PDA

View Full Version : Depth Micrometer, For The Blind!

boslab
09-15-2012, 01:51 AM
I must admit i need glasses to see much but i dont think i have ever encountered a depth mic for a blind person before, have you?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOORE-WRIGHT-0-150mm-DEPTH-MICROMETER-FOR-A-BLIND-ENGINEER-/110949035752?pt=UK_Measuring_Tools_Levels&hash=item19d513eee8#ht_500wt_1288
mark

tdmidget
09-15-2012, 02:25 AM
Not a depth mike but Starrett has for many years produced micrometers for the blind. They are only available thru the National Assn for the Blind. There is no reason that a blind person cannot make these measurements with the proper instrument and indeed , may not be influenced by cosmetic factors.

justanengineer
09-15-2012, 06:02 PM
Never met a blind machinist before? Dont feel too bad, neither have I, but Ive been shown pics of a famous one. :P

One of the engineers I work with's father worked very closely with Ralph Teetor at Perfect Circle Ring Co, and coincidentally his son has a lot of his father's old papers and photographs. One of the photos he once showed me was of blind Ralph operating a lathe in a machine shop that was supposedly in Ralph's basement, where he was said to often work alone at night developing prototypes.

sasquatch
09-15-2012, 07:19 PM
Somewere on here i saw that article about the blind machinist. Anyone have it, or know where it was posted??

tlfamm
09-15-2012, 08:36 PM
Somewere on here i saw that article about the blind machinist. Anyone have it, or know where it was posted??

Here's one: http://www.hemmings.com/hcc/stories/2009/07/01/hmn_feature13.html

Machtool
09-15-2012, 09:41 PM

There was one on P.M some years ago, could that be it?

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/greatest-hits-links/blind-master-machinist-110665/

All the links in that thread, no longer work. Heres a current one.

Link>>> http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=57&vf=23

boslab
09-15-2012, 09:41 PM
Its amazing, just goes to show how lucky we all really are, half the pleasure or more of what we do is just looking at others work, i think the bulk of us would not bother if we couldn't even see what we were making.
regards
mark

KIMFAB
09-15-2012, 11:16 PM
Dunno about a blind machinist but when I left Minnesota I sold my table saw to a blind man that made cabinets.

His son came along to check it out for him.

dp
09-15-2012, 11:23 PM
I must admit i need glasses to see much but i dont think i have ever encountered a depth mic for a blind person before, have you?
mark

What a wonderful tool!

oldtiffie
09-15-2012, 11:51 PM
A freind of ours (Ray) is totally blind.

He has his own workshop for making wooden toys and small items of furniture which he sells (and does quite well at).

He has powered drills, planers, thicknesser, bench saw, sander and portable drills, saws, planer etc. His finishes and details are quite good - including painting.

He works alone in a totally darkened shop (no lights).

Only problem was that some years ago the quill return spring on his pedestal drill broke (machine running) and drilled straight through his first finger and nail - he was "spiked" - but got himself out of it.

He knew exactly where everything was in his property, house and shop - but if anything was moved (and he knew about it) he could immediately remember what the changes were. His sense of feel and spatial orientation was excellent.

My wife and I and a few others were at a barbeque with Ray and his wife. The owners of the property has several horses - but Ray had never "seen" (braille/felt) a horse and the look on his face when he was asked if he'd like to "see" the horse was someting never forgotten. It was only topped when the owner asked if he'd like to get on the horse - superb - but the looks when the owner led the horse and then when Ray was told how to handle the horse - and did it - was something never forgotten by any of us.

He had a lot of books on tape and he really enjoyed them.

He often offered to give the ladies a "braille look" - as a joke - but some seemed to think it was OK!!

When I was an Apprentice I used to board in a large boarding house and one of the boarders - a returned veteran - went totally blind the day the war finished with Japan. He used to walk several miles to and from work - sometimes used his white stick - but his hearing was phenomenal. He used to listen to the horse races and ran a "book" he knew all the horses and the odds and never missed when counting money. He used to taake his girl-friend to the races, the foot-ball and cinema ("movies") as he loved the atmosphere.

I never under-estimate the capabilities and faculties of the blind.

Some make the most of it while some just "drop their bundle" (hope).

Perhaps not a lot of diference to some who can see when disaster strikes.

oldtiffie
09-15-2012, 11:53 PM
http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_nf=1&cp=30&gs_id=3y&xhr=t&q=depth+micrometer+for+the+blind&pf=p&rlz=1W1IRFC_enAU360&sclient=psy-ab&oq=depth+micrometer+for+the+blind&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=138b28dd258470ed&biw=1920&bih=851

dp
09-16-2012, 01:36 AM
A freind of ours (Ray) is totally blind.

Great story, Tiffie - does the heart good to read of our fellow machinists that overcome more than a little drift in the ways.

oldtiffie
09-16-2012, 02:44 AM
Thanks DP.

Not only is Ray a talented musician on piano, organ and piano accordian but he is a very good tuner of pianoes and organs as he like many blind folk have or have developred an excellent "ear" and apptitude for a wide range of mainly "string" instruments. They have a very wide hearing musical spectrum that not many sighted people have.

He and some others like him can put away a good number of beers or three without any or much effect too.

He is one whose eyes follow where a noise or voice is very well. Its very hard to convince some people that he is blind.

jr45acp
09-16-2012, 10:12 AM
"Some make the most of it while some just "drop their bundle" (hope)." Tiffie what an exquisite expression. Thank you Sir for posting it! I knew a blind fellow who was a piano tuner in the State of Texas. His skills were highly sought after. More simply stated, he had a backlog of about 6 months.