PDA

View Full Version : Photo: Left Hand Lathes

Carl
03-09-2004, 02:53 AM
http://img11.photobucket.com/albums/v35/lathefan/72e24761.jpg

PolskiFran
03-09-2004, 03:13 AM
Carl,
I think the negative was reversed for this pic. Take a look at the name on the second lathe back, below the tailstock. It seems to be backwards. Probably happened at the developer's shop.

Always great pics.
Thanks,
Frank

Excitable Boy
03-09-2004, 03:13 AM
Could it be that the negative was printed backwards?

John

------------------
Pursue Excellence and the rest will follow.

Mike W
03-09-2004, 03:26 AM
Hmmmn.....I am left handed but I would not want a left-handed lathe. I have spent too many years adopting to tools in a right-handed world.

winchman
03-09-2004, 03:59 AM
My wife is left-handed and she was the first computer user in the house, so I had to learn to use the mouse on the left side of the keyboard. Boy, am I glad I got used to that!! Even with my own computer, I've kept the mouse on the left. It makes it so much easier to have space on the right for writing.

Roger

Doc Nickel
03-09-2004, 04:58 AM
Yup. I saved the pic and flopped it in Photoshop. The second lathe back says (not clearly, but more legibly anyway) "Monarch".

While I have heard of lefty lathes, there's at least three different types there, including the one at the very back that, when put back to "normal" syure looks like a 9" SouthBend.

I think that if there were enough lefties like that, from major manufacturers, we'd have seen them by now.

Last, I can see a shop having one lefty lathe for some obscure reason (though I'm at a loss to see what that reason might be) but five? Nah, the pic got reversed.

Doc.

Forrest Addy
03-09-2004, 05:00 AM
I wonder if you fed chips into the tool whether it would put them back on the work as stock.

debequem
03-09-2004, 07:17 AM
Hey look! That guys got a left-handed suit!

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Marv

RPease
03-09-2004, 02:41 PM
Happens all the time. For years everyone thought that Billy the Kid was left handed. Most famous picture of him showed him with a pistol on his left side and a Winchester rifle supported with his right hand. Paul Newman even played him in the "Left-Handed Gun".

Someone finally noticed the Winchester's loading gate was on the left side of the rifle. They never were made that way. They finally figured out the photo was a reverse negative and Billy was right handed.

Go figure..........

Evan
03-09-2004, 02:44 PM
When I taught Sea Cadets to shoot we had three right handed Anshutz match rifles and one left handed one. After only a little getting used to it I found I could shoot better on the left than the right. Dunno why, I am right handed. I also could switch hit in baseball when I was a kid.

BillH
03-09-2004, 04:23 PM
maybe your left eye dominant. I Can use a left handed mouse as easy as a right handed one.