PDA

View Full Version : If Dyson made motorcycles?

EVguru
10-09-2012, 08:43 AM
http://global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/img/Leisure/2009/spherebike.jpg

John Stevenson
10-09-2012, 09:08 AM
Then he's probably get another government grant so he could take manufacturing off shore and make another million or two.

lakeside53
10-09-2012, 11:12 AM
I bet they would suck ;)

Dr Stan
10-09-2012, 11:20 AM
I bet they would suck ;)

and blow other motorcycles off the road. :)

flylo
10-09-2012, 11:38 AM
But be easy to park!

John Stevenson
10-09-2012, 01:36 PM
I bet they would suck ;)

Well thats more than the vacuum does

Harvey Melvin Richards
10-09-2012, 03:23 PM
Well thats more than the vacuum does

Why the Dyson hate? I have 2 at home and they've been excellent machines.

John Stevenson
10-09-2012, 03:32 PM
Why the Dyson hate? I have 2 at home and they've been excellent machines.

Are these the made in Wiltshire or the made in Malaysia models ?

Harvey Melvin Richards
10-09-2012, 03:35 PM
Are these the made in Wiltshire or the made in Malaysia models ?
I'm not sure, both are at least 4 or 5 years old. One is a Ball Animal upright (DC-15), the other is the first model cordless. The cordless mostly gets used to relocate bugs to the outdoors.

tlfamm
10-09-2012, 04:35 PM
We have a DC25 Ball Animal: a magnificent pile of plastic; functions well; over-priced; wife likes it; 'nuff said.

john11668
10-09-2012, 06:19 PM
More suck for your buck with an "enerey"
http://www.onestopcleaningshop.co.uk/vacuum-cleaners/office-home-vacuums/commercial-size-henry-nrv200-22.html

rohart
10-09-2012, 06:49 PM
Had an early Dysan - sometime in the nineties. It ate a flat belt a month. Can't forgive that kind of design or quality control. Especially if it goes along with all his hype. I'll never contemplate another, and I'll bad mouth them till they go out of business.

My Karcher's OK, but the hose is too stiff.

Best I have is the square section pull along Hoover from 1978. The plastic is beginning to get a bit brittle, and the bags are scarce, but it's still good, and the hose goes where you want it to.

Don't you find that things nowadays are designed to look like the plastic crap toys that infants were given thirty years ago ? Vacuums, cars, vans, you name it. The designers must just put their thumbs in their mouths and think 'baby', and the ideas flow.

Gunsmithing
10-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Just think of segway made motorcycles? Go hundred on that one.

Dave

jstinem
10-10-2012, 12:03 AM
I'll try to hijack this thread and go back to the beginning:
What the heck is that thing pictured in the first post??

darryl
10-10-2012, 12:09 AM
Might be a comet- leaves other motorcycles in its dust-

A.K. Boomer
10-10-2012, 07:37 AM
all newer vacuums are junk, my old aluminum body hoover convertible would disembowel a dyson in short order with it's beater bar, and in fact any vacuum that doesn't have a beater bar is a pos, and in fact even if they do they still are a pos because the machines are too light to take advantage of it,

before a vacuum became a vacuum its how people used to clean rugs, hang em and whoop upside of em with a broom handle, you do that and add a vacuum and sweeper brushes and now you got something,

hoovers old motto " it beats as it sweeps as it cleans "

My Pops got his start selling hoovers, did you know the average piece of sand has 12 cutting edges? :p
Not very good for making your carpet last...

he would have people go over one spot on their carpet with their vacuum as many times as they wanted - then he'd ask them if they were satisfied if they got it clean - they would say yes and then he'd fire up the hoover with a see through plastic catch with a small white filter...
He would make one pass and the filter would turn dark and be full of dirt...
Many of these people owned Kirby's that were well over twice or even three times the expense.
for a long time you simply could not buy a better machine than a hoover.

I paid $1.oo for my early 1970's convertible at a yard sale about 25 years ago and it's still running strong - even though I have it wired with a thumb pressure switch to kick in an extra set of windings that's really only meant for using the machine with the belt removed and an attachment to clean upholstery.

of course that's back in the day when hoovers were built in canton ohio.

why is it we perfect something and then just let it go ?

now hoovers are crap too... been that way for quite some time.

save for a few of the hardened motor parts my hoover would literally chew up an entire dyson to small plastic pieces with it's beater bar and then go back to cleaning carpets - would take awhile but it would do it... dysons are crap - show me one of those plastic piles of poop 40 years from now that's never been out of service and is still running strong and then i'll eat my words - don't hold your breath...

gvasale
10-10-2012, 08:48 AM
In praise of Hoover, I have a Dial -a-matic that I got new in the early 1970s. Still runs today. Once however, it did throw a commutator strip and needed a new armature for the motor. Today, most things are made for a price point and that's all.

aboard_epsilon
10-10-2012, 09:03 AM
if dyson made a bike it would be all plastic ..would be a chuck away model like his other ideas.
once it warmed up it would become very flexible and handling go to pot,
would handle like a super market trolley.
it would become brittle after two years and gradually fall apart.

all the best.markj

jep24601
10-10-2012, 09:09 AM
before a vacuum became a vacuum its how people used to clean rugs, hang em and whoop upside of em with a broom handle, you do that and add a vacuum and sweeper brushes and now you got something,

Not very good for making your carpet last.

