PDA

View Full Version : Marking tools

Thrud
03-08-2004, 03:34 AM
If you insist on marking your tools may I sugest that you get a custom microstamp made from these people

http://www.microstampusa.com/

so your tools will at least not look butchered by an filthy animal. Be kind to your precision tools.

Mike W
03-08-2004, 04:00 AM
Hey, that is a good idea. If you give your animal a bath, it will be a clean animal.

Bill Cook
03-08-2004, 07:42 AM
"How should I know why my name is on the murder weapon?"

What about those specialty tools. Over the years I've made quite a few. The problem is, I don't remember what some of them are or fit.

Got one of those vibrating markers, but can barely write legibly at a desk with a good ball point pen, let alone on small irregular parts with a mini jack hammer.

I've been intrigued by the type of marker that works kinda' like a welder.

I'd like to possibly make one, but the only plans I've seen look a little too hokie.

Etching Pen at
http://vintagefarmplans.com/page3.html

Any Links, thoughts, or experiences?

bc

JCHannum
03-08-2004, 10:47 AM
The electronic etching sets start out at around the same price as a three letter stamp. They can do a nice job too.
The electric pencils (welder style) may be a little easier to use than the vibrating ones, but the mark left is usually pretty terrible looking.

Paul Alciatore
03-08-2004, 12:12 PM
The thing I have against any stamp or vibrating tool is that they create raised areas on the surface. Many of the tools we use are ground and polished to a very flat surface and I feel it is a horror to do something like taht to them. The fact that this one is almost too small to see does not eliminate this drawback to stamping things.

What I would like is a stamp that can use a chemical process to imprint my name/logo permanently on such a surface without creating a raised area.

Paul A.

wierdscience
03-08-2004, 10:14 PM
One note,if you have any digital tools(calipers,mics and such)then none of the above,use stickers

chkz
03-09-2004, 02:25 AM
as far as the "welding type" marking goes...I've cut the carbon rod out of a c or d cell battery...sharpened one end and used it as an electrode (with, wouldja believe, a 12v battery charger). Does a pretty good job! Could probably make a MUCH cleaner/efficient version using this idea....

good luck!

gizmo2
03-09-2004, 10:08 AM
Bill, ain't that the truth. I obviously spent alot of time making this gizmo, I wonder what it's for??? If there is a shop in your town with a laser, there's a product called Cermark used in conjunction with the laser engraver, and it leaves a nice mark especially in stainless, with no 'depth' to it but very durable. If you do one at a time it's pricey but if you batch 'em the price ain't bad. To laser aluminum, it needs to be anodized first.

J. Randall
03-10-2004, 12:47 AM
Chkz, I hadn't thouht of that use, good idea. I have used the carbon rods and car battery or welder to spot anneal for drilling casehardened gun recievers for scope mounts. Works real good. James

bikenut
03-10-2004, 12:36 PM
I don't mark my tools, I don't have to. Most of them have been in my box for 15 or 20 years and I know them by sight. If you are holding one of my tools, and I did not give it to you, you are wrong and should feel funny. It will be delt with after work, off company property.

Thrud
03-11-2004, 04:56 AM
Incase you were not paying attention in class, they also sell stamps that leaves an indelible ink on any surface - these "marks" look like a tiny scratch but can be up to 18 characters long - they recommend your state abbreviation followed by your drivers license # such as "CA DR83459102" and it will look like a small scratch like "-" in .o1 mm high letters.

They also have the Tungsten Carbide thriple initials punch...