PDA

View Full Version : What Europe is doing about economic growth

Dr Stan
10-13-2012, 03:16 PM
Europe's New Industrial Policy Targets Manufacturing To Spur Economic Turnaround

By Richard A. McCormack
editor@manufacturingnews.com

The European Commission has issued an official "Industrial Policy" aimed at boosting the competitiveness and output of its manufacturing sector. The Commission says that Europe must increase the share of manufacturing to 20 percent of GDP by 2020, up from 16 percent today. The reason: a stronger manufacturing sector will enable "growth and economic recovery," says the EC's "Industrial Policy," issued on October 10 in Brussels.

The complete article is at: http://www.manufacturingnews.com/news/ecindustrialpolicy1012121.html

Juergenwt
10-13-2012, 03:35 PM
I believe there is to much money made by the Importers of manufactured goods and to much money being used to lobby Washington. So don't look for any big push to support manufacturing in the US soon.

ptjw7uk
10-13-2012, 06:21 PM
Only thing Europe is doing to increase production is to make more money printing machines!!

peter

aboard_epsilon
10-13-2012, 07:03 PM
Europe will soon have in place so many regulations ,that no industry can exist.

Soon (it's happening now) no one will be able to work without a pocket full of work certificates that cost 1500 each and have to be renewed every five years.

The fuels so expensive people are turning down jobs that are more than 10 miles away.

The polish here are taking all the jobs..they are willing to work hard for peanuts...because of this, the minimum wage is spreading to "all" jobs..skilled jobs included.

The polish in the UK ,live in sheds and garages or flats 5 to a room ..and send the minimum wage money back home to Poland , where the cost of living is a lot cheaper.

The way the cost of living is going up here ..soon (this is also happening now) the average man supporting a average family will have to work 100 hours a week on his minimum wage.

if it carries on everything will collapse .

In the words of Johnny Rotten ...no future ..no future ...no future ..no future ...no future ..no future ...no future ..no future ...no future ..no future ..FOR YOU !

All the best.markj

mike4
10-13-2012, 08:08 PM
Europe will soon have in place so many regulations ,that no industry can exist.

Soon (it's happening now) no one will be able to work without a pocket full of work certificates that cost 1500 each and have to be renewed every five years.

The fuels so expensive people are turning down jobs that are more than 10 miles away.

The polish here are taking all the jobs..they are willing to work hard for peanuts...because of this, the minimum wage is spreading to "all" jobs..skilled jobs included.

The polish in the UK ,live in sheds and garages or flats 5 to a room ..and send the minimum wage money back home to Poland , where the cost of living is a lot cheaper.

The way the cost of living is going up here ..soon (this is also happening now) the average man supporting a average family will have to work 100 hours a week on his minimum wage.

if it carries on everything will collapse .

In the words of Johnny Rotten ...no future ..no future ...no future ..no future ...no future ..no future ...no future ..no future ...no future ..no future ..FOR YOU !

All the best.markj

People complain about the rising cost of living , but they wont work for normal wages eight hours a day , they want high wages , all benefits , superannuation, holidays paid by their employer .

The result is higher cost of production for whatever they make or provide.

My solution is to work longer myself , have NO staff and actually make some money for myself , rather than working my butt off to provide a lifestyle for employees.

Michael

Dr Stan
10-13-2012, 08:32 PM
To all the nay sayers: Tell me how Germany came out of the latest recession after adsorbing the costs of reunification, regulations equal to or greater than any other industrialized country, some of the highest wages in Europe, strong unions/guilds with high membership rates, bank rolling the bailout of the rest of Europe, etc?

The answer is simple, Germany concentrated its economic efforts on exporting manufactured goods, especially high tech & high value goods and came out of the recession second only to China in the amount of exports. The big difference is the German politicians and the business leaders understand they have a moral & ethical duty to not just the stockholders, but to all the stakeholders especially the hourly employees.

Instead of just moaning & groaning the collective WE must not just throw our hands up in the air and go "woe is me". Instead we need to act in ways that support manufacturing and that does not mean some knee jerk reactions like eliminating regulations, unions, or any other easy scapegoat. When was the last time you, yes you, made sure you bought a product that was made in your home country?

Not too long ago I needed a new spool of welding wire. The clerk brought out some from China. I made him go back to the storeroom and find me a spool of US made wire. I'm certain he knew I was going down the street to his competitor if he did not have what I wanted. If more of us practice economic patriotism we can make progress in this area. In my mind patriotism is more, much more than waving a flag and grunting some stupid chant.

oldtiffie
10-13-2012, 09:22 PM
Of course, you could always try to throw up a whacking tall import tarriff wall - if you could get away with it in this globally-traded (and to some extent) "globalised" world we live in.

The net result would be that if the tarriff on imports were steep enough, people - assuming they had the money - would be forced to buy "Made in USA" goods and services until their price rose to just below the cost of imported goods. At that point people would stop buying altogether so far as they were able and a Trade War or Tarriff contest would start and nobody would be any better off.

mike4
10-13-2012, 10:08 PM
Some products are no longer manufactured as the makers could not survive the flood of cheap imports.

I would like to know how it is possible to ship a product halfway around the world and then be able to sell it cheaper than a locally made higher quality one.

When you look at the over the top freight costs which smaller players are made pay for items to be shipped the same distance , it seems to me to be a very corrupt system.

The same applies to the supply system which all countries seem to use , if you buy a 100k shipment of a bearing then you get it at almost production cost yet the little order of 2 gets hit for a 60% markup.

There is less handling or packing cost involved for the two than there is for the large quantity.

I would like to see someone given the power and access to investigate this , the present systems allow the larger corporations to do as they please and governments wont tackle them .

Microsoft is a good example , their software leaves a lot to be desired and has a lot of inbuilt faults , try to buy a working alternative off the shelf at any computer store.

Choice no longer exists .

Michael

wierdscience
10-13-2012, 11:43 PM
According to this article Germany isn't in such good shape-
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/27/us-germany-unemployment-idUSBRE88Q0CT20120927

Also see one of the reasons for some of the success-

"The strength of Germany's labor market, a product of structural reforms undertaken in the mid-2000s and years of wage restraint, has been fundamental in fuelling domestic demand. It has prompted many to herald the "German job miracle".

oldtiffie
10-14-2012, 01:08 AM
I can't fault the several German items/tools that I've bought and though they are expensive I've been quite happy to pay the premium.

Further, I've found that their support here is excellent