PDA

View Full Version : How many forum members does it take to change a lightbulb?

Fasttrack
10-04-2012, 03:11 PM
Sorry if this has been posted before. I got such a kick out of it I decided to re-post it here...

One to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed.

Fourteen to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently.

Seven to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs.

Seven more to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs.

Three to correct spelling/grammar errors.

Six to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb."

Another six to condemn those six as stupid.

Fifteen to claim experience in the lighting industry and give the correct spelling.

Nineteen to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb (or light bulb) forum.

Eleven to defend the posting to the forum saying that we all use light bulbs, therefore the posts are relevant to this forum.

Thirty six to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique, and what brands are faulty.

Seven to post URLs where one can see examples of different light bulbs.

Four to post that the URLs were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL.

Three to post about links they found from the URLs that are relevant to this forum, which makes light bulbs relevant to this forum.

Thirteen to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety, including all headers and signatures, only to add "Me, too."

Seven to post that moderators favor one brand of lightbulbs over another.

Five to post to the forum that they will no longer post, because they cannot handle the drama.

Four to say, "Didn't we go through this already, a short time ago?"

Thirteen to say, "Do a forum search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs."

Three to tell a funny story about their cat and a light bulb.

Last, but not least...

One lurker to respond to the original post six months from now with something unrelated and start it all over again

garagemark
10-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Or... one moderator to close the thread because the argument is becoming too volatile and the politics of any lighting should not be discussed.

Jaakko Fagerlund
10-04-2012, 03:18 PM
Just recently read the commenst from this and cracked pretty hard: http://clientsfromhell.net/post/20596132945/how-many-clients-does-it-take-to-screw-in-a-lightbulb

Sadly, there is no joke in those comments, they reflect what a lot of designers/freelancers/web gurus/IT people have to go through...daily :(

flylo
10-04-2012, 03:23 PM
You missed one. The wikipedia links.

toyjeep73
10-04-2012, 03:45 PM
:confused: I thought light-bulbs were obsolete and LED's had replaced them all

bandsawguy
10-04-2012, 03:47 PM
I agree

Sorry if this has been posted before. I got such a kick out of it I decided to re-post it here...

One to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed.

Fourteen to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently.

Seven to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs.

Seven more to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs.

Three to correct spelling/grammar errors.

Six to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb."

Another six to condemn those six as stupid.

Fifteen to claim experience in the lighting industry and give the correct spelling.

Nineteen to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb (or light bulb) forum.

Eleven to defend the posting to the forum saying that we all use light bulbs, therefore the posts are relevant to this forum.

Thirty six to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique, and what brands are faulty.

Seven to post URLs where one can see examples of different light bulbs.

Four to post that the URLs were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL.

Three to post about links they found from the URLs that are relevant to this forum, which makes light bulbs relevant to this forum.

Thirteen to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety, including all headers and signatures, only to add "Me, too."

Seven to post that moderators favor one brand of lightbulbs over another.

Five to post to the forum that they will no longer post, because they cannot handle the drama.

Four to say, "Didn't we go through this already, a short time ago?"

Thirteen to say, "Do a forum search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs."

Three to tell a funny story about their cat and a light bulb.

Last, but not least...

One lurker to respond to the original post six months from now with something unrelated and start it all over again

The Artful Bodger
10-04-2012, 04:25 PM
So which is better, the screw in or bayonet type light sockets?

:rolleyes:

Dr Stan
10-04-2012, 04:37 PM
Don't forget a reference to another forum which of course is much better than HSM. :rolleyes:

Dr Stan
10-04-2012, 04:38 PM
So which is better, the screw in or bayonet type light sockets?

