X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sasquatch
    • May 2006

7 inch shaper oddity

Been cleaning out a deceased friends shop and came across a 7inch shaper with basicly no ID on it, the odd part of this it is variable speed, has a crank handle down on the front to adjust the speed.

Anyone have an idea what make this thing could be? Thanks.
  • Bill Pace
    • Jul 2005

Like this maybe ---- Porter Cable, but it had the name prominently cast in the side - it later became Logan

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

any pictures?

Comment

• sasquatch
        • May 2006

Bill Pace guessed it, thanks Bill!

Your'e pic appears to have "Porter Cable" cast into the side,, this one only has "7inch Shaper" cast there.
        I,m going back there again tommorrow will see if i can find anything else on it, it is difficult right now to get right up to it as this guy was a real "Pack Rat", and believe me this shop is FULL!!
        Your'e pic sure looks like it!!

Comment

• rmw
          • Jul 2008

Could also be a Brodhead Garrett. I had one and don't think it had any casting ID name. It was the Logan design, later sold mainly to schools, etc. they made 7" & 8" shapers.
          HTH,
          Greg

Comment

• sasquatch
            • May 2006

Thanks rmw, i just went to the UK lathe site and good pic of this shaper, and yes you are right it was later Porter Cable Then Broadhead Garret. So this appears to be an Early Logan.

Comment

• mickeyf
              • Aug 2010

Yes, I have an 8" Logan with the same variable speed set up.
              "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Working...
              X