PDA

View Full Version : Porta Power cylinder repair

BigMike782
10-07-2012, 06:44 PM
I have a porta power cylinder that has a crumbling rubber seal.I would like to make a new seal but am not sure what type of material to use.
Any suggestions?

flylo
10-07-2012, 06:54 PM
I can't answer about the seal, but I have a 10 ton porta power if you need to borrow one just let me know.

oldtiffie
10-07-2012, 11:34 PM
I have a porta power cylinder that has a crumbling rubber seal.I would like to make a new seal but am not sure what type of material to use.
Any suggestions?

Why not get a parts list fom Porta Power or its agent/s, buy the part/seal you need, dismantle the cylinder, check it, fit new seal, assemble and test it.

If all is OK you are ready to go.

Same applies if that "cylinder" is a P-P (20 ton?) power unit/pump.

BigMike782
10-08-2012, 08:12 AM
The cylinder has no markings of any kind and the last time I was at the distrbutor he was not very pleased to be waiting on the general public and for such a pitiful thing like a floor jack kit.

Thanks for the offer Eric.

A.K. Boomer
10-08-2012, 08:52 AM
be nice if it was just an o-ring - then youd have it kicked,

iv used different but similar seals from other applications and modified them to make them work,

id go to a hydraulic shop with the old seal and see what they come up with, you may be surprised.

Dr Stan
10-08-2012, 10:19 AM
Why not get a parts list fom Porta Power or its agent/s, buy the part/seal you need, dismantle the cylinder, check it, fit new seal, assemble and test it.

If all is OK you are ready to go.

Same applies if that "cylinder" is a P-P (20 ton?) power unit/pump.

That was my first thought, but if the salesman is being a butt use the name & model number, go on-line, and find a on-line supplier. Order the parts and repair the cylinder. Job done. :)