know-

Years ago, I tried to accommodate the shrinkage of a tinted plexiglas window that I built into the top of the Land Cruiser. It ended up shrinking by a full 2%, which is an inch over the 4 ft width of it. I didn't have the facility to pre-shrink it, and I ended up re-building the front part of the roof to fix it- all done in fiberglass of course :)

Ian B
09-10-2012, 09:26 AM
30 thou thick, roughened on one side. Do you have any woodworking equipment (table saw, spindle moulder?) It might make a good antifriction surface. Glue the rough side to the tables & fences with impact adhesive, chamfer the leading & trailing edges, give it a coat of hard wax. It should give you a nice non marking, non rusting facing. Worst comes to the worst, it can be removed.

Ian

Weekend_Scientist
09-10-2012, 01:26 PM
Wow Darryl, you sound a lot like me: picking up a large roll of plastic just because the price was right and it looked useful. I have a lot of raw materials like that and amazingly many of them do get used.....eventually.

As for the .030 nylon sheet, that sounds like prime fodder for a laser cutter. If you or someone you know someone have a laser cutter you could print out all kinds of wacky stencils, Christmas ornaments, etc.

At that thickness how easy would it be to work it with an Xacto knife?

I'm just guessing but I think I would try to keep that out of direct sunlight/weather. Most of the nylon bits I've seen don't look too pretty after a few years outside.

darryl
09-11-2012, 02:04 AM
I don't know if you'd call me a hoarder, but I do have a mind for useful things. I don't subscribe to the notion that if you haven't used it in six months, out it goes. I have stuff that's been here for 20 yrs or more, and suddenly something comes up and I use it.

I'll eventually find a use for this nylon, and all the plastic sheet materials I scrounged out of scrapped flat screen tvs. Some of that is interesting stuff.