PDA

View Full Version : Hello!...new guy from Michigan

DaFabricata
09-17-2012, 11:07 PM
Hello, been lurking around these parts for several months now and felt it's about time I introduce myself.
I must admit, the "Homemade tools" thread is what pushed me over the edge to join here. Seeing all the cool ideas and great information gave me motivation to finally tackle some projects I've been wanting to do and even added another HUGE list of more ideas to utilize.
I enjoy the member interaction and can tell this forum has some good people here.

Currently I am not employed but have been fortunate in finding odd jobs to help keep food on the table and bills paid. I'm in my mid-thirties and am single with no children and have not drove a vehicle in almost 12 years. I use a bicycle for transportation. No cable TV for 3 years and low rent with my only bills being phone/internet, gas and electric allow more funds to be free for more tools.
School was never something I enjoyed. My grades were fine, but I had no interest in being there. Fortunately, I seem to pick things up pretty easy. Schools not for everyone. I'd rather spend my money on tools and learn on my own than get sucked into the modern education system and spend WAY more money and time only to not be guaranteed a job or remain interested and have no tools to show. Again, it works for some, but not for me.
My interests include biking, hiking, flashlights, firearms, fabrication and design, learning, nature, and just enjoying the crazy ride we call life.

I started with just a bench grinder, vise and basic hand tools and now have a small home shop that I put together over the years. A majority of my tools were bought used and refurbished. Most all my benches/cabinets in my shop were either given to me, found in the garbage or made from scrap metal into something useful.

I did purchase a few things new such as my Miller Syncrowave 200 TIG welder, PM1127LB-VF Lathe, Rigid 14" cop saw, and most of my other power hand tools.

This summer and last, I refurbed my 9x18 lathe, milling machine, both bandsaws, drill press, belt/disc sander, a few vises, and chopped up about 4-5 different workbenches and carts to use the metal to make other more useful stuff.
Over the last few months I made a stand for my mill, and two new stands for my lathes.
Earlier today I started on my new workbench. It's 5'x4' with 3x3 legs, 2x3 top support with 2x2 leg bottom tie-ins. The top will be a few plates of 1/2" steel plates bolted to the top frame. There will he removable sections that can be replaced with pre-drilled aluminum top for laying out and jigging projects.

Looking forward to learning more and contributing when I can.

Eric Sanders, I need to send you a PM since you live in Brighton also. Maybe you can help me with my Sino DRO as I see you were able to decipher the china manual. I REALLY need to learn how to use it.

Flylo, if you're ever in the Brighton area, feel free to get in touch for a burger or drink. I really enjoy seeing all the cool stuff you find and would likely be doing the same if I still drove.

Anyway, that about sums it up for me! Good to be here!

I'll try to post of pic of the lathe stand for my 11x27 lathe..

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u

flylo
09-18-2012, 12:25 AM
Welcome! This is a great bunch here, you'll enjoy it I'm sure. Only place I know where if they say "YOU SUCK" it's a good thing, I think?

CCWKen
09-18-2012, 01:04 AM
Welcome to the forum! There's nothing at all wrong with old tools. Some of my best and most useful (to me) were made c.1867. I enjoy bringing old tools back to life and back to work. Many of my sheet metal machines were made prior to 1940. Even my lathe is from 1939.

One thing for sure; we know everything. When one can't help, there's a doctorate that will. :)

sasquatch
09-18-2012, 08:21 AM
Welcome,, sounds like you are already off to a great start!

browne92
09-18-2012, 11:20 AM
Only place I know where if they say "YOU SUCK" it's a good thing, I think?
Oh, definitely. Good thing.

And welcome!

flylo
09-18-2012, 12:18 PM
Forgot to add if you or any forum member are always welcome to stop by.

Bob Fisher
09-18-2012, 03:26 PM
Welcome to the group, I have enjoyed it here for some time now. I'm in Rochester Hills, not too far. Bob.

customcutter
09-18-2012, 05:33 PM
Welcome to the group.

Sorry to hear that you live near Flylo, needless to say that's why you had to buy a few things "new".

You'll have to check craigslist at least 50 times a day to get any "tool gloats".

