PDA

View Full Version : lubricant for open gears?

oxford
09-10-2012, 09:03 PM
What should be used as a lube for open gears on a lathe? It is for a clausing 5914, it would be the gears in the quickchange gear box and the gears coming off the spindle to drive the box. I didn't see it mentioned in the manual. I was thinking maybe a high pressure grease.

Dr Stan
09-10-2012, 09:24 PM
HP grease tends to sling off. Typically I use LPS wire & chain lube in a spray can as it contains moly and really sticks to the gears. Just keep in mind moly does not come out of clothes and will embed into your skin making it difficult (read impossible) to wash off.

JCHannum
09-10-2012, 10:09 PM
Chain lube is OK but messy. Another suggestion is to use way oil. Open gear lube is one of the purposes it is designed for. It also simplifies your lube inventory.

flathead4
09-10-2012, 10:22 PM
I use way oil. It clings reasonably well to the gears but chips don't really stick in it. Also, if you have to change your gears around, the way oil wipes easily off your hands, unlike the the true open gear or chain lubes mentioned above.

Tom

Duffy
09-10-2012, 10:35 PM
Has anyone tried summer weight chainsaw chain lube? It is designed to stick to a pretty fast moving chain.

OKChipmaker
09-11-2012, 12:29 AM
chainsaw chain lube on a S B 9 for the last 30 years.

kd4gij
09-11-2012, 12:58 AM
I use chainsaw lub on my atlas it works well

oldtiffie
09-11-2012, 01:46 AM
I think I'd be inclined to clean all the gears in the gear train as well the quick-change gear-box - and don't forget the lead-screw etc. and suff under the apron.

It might be a good idea to check the meshing of the gears and QCGB (all are adjustable) as those gears operate in a pretty grotty environment.

SteveF
09-11-2012, 07:20 AM
This info supposedly comes from the Clausing Yahoo group, you might want to check there to see if there is more, maybe a lube chart.

Clausing Cross Reference-

D, W1 - General Oiling - Mobil Vactra 2 (a common way oil, Shell Tonna 33)

W2 - Spindle resevoir - Mobil DTE 24 (Shell Tellus 27, used in hydraulics, SAE 10, ISO 32)

W4 - Carriage resevoir - Mobil DTE 26 (Shell Tellus 33, used in hydraulics, SAE 20, ISO 68)

S - quadrant gear teeth - Mobilux 2 (Shell Alvania 2)

Here are some additional crosses

D, W1 - General Oiling - ISO #68 way oil
Mobil - Vactra #2, Shell - Tonna V68, Texaco - Way 68

W2 - Spindle resevoir - ISO #32 AW hydraulic oil
Mobil - DTE 24, Shell - Tellus Plus 32, Texaco - Rando HD32

W4 - Carriage resevoir - ISO #68 AW hydraulic oil
Mobil - DTE 26, Shell - Tellus Plus 68, Texaco - Rando HD68

S - Quadrant gear teeth - NGL2 lithium based EP grease
Mobil - Mobilux EP2, Shell - Albida LC2 , Texaco - Lith EP2

Ozarkwoodworker also sells a repro of the manual.

Steve

EVguru
09-11-2012, 07:59 AM
What should be used as a lube for open gears on a lathe?

This is just a crazy thought you understand, but how about........

Open gear lubricant!

http://www.onlinebearings.co.uk/images/P/open-gear-lubricant.jpg

vpt
09-11-2012, 08:08 AM
I use ARP moly assembly lube. I use it for all kinds of stuff. I wish I could get it in a big tube. I put it on about 3 years ago and its still there doing its job.

firbikrhd1
09-11-2012, 10:05 AM
Like EVguru, I use open gear lube. Sticky, messy stuff if you have a plain change gear lathe. Fortunately, I found a Quick Change gearbox for mine so no more dirty hands changing gears and a lot faster to boot.

ogre
09-11-2012, 11:22 AM
Lub matic i believe was the makers name on can and it is a open gear and wire rope lube that is awesome and anything its sticking to wont rust but i havent been able to find a can in my area to restock,but i loved it.

jim davies
09-11-2012, 11:56 AM
>>]Lub matic i believe was the makers name on can and it is a open gear and wire rope lube that is awesome and anything its sticking to wont rust but i havent been able to find a can in my area to restock,but i loved it.

I use both open gear lube and regular oil, alternating depending on what the gears look like at the time.
Also spray chain lube. I find the gears get and stay black and seemingly covered by lube with the open
gear lube or chain lube, and a few drops of oil onto the turning gears re-wets the lube yet the oil doesn't
fly off. So, depending on your point of view, either the oil is held in suspension by the gear lube or
the gear lube is re-oiled by the oil. ;-)

Rex
09-11-2012, 12:21 PM
Lubriplate also makes an open gear lubricant in an aerosol can.

I have used Lucas 5th wheel grease in a pinch. Sticky stuff, but it sure stopped all the noise!

oxford
09-11-2012, 04:28 PM
I think I'd be inclined to clean all the gears in the gear train as well the quick-change gear-box - and don't forget the lead-screw etc. and suff under the apron.

