PDA

View Full Version : Bicycle Trailer Rack Mod

panofish
10-12-2012, 01:13 AM
This was a relatively simple but neat machining operation to modify an off the shelf bike rack, so that I could attach it to my trailer tongue.

Here's a 3 minute video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksukKW-qiDQ

strokersix
10-12-2012, 11:11 AM
My worst machine shop injury is vertical bandsaw related. Still have my finger thankfully. Please be careful with that exposed blade.

michigan doug
10-12-2012, 11:58 AM
Nice adaptation. I would have been tempted to weld the top tube/bottom tube assembly.

What cad? program is that?

Thanks,

doug

panofish
10-12-2012, 12:53 PM
My worst machine shop injury is vertical bandsaw related. Still have my finger thankfully. Please be careful with that exposed blade.

Good advice... you can never be complacent about where the danger is and where your hands and feet are at all times.

Another factor I also think about is how I am applying force and where would my hands go if something should slip.
So there is a safety advantage when using weight to pull the bar versus your hands to push the bar.

panofish
10-12-2012, 12:54 PM
Nice adaptation. I would have been tempted to weld the top tube/bottom tube assembly.

What cad? program is that?

Thanks,

doug

Google Sketchup. Very commonly used in the woodworker community. Free and super easy to learn and use.

winchman
10-12-2012, 01:54 PM
I would have drilled a couple holes near the ends of both tubes. Then I'd have cut four pieces of flat bar, and drilled holes in one end of two pieces. I'd have plug welded the flat bars into the upper tube using the previously drilled holes. The four flat bars would fit inside the lower tube, and I'd insert a bolt through the tube to hold the assembly together.

That would have taken about half an hour, and it would have cost a small fraction of what that nice piece of aluminum set you back.

panofish
10-12-2012, 02:23 PM
I would have drilled a couple holes near the ends of both tubes. Then I'd have cut four pieces of flat bar, and drilled holes in one end of two pieces. I'd have plug welded the flat bars into the upper tube using the previously drilled holes. The four flat bars would fit inside the lower tube, and I'd insert a bolt through the tube to hold the assembly together.

That would have taken about half an hour, and it would have cost a small fraction of what that nice piece of aluminum set you back.

Good idea... where were you when I started the project :)
Actually the top and bottom bars were not the same size, but your idea could still be applied with a little tweaking.
Thanks!