Ken

Weston Bye
09-18-2012, 08:33 PM
Howdy neighbor,
I go past Brighton several times a year: NAMES, the CNC Workshop, visits to my Daughter, University of Michigan Hospital (I try to avoid that one)
Welcome to the board.

boslab
09-18-2012, 09:57 PM
Oh, definitely. Good thing.

And welcome! [so long as its suck not blow as when i first got here i thought both were equally bad as they mean something different over here!]
Defiantly, welcome to the tool addicts remedial facility, they aim to get you more addicted as a precaution!
You don't have to be mad but it helps
regards
mark

michigan doug
09-18-2012, 11:08 PM
Pull up a chair. Nice bunch here. Even the pissing matches are informative, if not amusing.

Finest regards,

doug

DaFabricata
09-19-2012, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!
Nice to see so many members close by! My offer extends to any members who will be passing by Brighton.

Hopefully I'll be able to get a ride to the local recycling center in the next few weeks to buy some more stock. They carry new material there also. Last time I was there, I got so excited about finding a drop of 1/2 plate that was perfect size and price for my lathe stand that I forgot the anvil I found until we were half way home!
The scrap yard is my idea of fun! It blows my mind that so much useful stuff is simply scraped.
I have a list of projects that would be nice to complete during the winter. A sandblaster, 1" belt sander, crane, are just a few.

I was able to get the legs welded to the top frame of my new workbench a few day back. I need to pick up some more 2x3 for the top cross supports and 2x2 for the bottom leg tie-ins. 1.5" threaded rod will be used for the adjustable feet allowing me to raise, lower, and level the table. I may make an overhead crane that would mount to the backside of the table with an I-beam trolley that would allow me to pick up heavy stuff from gound level and set it on the table.

Some of what I'd consider "tool gloat" would be both my bandsaws....one was picked up for $26 and needed a motor and blade and the other is a Jet that had the casting crack on one of its hinge corners that I bought for $100. Both are 4x6 saws. The Rigid floor standing drill press that I paid $20 for and just needed the switch taken apart, cleaned and put back together. Also got a Columbian swivel head vise for $30 and large Oxy/acetylene tanks that were full free from the same guy.....Does the "Gloat title" eligible for FREE items?.....if so, I have a list.

Looks like I'll have to try posting pics with my other computer since it's not working from this one..

EDIT: Looks like loading pics only works with my other computer...Anyway, the top pic is of the stand for the 11x27 lathe and the bottom pic is a stand I made for my 9x18 lathe. the bottom stand was made entirely from scrap metal I found in the garbage...even the stainless top and sides!

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u184/dafab/photobucket-11572-1347932343382.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u184/dafab/photobucket-7640-1348094928003_zps3ec3e23b.jpg

Oldbrock
09-20-2012, 08:00 PM
Welcome to the forum. Looks like you have all your ducks in a row. Good looking benches, you might find the extension in front of the lathe bench bothersome but a beautiful job, you have an eye for color, looks professional. Look forward to future posts, Peter

becksmachine
09-20-2012, 08:43 PM
[so long as its suck not blow as when i first got here i thought both were equally bad as they mean something different over here!]
Defiantly, welcome to the tool addicts remedial facility, they aim to get you more addicted as a precaution!
You don't have to be mad but it helps
regards
mark

Haven't seen anything resembling a remedial facility, maybe I haven't been here long enough yet?? :D

Dave

sasquatch
09-20-2012, 09:43 PM
Real nice work on those tables!!
Wondering- what is that "Hood" for behind the lathe?

Dr Stan
09-20-2012, 09:48 PM
Welcome to the insane asylum. There's something about iron, especially old iron, that gets into the blood and causes an addiction to all things mechanical.

BTW, watch out for a neighbor in Michigan who has this ability to snatch up any and all tool gloats in your vicinity. He must have so much iron in his blood he needs to shower with WD-40. :)

flylo
09-20-2012, 10:46 PM
Thank You Dr Phil, I mean Dr Stan I resemble that remark.

flylo
09-20-2012, 10:56 PM
DeFab, too bad your not closer we would double team these guys with gloats! I flew with a friend that hadn;t drove in years. Had a small one seater, I had room in the hanger, he lived a simple life also. Very cool!