PDA

View Full Version : South Bend Drill press/Light milling vise

martik
09-25-2012, 10:59 AM
http://www.grizzly.com/products/4-Precision-Drill-Press-Vise/SB1215

Anyone tried this vise for light milling? If you look at the manual it is almost twice the size and 3x the weight of the average DP vise.

Would be useful to know the tolerances.

lakeside53
09-25-2012, 11:08 AM
"Precision" and "drill press"? Call me skeptical, but "hand scraped"?

Looks prettier than most, but would have to be very "light" milling. And I bet it lifts when clamped.

What size milling machine do you have?

BigJohnT
09-25-2012, 11:12 AM
I doubt that vise has tolerances except fit into the box.

IMHO if you want a small cheap milling vise get a tool makers vise like this one (http://www.grizzly.com/products/2-Precision-Tool-Maker-s-Vise/T10075).

John

justanengineer
09-25-2012, 12:02 PM
Dont we already have a thread on polishing a turd? :p Judging by the amount flaking that keeps popping up on Chinese tools, I suspect they have either figured out how to mount a flaker to a robot or else flylo's found a few to sell them along with his other steals.

A true milling vise is well worth it IMO as you always run into jobs where the vise just isnt big enough, and the type of vise in your link isnt really rigid or deep enough for many situations. If you need a smaller mill vise, I would suggest either buying a real mill vise or maybe making one similar to a toolmaker's vise. If OTOH you need a drill press vise that you can occasionally mill with, keep your eyes open for a used and abused mill vise. I have several 6-10" that were cheap (<$20) simply bc some knucklehead drilled into them multiple times. While Im sure I wouldnt wanna mill w/them too much, on the dp they work nicely.

Rosco-P
09-25-2012, 01:19 PM
Probably the only accurate statement in the Grizz description, " Beautiful South BendŽ light gray color scheme." As others have commented, Grizz doesn't state tolerances on precision tools.

By light milling, do you mean aluminum? One good quality milling vice will serve most all needs.
I use a 4" Heinrich most of the time on my drillpress, but sometimes substitute an 8" milling vice for added capacity.