PDA

View Full Version : Bead Roller Motor and Mods question

dp
09-25-2012, 09:54 PM
I've just bought a Harbor Freight bead roller and want to perform some of the common mods to it including adding a motor. Anyone have any suggestions for a motor? I've explored the Dayton gearmotor options and that can work but for about $300 which I'd like to avoid.

I think an ac/dc motor with a max shaft rpm around 14 would work out right. Didn't find anything in the current Surplus Center catalog but will explore the web site.

What I'd like to make is a three-sided circular channel of stainless steel. A circular trough, exactly, about 3' in diameter and about 3 1/2" in width by 1 1/2" deep. After that it's just another fun toy for the shop.

MaxHeadRoom
09-25-2012, 10:07 PM
I assume you mean an AC or a DC motor? as you will be hard pressed to find a AC/DC (Universal) motor that will run at 14rpm.
There is a new Bodine gear motor on ebay right now for $30.00.
Max.

dp
09-25-2012, 10:21 PM
I assume you mean an AC or a DC motor? as you will be hard pressed to find a AC/DC (Universal) motor that will run at 14rpm.
There is a new Bodine gear motor on ebay right now for $30.00.
Max.

Yes - AC or DC gearmotor. I'd like to avoid sprockets or pulleys.

alsinaj
09-25-2012, 11:12 PM
Here's my suggestion for driving your bead roller: http://www.harborfreight.com/portable-electric-pipe-threader-95955.html

Max RPM = 20. It's an ordinary univaersal motor, so you can use an inexpensive speed control. And all the parts will be HF, so you haven't diluted your pedigree.

CCWKen
09-26-2012, 02:42 AM
I use a DC motor with controller and direction control. A foot pedal controls the speed (variable). The gearbox is from a smoked gear motor and I made an adapter for a new motor. You'll need to beef the frame up to roll SS and CR past 22ga. HF started making the frame from thinner plate around five or so years ago. I have the older version made with 12mm plate and it still needed help. But, I can roll 18ga. CR with it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/CCWKen/ToolBox/Bead%20Roller/2005_0814BeadRoller0002.jpg