It might be a good idea to check the meshing of the gears and QCGB (all are adjustable) as those gears operate in a pretty grotty environment.

Thanks, I am in the process of doing that, what a mess. After looking at the clausing lube chart again, it looks like they are using way oil for the gears. I didn't relize that some of the oil fittings are just open on the other side and the oil just drops onto the gears. The chainsaw bar lube also sounds like a good idea, and I will look into a can of that open gear lube. Thanks.

JoeLee
09-11-2012, 07:34 PM
I use ZEP 2000 on the QC gear box on my Clausing 5900. I'ts an open gear / wire rope spray lube, probably like the LPS and some others.
It clings real well and doesn't drip of fly off.

JL...................

lane
09-11-2012, 09:06 PM
Open chain and cable lube . Its black like tar but stays on .

adatesman
09-11-2012, 10:11 PM
FWIW, Steve's info doesn't quite match what I got from the manual in the 5900 section of the Clausing Yahoo Group, but likely what he has is already translated to more commonly available lubes. For reference, I've got the chart from the manual sitting right here and it says:

Daily - Texaco Way Lubricant "D"
Weekly 1 - Texaco Way Lubricant "D"
Weekly 2 - Texaco Regal PC-R&O
Weekly 3 - Texaco Regal PC-R&O
Weekly 4 - Texaco Regal Oil "G"
Weekly 5 - Texaco Multifak #2 Grease
Monthy - Texaco Way Lubricant "D"
Semi-annually - Texaco Crater No 2x Fluid

The gearbox ports are marked D, so waylube would seem the right choice. If you have a 5900, probably worthwhile to join the group just to download the manuals and whatnot. Doesn't cost anything, and personally I've found the parts diagrams quite helpful in my rebuild.

Oh, and with the cross-reference on the Yahoo Group I ended up with Waylube 68 for D, W1 and M (already had a jug of it), Mobil DTE24 for W2 and W3, and Mobil DTE26 for W4, which agrees with what Steve posted. Dunno what I did for for W5, and haven't had it long enough to worry about S. Wish they sold smaller jugs of the stuff, as I can't imagine ever being able to go through a gallon of each as a HSM.

This info supposedly comes from the Clausing Yahoo group, you might want to check there to see if there is more, maybe a lube chart.

Clausing Cross Reference-

D, W1 - General Oiling - Mobil Vactra 2 (a common way oil, Shell Tonna 33)

W2 - Spindle resevoir - Mobil DTE 24 (Shell Tellus 27, used in hydraulics, SAE 10, ISO 32)

W4 - Carriage resevoir - Mobil DTE 26 (Shell Tellus 33, used in hydraulics, SAE 20, ISO 68)

S - quadrant gear teeth - Mobilux 2 (Shell Alvania 2)

Here are some additional crosses

D, W1 - General Oiling - ISO #68 way oil
Mobil - Vactra #2, Shell - Tonna V68, Texaco - Way 68

W2 - Spindle resevoir - ISO #32 AW hydraulic oil
Mobil - DTE 24, Shell - Tellus Plus 32, Texaco - Rando HD32

W4 - Carriage resevoir - ISO #68 AW hydraulic oil
Mobil - DTE 26, Shell - Tellus Plus 68, Texaco - Rando HD68

S - Quadrant gear teeth - NGL2 lithium based EP grease
Mobil - Mobilux EP2, Shell - Albida LC2 , Texaco - Lith EP2

Steve

oldtiffie
09-12-2012, 03:39 AM
I use this in and on everything - ways, slides, tables, lead-screws, gear-boxes, open gears - the lot.

As my machines are "light" it works just fine as a general duty machine lubricant.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa294/oldtiffie/Lubrication/Machine_lub_oil1.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa294/oldtiffie/Lubrication/Machine_lub_oil2.jpg

MikeHenry
09-15-2012, 06:10 PM

Steve

Or you could buy a manual from Clausing (might be free now) and support the original manufacturer.

lakeside53
09-15-2012, 10:32 PM
Don't use generic "chainsaw bar oil". It's the bottom of the barrel, usually recycled "anything goes" type of stuff. Spend less then $20 and buy a gallon a good way oil! Up to 5 years ago could buy Stihl chainsaw oil that was "virgin" and had paratac as the tackifier. No longer - it's the same junk everyone else sells, and has no paratac.

I use vactra-2 on open gears; no grease - it picks up junk like crazy. For the Clausing QC gearbox, use the recommended oil - certainly not "grease".

Clausing manuals are free -they will email you a PDF.

gstprecision
09-16-2012, 04:27 PM
I've been using Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer straight. I read that on this forum I think, and been using it ever since. A little goes a long way.

Put it on the gear and it migrates to all the other gears.

Cheers
GST

oxford
09-16-2012, 09:50 PM
I ended up using Vactra 2 way oil for now. I did get the parts manuals from Clausing sent to me for download. I thought that they did send the owners manual as well, but I guess they didn't. I will have to give them a call again and have it sent to me. I am a member of the yahoo clausing group as well. Thanks for the replies.