PDA

View Full Version : Fixture for drilling holes in leather belts

winchman
09-30-2012, 01:31 PM
I made this fixture for drilling holes in leather belts.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/winchman/Kellyslathe005_zps93c73591.jpg

The channel holds up to ten belts at a time. The rivet hole near the buckle loop goes on the pin at the right end for indexing the location of the holes spaced evenly along the belt.

The removable plates have notches that engage a pin on the fence that's installed on a drill press table. The plate slides under the fence, so the channel will be against the fence when the slot engages the pin. The space under the fence prevents chips from collecting where they would keep the fixture away from the fence.

Each plate has two sets of notches for different belt lengths. The plates are flipped over to use the other set.

That's going to be a huge improvement over marking and punching the holes on each belt by hand one at a time, and the fixture does a better job.

1-800miner
09-30-2012, 09:24 PM
I am curious on how well leather will drill.You may have to grind the drill differently to keep away from fuzzy holes.
Then again,fuzzy holes aren't a bad thing.

gwilson
09-30-2012, 09:43 PM
Make a hollow drill that is tubular,with an opening near the top for punchings to be ejected from and "rotary punch" the holes cleanly.

darryl
09-30-2012, 09:46 PM
You might use a core drill if it's going to be motor driven. This is just a tube sharpened on the end. I don't think I'd go more than a couple of belts at a time though. The divets taken out by the drill will have to be pushed out of the core drill each time. It's quicker and neater than a punch, and you might be able to rig up an air-pressurized divet ejector- then you could almost drill continuously.

CCWKen
09-30-2012, 10:08 PM
Yeah, a paper drill would be perfect for this. Or as Darryl calls it, a core drill. A paper drill already has the chaff path built in.

winchman
09-30-2012, 11:36 PM
We tried it with the regular drill he had on hand, and it cut very clean holes through a stack of ten belt scraps. He plans on getting some new drills for doing the real work, though. I'll mention the core drills, so he'll know about them if he runs into problems.