PDA

View Full Version : cnc / computer problem

motorworks
10-04-2012, 09:23 PM
Hi
After some though I went back to Turbo CnC on my mill...it worked great
for 14 years ..with the same computer...and it now runs again.
I don't need all the bells and whistle of mach 3 as I use two CAM programs..
BUT
I am looking at Linux for the Lathe (which now runs in Mach3)
I have the boot disc made, but I can not get the computer to boot into to it.
I has windows 2000 nt....
I set the bis to boot from the CD and it waits a second or two and then go on to Windows...
Tried setting all to boot from Cd only and it still goes into windows...
Any suggestions
Eddie

BigJohnT
10-04-2012, 09:35 PM
How did you burn the CD? If you just copied the file it will not boot, you must burn the ISO image to make a CD bootable.

http://linuxcnc.org/docs/html/common/Getting_EMC.html#_getting_linuxcnc

BTW, you will love LinuxCNC for your lathe. I do 90% of the ops using ngcgui subroutines and no programming.

John

motorworks
10-04-2012, 09:40 PM
Thanks....I burned it from a jump drive....no burner on my lap top...
back to the drawing board...
thanks
eddie

skunkworks
10-04-2012, 09:40 PM
Also - if the CD-ROM has not been used in ages - It may be bad. Do you have another boot-able cd like windows 2000/xp to test? (that would rule out hardware)

sam

motorworks
10-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Thanks....true, the Cd drive has not been used in years...I'll test it in the am at the shop...
eddie

Jaakko Fagerlund
10-05-2012, 12:40 AM
Does your computer understand booting from USB? If so, try making a bootable Linux to a USB stick :)

BigJohnT
10-05-2012, 07:40 AM
If the computer is pretty old you might need to us the 8.04 LiveCD.

John

customcutter
10-05-2012, 05:54 PM
Eddie: Good luck with this project. I tried for 3 days to make a "bootable" disc. I tried copying the ISO file on my XP laptop. It said that the file was there and an ISO file, but no luck. I tried copying on my desktop Vista computer. It said that the ISO file was there, but still would not boot. Finally after 3 days and at least a dozen attempts, I used my wifes laptop with windows7. I now have a bootable disc. I even had a friend try copying the file with "Nero", and he had to use a "shadow drive", but it only booted to a "dos like screen" he said.

I told BigJohnT and Sparky_NY, I thought possibly it was IE8 or Verizon Fios, my provider. Finally Windows7, got it after about 20+ hours of aggrevation.

I still haven't had much time to check out linux, but hope to soon.

Ken

motorworks
10-05-2012, 06:20 PM
Wow...I don't feel so bad now...on my 4th disc and I still can not get it....
Tried both latest and 8.o4....still nothing....system come up not a bootable disc and goes to windows..
eddie

BigJohnT
10-05-2012, 06:22 PM
Amazingly every time I follow the instructions for making a bootable disk to the letter it works... I still can't figure out what you were doing wrong Ken... perhaps your living over an old Paleoindians burial ground...

John

skunkworks
10-05-2012, 06:29 PM
Did you try to boot a windows flavor cd? (commercially made..)? (again to rule out hardware)

I am with JT. (I have burned tons of linuxcnc on pretty much all versions of windows.) I really like the http://infrarecorder.org/ burner. It burns ISO's correctly and it is free.

Wow...I don't feel so bad now...on my 4th disc and I still can not get it....
Tried both latest and 8.o4....still nothing....system come up not a bootable disc and goes to windows..
eddie

skunkworks
10-05-2012, 06:34 PM
From the link jt posted.

Burning the ISO in Windows

Download and install Infra Recorder, a free and open source image burning program: http://infrarecorder.org/

Insert a blank CD in the drive and select Do nothing or Cancel if an auto-run dialog pops up.

Open Infra Recorder, and select the Actions menu, then Burn image.

motorworks
10-05-2012, 06:42 PM
Ok
I am using the burner on my dell laptop...the one that came with it... windows xp
I will try down loading the burner you suggested and see what happens...
eddie

skunkworks
10-05-2012, 06:44 PM
Couple of things more..
- CD-R's is all I have ever used.
- If you can - burn it at a lower speed. (like 8x or 6x)

BigJohnT
10-05-2012, 06:46 PM
Lots of "CD" software are aimed at burning music CD's and not burning an image file like an ISO file. If it won't boot up then you just "copied" the files.

More info on ISO files here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_image).

John

customcutter
10-05-2012, 06:51 PM
BigJohnT: I'll be 58 in just a few more weeks. Unfortunately, if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any at all. Most people think I'm paranoid, but they really are out to get me. Even the Paleo Indians.

