PDA

View Full Version : Onan/cummins gas generator who makes their engines now?

Robo
10-15-2012, 09:23 PM
I'm wondering who is making the gas engines for onan generators? They of course don't want to give up the information but I've got one that needs a new engine. It happens to be 14 hp. I know its off topic but usually somebody here has te answer to just about anything :)

flylo
10-15-2012, 09:42 PM
Not sure which one you have but I saw new ones & they are marked made in china. Never thought I'd see that.

macona
10-15-2012, 09:44 PM
Do you have a pic of the engine?

flylo
10-15-2012, 09:57 PM
I know where you can get a 4K Emerald for $200. It's not mine. Looks good but I haven't seen it run, so you'd be buying it for parts & maybe get lucky. PM me if interested & I'll see if he still has it.

Robo
10-15-2012, 10:04 PM
The model number is I believe is A026M568

here is what I believe to be the proper engine

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONAN-5500-or-7000-commercial-or-RV-generator-engine-motor-A026M568-/180982255254?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Acc essories&hash=item2a23620e96&vxp=mtr

Robo
10-15-2012, 10:10 PM
I think I'm going to to try repowering the generator or get a new generator all together. Its in an underground sewer camera truck at work....needless to say its not even my money but I'm not happy with the cost of another Onan/cummins or the fact that they don't seem to want to entertain selling me a new engine for it.

justanengineer
10-16-2012, 09:01 AM
In that small of a size range, I believe youre already dealing with a Chinese made Cummins, in which case there is likely other colors/names on the same engine elsewhere if you look around. I would simply suggest adapting any engine of the appropriate size/speed to work. Another simple answer but not likely helpful, Onan packages their generators onto many different manufacturers' engines. At the small end its typically Cummins based upon price alone. On the large end it varies quite a bit with Cummins being the minority I see.

Guido
10-16-2012, 01:35 PM
Onan at one time was---------then Cummins was, at one time---------Honda gen/sets in the 4 to 6 KW range have become users' choice over the past 10 to 12 years--------Reasons include quality, service, dealer attitude-------- and not in that order.

Laval people, Fresno manufacturers of video equipment for downhole surveys, compared Honda gensets to others saying 'Honda, hands down the best for the money'.

In answer to OP's question, visit the largest RV dealer in your area. If they can't answer your questions and supply the goods, go to the second largest dealer in your area.

--G

Robo
10-16-2012, 08:04 PM
Its kind of interesting the way the engine sits on its side in the generator enclosure. I'm really struggling with another onan/cummins generator I would like to get something else as this one has been a PITA over the last year or so.