PDA

View Full Version : looking for collet ideas

Mike Amick
10-11-2012, 02:29 AM
I have a Cincinnati toolmaster mill with monoset collets. I was used to a
MT3 with drawbar ... and am really starting to dislike the collets .. it just seems
to take forever to change collets. And I really hate it when I only want to put an
indicator in for hole centering or whatever. I was thinking about finding an extra
collet nut .. and milling it down to where there is only a few threads ... that way
when I am doing work that doesn't require strength .. I can screw my quick nut
on real quick. Any Cincinati junk boxes out there (for a nut) ? .. or even better
an alternative for my monosets.

I see where I can buy monoset adapters that take MT and others .. but .. I don't
see how a MT or something similar would stay in without a drawbar.

Jaakko Fagerlund
10-11-2012, 04:08 AM
I don't understand how a Morse taper is better than ANY collet system, but to help you, I would look in to getting ER collets. They don't need to be unscrewed totally off, just loose to change a tool, unless you need to change the size of the collet.

Gunsmithing
10-11-2012, 10:46 AM
Morse taper is a good collet and a draw bar can be made.
The are two thing about morse I see is draw back in very few sizes and the draw bar use 1/2 threar that keep to small size rod in the head stock.
I use both 3C and 5C collets they both work with inside spinlde tapers and does not use the chuck mount.

Dave

Jaakko Fagerlund
10-11-2012, 02:30 PM
Okay, educate/humor me: What is so good about Morse taper collets? Morse taper doesn't let go like other collets do (ER, R8, 5C etc.)

Mcgyver
10-11-2012, 04:37 PM
I see where I can buy monoset adapters that take MT and others .. but .. I don't
see how a MT or something similar would stay in without a drawbar.

I don't think it will either....those adapters are for taper shank drills. lateral loads on a MT without drawbar can make it come loose.

I think I'd avoid a mill with a MT spindle, tooling is less common would be the main reason and its not a self releasing taper. otoh, Its big area of taper, probably capable of taking some real torque.

Nicest imo is the quick release 30 or 40 taper spindles....I know of some Do-All mills with them (now that is nice mill).

Sorry, no great suggestsions......ultimately if its that big a problem the solution is a new mill (or head)

Mike Amick
10-11-2012, 05:54 PM
First off .. sorry for the duplicate thread. I wrote this last night and when I tried to post it .. the
site appeared to be down ( not uncommon for this site ) .. and when I checked later the
thread wasn't there.

Anyways .. I am not saying that the MT machine was superior .. just that I could change MT
tooling pretty quick in comparison.

I would love a quick release system .. but .. its not going to happen on this machine ..

I appreciate the info about the adapters .. that makes perfect sense that its for drills .. with
no lateral pressure.

I still think my best bet is a short nut for just indicator use ... as someone on the other thread
suggested .. I should just bite the bullet and try to make one ..

thanks though guys ..