PDA

View Full Version : Is IMSRV, the CNC stuff seller, still around?

DR
10-01-2012, 10:23 AM
Is the company still active? I notice their discussion forums don't have any current responses from "support".

John Stevenson
10-01-2012, 11:06 AM
Fred Smith is paranoid over criticism.
Anybody posts anything on his forum about Vector, DeskCNC and he bans them.

Rather amusing really :D :p

Some while ago Tim Leech was making his original set of starter ring gears. His idea was to use a big rotab on his milling machine with the rotab powered by DeskCNC slave over from his CNC.

He asked me if I could sort the code out for him so I started but remembered seeing a post from Fred on his forum that DeskCNC was going to implement sub-routines.
So banged a polite post on asking if sub-routines had been implemented and any documentation on how they worked.

Fred posted back short curt reply that I wasn't a registered user.

Posted back to say no but was helping a registered user, just got a mouthful in reply.

Tim went on and explained the situation he was the registered user, I was helping. Just got more vitriol back.
All I'm asking is has it been implemented and Fred refuses to say yes or no, more concerned that i wasn't a registered user.

By this time other have jumped into the post and it also got dragged over on to the CAD_CAM_DRO group which was very active at this time.
People were saying "Fred you need to just answer the question " but no Fred is his own master.
Quite a few people posted that if that was how he dealt with customers then he would be the last person they ever dealt with.

Finally I posted and said Fred you are digging yourself into a deep deep hole here and you need to address the original question to get out the hole, you are doing what little is left of your reputation no good.

Fred responded by banning both myself and Tim from the forum.

Bizarre.

Never did get an answer, I suspect it hadn't been implemented :p and did Tims code using Excel.

BigJohnT
10-01-2012, 11:19 AM
Wow DeskCNC is expensive at $350 for what you don't get. LinuxCNC (FREE) + Mesa Plug-N-Go Kit 5I25+7I76+IEEE1284 cable 6 ft. ($200) can control up to 5 axis and spindle with encoder feed back from the spindle for rigid tapping. And LinuxCNC has subroutines and a zillion other features.

John

George Bulliss
10-01-2012, 12:58 PM
Is the company still active? I notice their discussion forums don't have any current responses from "support".

Short answer is yes, Fred's company is still going. I saw him a few months ago and he had some new ball screw kit he was pushing.

DR
10-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Short answer is yes, Fred's company is still going. I saw him a few months ago and he had some new ball screw kit he was pushing.

Thanks for the reply.

I purchased Vector from Fred and am happy with the program, it's served me well with my mills and lathes. Fred has always been helpful with software problems I had.

My reason for asking the question is I haven't heard anything about version upgrades for what seems like a long time. I'm pretty sure what I have is the latest he's sold, but I know there are versions beyond my 12.4.086 with advanced features.