PDA

View Full Version : Looking for oddball sized Tap and Die

haroldmulder
09-25-2012, 08:34 PM
I am looking for a 37/64ths by 36 TPI Tap and Die. If anybody out there knows where I can get one for a reasonable price please let me know. I've already contacted some companies that will make a set for around 250$ however loathe to do this as I will probably only use them once or twice and then put them away. Need these to help rebuild a Hardinge Cataract QC lathe. If you have any info please contact me at haroldmulder(@)hotmail.com

Thanks
Harold Mulder

JCHannum
09-25-2012, 08:58 PM
Victor Machinery offers a wide selection of special taps & dies. They don't list 37/64-36 but do list 9/16-36 which might be close enough. They are also make specials for what i understand is a reasonable price.

http://www.victornet.com/subdepartments/Special-Pitch-Dies-17/32-to-1-1/8-inch/1360.html

For a one time use, it is not all that difficult to make a tap and only a bit more difficult to make a die if it is not possible to single point the male thread.

Dr Stan
09-25-2012, 10:09 PM
Have you checked with flyo?

DR
09-26-2012, 01:38 PM
Where on the machine are such odd balls? And, how did you measure them to be sure that's exactly what they are?

Barrington
09-26-2012, 01:53 PM
A 37/64ths by 36 TPI tap listed here:-

https://jtsmachine.com/JTSWebShop/Taps_Dies/T059.asp

- Had a quick look but couldn't find a die.

Cheers

haroldmulder
09-27-2012, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the suggestions and tips. Have already checked out JTS seems to be a partner with KBC which also sells a tap but no die. Even same part numbering system. The parts are on the Crossfeed and compound screws. It is the thread that holds the locking nut for the vernier scale as well as holding the backing for the vernier scale as well. We are confident in the sizing as two of us with the same machine came up within thous with the same numbers which equates to 37/64th. Bought the 15$ tap from KBC for that size and it fits into the thin nut with maybe a thous or two slop. Measuring the thread on the tap and on the shafts that are already threaded to accept the nut shows again 1-2 thous differential. So with that in mind will use the tap where needed and carefully thread the shafts on my second lathe and hopefully this newbie will have some success.
Again thanks for the tips

Harold Mulder

quasi
09-28-2012, 12:59 AM
Victor works for me for hard to find taps and dies.

haroldmulder
09-28-2012, 07:22 AM
Thanks will contact them and see what they say.

Harold

Rosco-P
09-28-2012, 08:30 AM
Since no one asked.
What machine is this thread found on?
Any chance this is a metric thread?

haroldmulder
09-28-2012, 06:42 PM
The thread is on a hardinge Cataract QC lathe made in Chicago Dec 1916 that I am in the process of restoring.
there are a few non standard threads on the machine as compared to today's machines.

Harold Mulder