PDA

View Full Version : laser cutting felt

gizmo2
10-17-2012, 12:08 AM
I needed some felt wipers for the Tinker tool and cutter grinder, so took a sheet of 1/4" medium felt to work. Didn't know how to run it, or even if it would work, and the booklet didn't give us any clues. Also, had to guess how much would be 'consumed' in the kerf. As the goal is to have a snug fit on the 7/8" diameter shaft, it took a few tries to get a decent product. Cut to the chase; with a 120 watt laser, we used a feed of 57%, power 45%, pulse rate 800, cut in two passes with a refocus on the second cut, with .840" i.d. on the layout. The smell is beyond horrible... but the donuts turned out great!

macona
10-17-2012, 12:16 AM
You think that is bad try leather. Ewww...

CCWKen
10-17-2012, 12:43 AM
If it was real felt, you were burning hair. About the same stench as burning leather, skin or any protein based object.

Lew Hartswick
10-17-2012, 09:08 AM
The smell is beyond horrible... but the donuts turned out great!

I knew when I read the title of this thread that someone would have beaten
me to that subject. :-)
...lew...

gizmo2
10-17-2012, 09:15 AM
The smell is the point of the post really. If you go into a shop to get this done, you will wear out your welcome in a hurry. So the numbers might help you get the product you need before they throw you out and ask you to never return... Also, real felt isn't exactly cheap, so best to have an idea where to start!

duckman
10-17-2012, 11:50 AM
Why did you not just make tubular cutters, make 1 for the out side cut your circle , make 1 for the in side make your cut there's your donut . For the out side piece of tubing with long taper on out side, for the inside piece of tubing with long taper on in side your done.

Weekend_Scientist
10-17-2012, 02:06 PM
Why did you not just make tubular cutters, make 1 for the out side cut your circle , make 1 for the in side make your cut there's your donut . For the out side piece of tubing with long taper on out side, for the inside piece of tubing with long taper on in side your done.

Hi Duckman,

The OP said he wanted a snug fit for his felt parts. The nice thing about using a laser to do the job is you can cut out a few parts, try them and then if you need to, change the dimensions slightly and try again. There is very little time invested in doing so--especially for simple shapes like a circle inside a circle.

In the amount of time needed to make the first set of tubular cutters one could make a lot of laser cut parts to test slightly different diameters. And, the laser takes care of things like alligning the inside and outside holes--something else that would take either a special jig or more effort to do by hand.

As an aside, maybe we should start a thread for the worst smelling laserable material. :-) Leather is pretty aweful, I've never had the occasion to try felt. Anyone brave enough to cut G-10 with their laser?