No wonder if you beat them with a broom handle! My mom used to hang the carpet on the washing line and then have us kids beat with a CARPET BEATER. I'll never foget the incredible amounts of choking dust that came out of that carpet.]
http://www.google.com/search?q=carpet+beater&hl=en&tbo=d&biw=1280&bih=800&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=zHN1UJvwGqa3ywG_y4DwCA&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574716523&toolid=10001&campid=5336036902&customid=Saturday+Evening+Post+1940&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%2Fitems%2F__saturd ay-evening-post-may-11-1940_W0QQLHQ5fIncludeSIFZ1QQ_dmptZMagazinesQQ_flnZ 1QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em283

Barrington
10-10-2012, 09:23 AM
Has anyone ever seen a professional cleaner using a Dyson ????

Cheers

goose
10-10-2012, 11:05 AM
In praise of Hoover, I have a Dial -a-matic that I got new in the early 1970s.

ooh, yuck, gross........vacuums from the 1970's? Ever heard of HEPA filters? Like if you want a heavy thing that makes alot of noise and blows dust mite fecal matter all over your house, older indeed is better. But yuck, gross, blah.....choke....gag.....!

A.K. Boomer
10-10-2012, 01:20 PM
you can get upgraded filter bags - even ones that have baking soda impregnated in them,

hey - it "beats" just leaving the dust mite fecal matter on the floor and spreading it around to a new area...

aboard_epsilon
10-10-2012, 01:37 PM
I don't want to defend dyson..

but they do have optional heads for the vacuums that have a turbine fan powered beating bar...that goes on the optional hose attachment kits.

that's also an option on a lot of other machines.

same as this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VACUUM-TURBO-POWER-HEAD-FOR-STAIRS-PET-HAIR-UPRIGHT-VAC-/170917744693?pt=UK_Vacuum_Cleaner_Bags_Parts&hash=item27cb7dd035

all the best.markj

adatesman
10-10-2012, 01:50 PM
Was hoping this would come back to the bike by now, but oddly we're still talking vacuums. Anyway, Google turned up a link about the bike: http://www.psfk.com/2012/09/electric-motorcycle-spherical-wheels.html

A.K. Boomer
10-10-2012, 01:55 PM
I know but their just so light - they end up vibrating themselves to death,
one of my dads old tricks was to put a quarter on the floor in front of the machine and then turn it on,
it would dance a good half inch into the air and almost seem to never touch down...

then they came out with the newer hoovers made of plastic - they still had a beater bar but you would then have to use a penny or a dime to come close to the same effect...

Doozer
10-10-2012, 05:13 PM
On the Dysan topic... Just wanted to say I saw their "Blade-less" Fan in the store and it is a JOKE.
It does have blades, the are just inside where you can't see them. A regular "muffin" (computer) fan.
I think it was $250 or some insane amount. What a scam. Gimme a GE 12" fan from the 1950's
and I think none better have been made.

By the way,,, My bike kicks the ass of the Dyson bike!!!!
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i169/kooldoozer/SDC10534.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i169/kooldoozer/SDC10533.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i169/kooldoozer/SDC10518.jpg

--Doozer

gvasale
10-10-2012, 08:35 PM
Gimme a break with the dust mite crap. I'm the 3rd generation of this family to live here. Maternal grandmother & mother lived to be 87+ years. There are bigger problems in life that to have dust mites in a 100 year old house. No one in our family has had asthma either. Plus, my wife smokes and I don't so she's giving them the old nicotine insecticide treatment at least 10 times a day.;):cool:

michigan doug
10-10-2012, 09:28 PM
Mr doozer, that is quite a head light on that bike. Is that stock???

I was listening to a podcast from Jack spirco and paul wheaton (of permaculture fame, he's kind of a dick, but anyway) at some point they were talking about some miracle product or another, and Jack asks Paul if the product actually does the amazing thing. "No, that's just MARKETING. It doesn't MEAN anything..."

Of course, the marketing people have always liked to stretch the truth just a bit, but lately they are really taking liberties.

Dyson is really good at marketing. That's about where the magic runs out.

Finest regards,

troy

A.K. Boomer
10-11-2012, 08:57 AM
hmmm, in that respect marketing sounds allot like politics :)