:rolleyes:

Which size of screw in? :rolleyes:

The Artful Bodger
10-04-2012, 04:42 PM
Errr..... E27.... is that the common household size?

boslab
10-04-2012, 05:22 PM
But does the light bulb WANT to be changed, it could be quite happy as it is?
Or is that how many Psychiatrists does it take to change a light bulb?
Mark

Doozer
10-04-2012, 05:55 PM
http://rlv.zcache.com/smiley_light_bulb_sticker-p217456559774337189envb3_400.jpg

At least I always try and post a picture of a light bulb.
...And usually have something that pisses me off about light bulbs.
Aw man! I'm out of raisin bran. What the hell?
Hey, It's almost 5 o'clock.
I got beer!
--Doozer

John Stevenson
10-04-2012, 07:16 PM

It's actually tiffiepedia....................

lane
10-04-2012, 08:27 PM
What is the pitch of the thread on a light blub and what is the thread form ? Just to keep this as a machining topic.

Peter S
10-04-2012, 08:42 PM
Yeah, that's typical - the OP just says "lightbulb" when it could be any of a hundred different types, e.g. street lighting takes a truck with a man-lift and a man, how do we factor that in? Changing a big sodium light in a high bay requires skill and equipment, perhaps we should be asking "how many forum member hour-equivalents?" It's all too typical - we need more info before we can help!
Thanks.

Paul Alciatore
10-04-2012, 08:57 PM
Dozer, must I remind you that this is a machinist board. How dare you post a picture of a light bulb with an incorrect representation of the threaded base. Every light bulb I have ever seen has a single start thread and the crests of a single start thread are staggered on opposite sides.

Jeeeeeeeez!

- - - - - - - - - - -

I think that makes me the board member with a totally lame objection to one of the smart-ass comments referred to above.

http://rlv.zcache.com/smiley_light_bulb_sticker-p217456559774337189envb3_400.jpg

At least I always try and post a picture of a light bulb.
...And usually have something that pisses me off about light bulbs.
Aw man! I'm out of raisin bran. What the hell?
Hey, It's almost 5 o'clock.
I got beer!
--Doozer

Bill736
10-04-2012, 10:22 PM
And one " know it all" member who first Googles " light bulbs" , and then reports the information as though it came right off the top of his head, and further claims he was a light bulb expert for 15 years, and then insults anyone who disagrees with him. (Not that we have anybody like that on this forum.)

Doozer
10-04-2012, 10:36 PM
Dozer, must I remind you that this is a machinist board. How dare you post a picture of a light bulb with an incorrect representation of the threaded base. Every light bulb I have ever seen has a single start thread and the crests of a single start thread are staggered on opposite sides.

Jeeeeeeeez!

- - - - - - - - - - -

I think that makes me the board member with a totally lame objection to one of the smart-ass comments referred to above.

Paul- The light bulb was drawn in SolidWorks, and it uses circular threads instead of spiral threads to save memory space.
Download some Bolt models from McMaster Carr and the threads look the same way.

--Doozer

Mcgyver
10-04-2012, 11:02 PM

with offtopic links to a google search on "light"

Dr Stan
10-05-2012, 01:07 AM
Errr..... E27.... is that the common household size?

Don't know what they do in Kiwi land, but here there were two sizes when I was little. One was called mongul, mongol, or something like that. About 1 1/2 times the size of a standard light bulb. Used a lot for three way (multi watt) bulbs.

Tait
10-05-2012, 01:29 AM
Me too.

armedandsafe
10-05-2012, 01:40 AM

Jeeeeeeeez!

- - - - - - - - - - -

Does that mean you CAN'T make it fit? :rolleyes:

Pops

Forrest Addy
10-05-2012, 03:13 AM
Metric filaments?

oldtiffie
10-05-2012, 03:18 AM
What is the pitch of the thread on a light blub and what is the thread form ? Just to keep this as a machining topic.

Types

A three-way E26d light socket

An E26 Edison screw to NEMA 1-15 adapter
Dimensions and tolerances for screw bases are standardized in ANSI standard C81.67 and IEC standard 60061-1. The two standards have mostly been harmonized, although several types exist in only one of the two standards with no equivalent in the other.

The designation Exx refers to the diameter in millimeters, even in the U.S., where the bulb glass is listed in eighths of an inch. (For example, E12 has a diameter of 12 mm.) There are four common sizes of screw-in sockets used for line-voltage lamps:
Candelabra: E12 North America, E11 in Europe
Intermediate: E17 North America, E14 (Small ES, SES) in Europe
Medium or standard: E26 (MES) in North America, E27 (ES) in Europe
Mogul: E39 North America, E40 (Goliath ES) in Europe.
Other screw thread sizes exist for other uses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edison_screw

An edison screw lamp is about the only thing that you have to screw up properly to get it right.