Skunkworks: BigJohnT told me to download "infrareader", I tried several times. First time it wouldn't download because I didn't accept any of their other "freeware". Second time I accepted some of their other "freeware" and it told me my trial period had expired the first time I tried to run it. So I downloaded another "freeware" CD burner, still said the ISO file was on the disc, but would not boot.

I truly learned the meaning of insanity that weekend. You know doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Well, I was doing the same thing over and over, but changing it ever so slightly, and PRAYING for a different result.

My advice to the OP, try burning the ISO file from a different computer.

Ken

John Stevenson
10-05-2012, 06:57 PM
So could you imagine being a support guy and swapping over from Windows / mach 3 to linux / EMC and trying to handle support when a very, very large number of users can't even get it installed let alone setting it up.

I have said for years EMC is written by geeks for geeks, the biggest problem is they don't realise they ARE geeks . :o

BigJohnT
10-05-2012, 07:00 PM
BigJohnT: I'll be 58 in just a few more weeks. Unfortunately, if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any at all. Most people think I'm paranoid, but they really are out to get me. Even the Paleo Indians.

Skunkworks: BigJohnT told me to download "infrareader", I tried several times. First time it wouldn't download because I didn't accept any of their other "freeware". Second time I accepted some of their other "freeware" and it told me my trial period had expired the first time I tried to run it. So I downloaded another "freeware" CD burner, still said the ISO file was on the disc, but would not boot.

I truly learned the meaning of insanity that weekend. You know doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Well, I was doing the same thing over and over, but changing it ever so slightly, and PRAYING for a different result.

Ken

Ken, your not even broke in yet... I turn 59 on Monday. A quick google turned up a Free ISO burner (http://www.freeisoburner.com/) for windows. I've not tried it so if you do let me know how it works and I'll adjust the manual.

John

customcutter
10-05-2012, 07:16 PM
John, first of all congrat on the BD. Yes, that's the same "freeware" from Koyote that I tried downloading. Couldn't figure out how to get it to burn as an ISO image, it kept defaulting to "audio", so I wound up deleting it.

As I said I now have working copies of 8.04 and 10.04. Maybe Eddie will try it and can figure out how to switch it to burn the ISO image.

Again thanks for all of your help on burning the ISO image and registering on the linuxcnc forum.

Ken

skunkworks
10-05-2012, 07:27 PM
By Guess is you clicked on one of the ads on the page... (The http://infrarecorder.org/ is free as in speech and beer)

This is the download page.. http://infrarecorder.org/?page_id=5 (middle - not any of the banners)

Ken

motorworks
10-05-2012, 08:02 PM
ok...I burned it using the new program and it did boot to the cd...
ISOlinux 3.63.....etc H. Peter Anion
and then .....boot disc failed....

Gone to get beer....may drink some...pour some over the key board and or me head....
eddie

customcutter
10-05-2012, 08:17 PM
Beer, now I didn't think of that. (Served as a Southern Baptist deacon for 5 years.) That might have kept me from developing a migraine and taking Imitrex.

Did you try the other software that BigJohnT suggested earlier in the thread?

Ken

BigJohnT
10-05-2012, 08:19 PM

Gone to get beer....may drink some...pour some over the key board and or me head....
eddie

Burn at the slowest possible speed. What kind of beer?

John

John Stevenson
10-05-2012, 08:30 PM
Eddy,
If it doesn't work you need this .

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/linux_emc.jpg

motorworks
10-05-2012, 08:47 PM
I'm trying Magic Hat #9....very nice also got a Sam Adams October Fest...
ok at a slow speed....
here we go again....ah

skunkworks
10-05-2012, 08:57 PM
I know of a few companies that like supporting linuxcnc better than mach....

(Len Shelton is one... Fireball)

Funny, you say that, because right after I got this email... Chris came
to me, after spending an hour on the phone with a customer, and asked
"can we make all of our customers use EMC2?"

Obviously we cannot, but tech support for Mach3 is a WAY bigger
nightmare. Trust me. ;-)

>Len

Would you not, if you where supporting linuxcnc, send the CD with your product? One less thing the customer has to do..(which you can). The OS has linuxcnc already installed... Cool. Send xp and mach with your product? I bet that causes some licensing headaches... Xp installs are always smooth are they not? Find all the drivers you need? Linuxcnc actually works best with all the drivers already on the livecd. I have installed XP and linux many many times (I work IT). I have had less headaches with linux.

Dickeybird (sp) on here burned the CD and booted it on a few of his computers. It is possible. (don't know if he got any further ;)

sam

So could you imagine being a support guy and swapping over from Windows / mach 3 to linux / EMC and trying to handle support when a very, very large number of users can't even get it installed let alone setting it up.

