X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigJohnT
    • Sep 2012

B&S 6x12 Grinder

I'm going to look at a Brown & Sharpe 6 x 12 grinder with dust collector to add to my machine shop this morning. I used to run surface grinders many many years ago making cutter for nail machines so I'm somewhat familiar with the beasts. From the looks of the photos there is a good possibility that it will come home with me.

John
    My Web Site
  • DICKEYBIRD
    • Apr 2004

Sigh, lucky you. One of my goals is to get a small surface grinder and hope I can find room for it. Almost got a K.O. Lee a few years ago but a CNC project got in the way.

Hope you get a good'un and post lotsa pics!
    Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

• justanengineer
      • Nov 2010

I dont believe any B&S does, but make sure if youre buying a surface grinder that you check to see what type of table ways it has on it. If its got bearings instead of ways make sure you pull the table before transporting or you stand a good chance of damaging the machine.
      "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

• customcutter
        • Apr 2012

Just wondering if it came home with you? I bought an old #2 Reid years ago. Thought it had bad bearings because it was over heating, turned out it had sat so long the grease had set up. Hope it's a good one.

Ken

Comment

• BigJohnT
          • Sep 2012

Yep, it was a long day... 500 miles round trip but to my surprise it had a micro feed on the Z axis and seemed to have been subject to tool room use only. Came with a box of wheels, a dust collector, and a work cabinet with unknown things inside. Got home too late to unload and too dark to even try and turn trailer around.

John
          My Web Site

Comment

• BigJohnT
            • Sep 2012

So a guy on the IRC asks me if I got a balance rig for the wheels... I sat 8hrs a day for a few years in front of a surface grinder sharpening cutters for nail machines and never saw a balance rig anywhere in the shop. Does anyone balance the grinding wheels?

John
            My Web Site

Comment

• Jaakko Fagerlund
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BigJohnT View Post
              So a guy on the IRC asks me if I got a balance rig for the wheels... I sat 8hrs a day for a few years in front of a surface grinder sharpening cutters for nail machines and never saw a balance rig anywhere in the shop. Does anyone balance the grinding wheels?

John
              On a small grinder at work we do not balance it and haven't seen any signs on workpieces or the machine that it would be (too) unbalanced. It has 200 x 25 mm grinding wheels, we just install a new one and dress the sides and the circumference and use it. On a bigger Johansson grinder we do balance them, as the wheels are 350 x 50 mm and it can be seen if it is unbalanced.
              Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

• BigJohnT
                • Sep 2012

Yea this one uses an 8" x 1/2" wheel. I did find in the manual where it mentioned that this size wheel should not need balancing once the OD is trued. The manual also mentioned that if any vibration is noticed after truing the OD that you should return the wheel to the manufacturer.

John
                My Web Site

Comment

• Waterlogged
                  • Sep 2006

Pm me if you're interested in a B&S balancing setup.

Comment

• BigJohnT
                    • Sep 2012

Just an update on this... when I opened up the motor to check how it was wired up I found that it was not wired up for 240 or 480! Rather in some strange way that made it run slow... well after ohming out the coils to verify the wire numbers (some were rather hard to read) I wired it up for 240v 3ph and dang she runs sweet. It is an o-ring drive with 6 o-rings instead of belts. I gave up trying to clean the metering pistons for the oilers and found some FJC-0's on fleabay and a FJC-3 on amazon but I'm still missing a FJC-1 to completely replace them all. I found a pdf on the oilers that explains how they work and they have an inlet filter. I suspect the inlet filter has degraded over the last 39 years and has plugged up the metering orifice.

John
                    My Web Site

Comment

• BigJohnT
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Waterlogged View Post
                      Pm me if you're interested in a B&S balancing setup.

I'd be interested in seeing a photo of the B&S balancing setup.

John
                      My Web Site

Comment

• duckman
                        • Nov 2009

I don't have a picture but the balancing arbor has 2 end the same diameter and a tapered section in the middle that matches your wheel adapter then you put on a set of rollers , but if your wheel mount doesn't have adjustable weights don't waste your time trying to balance it.

Comment

• BigJohnT
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by duckman View Post
                          I don't have a picture but the balancing arbor has 2 end the same diameter and a tapered section in the middle that matches your wheel adapter then you put on a set of rollers , but if your wheel mount doesn't have adjustable weights don't waste your time trying to balance it.
                          Thanks, I just checked and the spindle adapter does not have the weights.

John
                          My Web Site

Comment

Working...
                          X