Evan
10-05-2012, 03:53 AM
Must be pretty slack tolerances on E26 since E27 bulbs from China fit just fine.

malbenbut
10-05-2012, 04:01 AM
They are not used in the light but in the night so they should be called a night bulb or a nightbulb or even a dark bulb or a darkbulb but I thing A dark bulb emits a black light.
MBB

Evan
10-05-2012, 04:42 AM
Light bulbs are actually Dark Suckers. You can increase the Dark Sucker capacity by turning up the voltage. You have to be careful because the Dark has to be drained off through the wires. If the Dark Sucker voltage is turned up too high the incoming Dark will overload the filament and the wires won't be able to drain it off fast enough. Then the Dark Sucker bulb will fill up with Dark until you can't see the filament. This usually happens without warning when the Dark Sucker gets old or there is a voltage surge. Once the bulb has filled up with Dark there is no way to get it out. The Dark Sucker then stops sucking because it is full and the Dark then fills the space around it. The Dark Sucker turns into an ordinary Dark Bulb.

mike4
10-05-2012, 04:48 AM
And what finish must it have and is the clearence in thou or hundredth's?

Michael

Black Forest
10-05-2012, 04:51 AM
Back to the original question.

After serious time spent pondering this question I came to the conclusion that light/dark bulbs are not so different than us humans.

It only takes one member to change a light/dark bulb. BUT the light bulb has to want to change.

Rosco-P
10-05-2012, 09:41 AM

That would be......Tiffiepedia links.

Rosco-P
10-05-2012, 09:43 AM

Should have scanned the entire thread. You beat me to it.

customcutter
10-05-2012, 05:43 PM
I heard Chuck Norris is so bad, he can turn of the light and be in the bed before the room goes dark.

Ken

Toolguy
10-05-2012, 06:14 PM
Yes - and he sleeps with a pillow under his gun!

Dr Stan
10-05-2012, 09:23 PM
Yes - and he sleeps with a pillow under his gun!

This is my weapon, this is my gun. This is for fightin' this is for fun. :)

Toolguy
10-05-2012, 10:39 PM
In that case, I'm assuming he has a big pillow.

sch
10-06-2012, 12:40 AM
just looked it up, the light bulb post appeared on the late, unlamented RCM (rec.craft.machinist) group word for word in 2004
Group was fairly good from ~'98 to `'05 or so when the blowhards and flame wars got really bad and the info content became
nil.

A.K. Boomer
10-06-2012, 11:08 AM
There's a polish joke in here somewhere too - but im not going to go there....

jhe.1973
10-06-2012, 12:28 PM
There's a polish joke in here somewhere too - but im not going to go there....

Which reminds me of something I always thought funny about the objections I hear about ethnic jokes.

When I was young - way too long ago - the same jokes used to be moron jokes. Why did the moron do ........... Did you hear about the moron who ........ a moron walks into a bar ............ etc.

Why is it that nobody stands up and says, "I'm a moron and I find that joke offensive!"

So, is this far enough off the original topic?

I don't know 'cuz I must be a moron.

;)

malbenbut
10-06-2012, 01:53 PM
QUOTE BY JHE
"To invent you need a good imagination and a pile of junk" - Thomas Edison

I've a pile of junk, will you ask Thomas to contact me?
MBB

Dr Stan
10-06-2012, 04:11 PM
QUOTE BY JHE
"To invent you need a good imagination and a pile of junk" - Thomas Edison

I've a pile of junk, will you ask Thomas to contact me?
MBB

Hum, anybody out there conduct seances?

jhe.1973
10-06-2012, 05:41 PM
Hum, anybody out there conduct seances?

I'll give it a try.

AAAAAHHHHHHHMMMMMMMOOOOOOMMMMMM..........

Beep - beep - beep - beep

Damn, I got a busy signal!

:D