I have said for years EMC is written by geeks for geeks, the biggest problem is they don't realise they ARE geeks . :o

skunkworks
10-05-2012, 08:59 PM
Can you try one of your other computers? (the live cd will allow you to boot and 'try' before you install)

sam

eddie

motorworks
10-05-2012, 09:11 PM
Ok....I will Tommorrow...and I'll burn off another berry berry slowly....
thanks for the help...and the punny pic (JS) ba ha ha
I will get this to work....;)
eddie

customcutter
10-05-2012, 09:27 PM
Ok....I will Tommorrow...and I'll burn off another berry berry slowly....
thanks for the help...and the punny pic (JS) ba ha ha
I will get this to work....;)
eddie

Yes sir, that right there is PUNNY!

I like your attitude. I didn't quit either.

Saw a bill board the other day. It said, "If winning was easy, losers could do it."

John Stevenson
10-06-2012, 05:08 AM
Hey lads, I'm only joking.
I must admit EMC does look interesting and I'm sure that I'll be using it on the Orac conversion when I get round to it but for anyone coming off windows it isn't easy.

It's OK for the guys that have done it and have the experience but it's like exams, they are easy if you know the answers.

Hopefully by the time I'm ready it might be better to get set up and run.
I still haven't seen a screen setup I'd be happy with.

peter76
10-06-2012, 05:29 AM
What kind of computer do you have? If it's 14 years old ( from your forst post ), it could be that it is not supported anymore ( "they" removed a lot of "old" hardware stuff from the kernel ).
You might try googling your hardware ( cpu / graphics /etc ) in combination with Ubuntu to see if something shows up.
Otherwise post your hardware here...

BigJohnT
10-06-2012, 07:33 AM
Hey lads, I'm only joking.
I must admit EMC does look interesting and I'm sure that I'll be using it on the Orac conversion when I get round to it but for anyone coming off windows it isn't easy.

It's OK for the guys that have done it and have the experience but it's like exams, they are easy if you know the answers.

Hopefully by the time I'm ready it might be better to get set up and run.
I still haven't seen a screen setup I'd be happy with.

When I burned my first livecd and booted it on my windoze machine I was amazed how similar Ubuntu 6.06 was to windoze... I had no problems navigating around in the OS the very first time I tried and I had never seen linux before. I had tried before to get a red hat distro up an running but never could get that to install. Ubuntu's focus is making linux easy for the ex windoze user...

John

customcutter
10-07-2012, 05:57 PM
Eddie:

Just wondering if you were able to get a "livecd"? Did you try a different software program? Different Computer? Maybe a different browser?

Ken

DICKEYBIRD
10-07-2012, 06:49 PM
Dickeybird (sp) on here burned the CD and booted it on a few of his computers. It is possible. (don't know if he got any further ;)Yup, I was able to burn the .iso with Nero 1st try and it booted up great in the 5 PC's I tried it in.

I'm VERY interested in LinuxCNC but I'm so far down the curve with my "new" lathe even with Mach that I'm going to forge ahead with it until I get more comfortable with basic CNC lathe/CAM/tools/offsets processes in general before attempting Linux.

I got 2 discs stored away in a safe place for when I feel confident enough to try it.

motorworks
10-07-2012, 07:06 PM
Ok
Found the problem...my two shop computers are too old...
got it to boot on a friends...my new lap top does not have a disc drive...
So the question:
What do I need in a computer to run the program....plan on running a lathe?
(My lathe now runs with mach 3 and that computer with NOT boot into linux)
regards
eddie

customcutter
10-07-2012, 07:32 PM
Eddie:

This is the only info I could find on system requirements. I know there is also a "page" somewhere that people have listed their systems and the "latency" scores that their systems had.

This is for Ubuntu 8.04

http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Hardware_Requirements

If I find the other page, I'll post it. My understanding is that it runs on older systems, but it is best to run a "latency" test to see where you are.

Ken

BigJohnT
10-08-2012, 08:25 AM
Ok
Found the problem...my two shop computers are too old...
got it to boot on a friends...my new lap top does not have a disc drive...
So the question:
What do I need in a computer to run the program....plan on running a lathe?
(My lathe now runs with mach 3 and that computer with NOT boot into linux)
regards
eddie

Did you try the 8.04 LiveCD? It works with older hardware and still supports the latest LinuxCNC.

A current favorite is the Intel BOXD525MW Intel Atom MB, it does use 204 pin memory but is fanless.

I've just ordered a GIGABYTE GA-D525TUD Intel Atom D525 for a future project and it uses regular 240 pin DDR3 memory. Both of these MB's are < $100 and are very compact.

John

motorworks
10-08-2012, 07:22 PM
Ok
Got it working ....i'm here now via linux....not too bad so far...just surfing the net...
I need another computer for the lathe, but for now I'll try surfacing etc..
thanks for the help
eddie
ps Biggest problem was the burner I was using...

BigJohnT
10-08-2012, 09:18 PM
Sweet! I love it when a plan comes together.

John