PDA

View Full Version : Myford lathe on CL

winchman
10-13-2012, 03:03 PM
http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/tls/3335380763.html

Looks nice, but is it pricey?

uncle pete
10-13-2012, 03:16 PM
If it's condition is almost new and matches the pictures, (Bed wear, feed and lead screws) And there hasn't been any major crashes, then the price seems to match up to around what a comparable machine sells for in the U.K. That one has a lot of tooling also. It's not a steal, but overall the price isn't too bad. I wouldn't think there's all that many Myfords in that area. The brand new price for that lathe with the same options and little more than a single 3 jaw just before Myfords closed down was well over $15,000.

Pete

loose nut
10-13-2012, 05:46 PM
Which explains why they closed down.:eek:

uncle pete
10-13-2012, 06:41 PM
Loose Nut,
LOL, Pretty much. But my 15 grand was a bit on the conservative low ball end, and it didn't include that real high priced shipping either. There was a brand new NOS still in the crate Super 7 from 1987? on Ebay in the U.S. a few months ago. $20,000 BIN price, and it had less tooling. Myfords sure have a cult following. Just my opinion, but there's a hell of a lot of brand new, larger, and probably at least as accurate industrial lathes I'd sure be looking at first if I had 20 large burning a hole.:confused:

But I think the one in the the OP's add is most likely worth the asking price if it fits his shop and parts size. A comparable Chinese build one tooled with the same brands as that Myford comes with, and bought new would be more.

Pete

RussZHC
10-13-2012, 09:27 PM
Certainly ball park judging by what is up on Tony's site at the moment...IIRC Bell Machinery in BC had one months ago, forgotten the price think it was higher partially IMO because at the time they were also selling new models...tooling can swing the value all over the place...Bell lists a new Pratt chuck for such a Myford at nearly $900 Cdn so...

loose nut
10-14-2012, 04:52 PM
$20,000 BIN price, and it had less tooling.

For that Sir John could buy himself a brand new Bridgeport with some extras.