PDA

View Full Version : 9x45 Atlas lathe on CL ... worth it?

Krunch
10-19-2012, 10:06 AM
Hello, all,

I've been wanting to get a lathe for a long time and today saw one on CL for $600:

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/tls/3349657477.html

I know you can't tell much from a few words and pictures, but if this lathe is in decent shape, is $600 a decent price?

I have never used a lathe, so I am at a definite disadvantage in buying used equipment. What kinds of things should I look at to assess the quality of a used lathe?

Thanks for any advice.

flylo
10-19-2012, 11:21 AM
Here's a link that tells about it. http://www.lathes.co.uk/atlas/page2.html It doesn't have power cross feed like the 10". But if it's in great condition & you're in an area where small lathes don't sell often it's probably worth it. I would take $400 & see. Here it would sell for about 1/2 that. A 12" with full tooling just went for $450. As far as checking it over make sure everthing works properly & there is no excessive wear & the headstock is tight. Just like checking any euipment, look for wear. Good Luck!

Mcgyver
10-19-2012, 12:04 PM
Here's a link that tells about it. http://www.lathes.co.uk/atlas/page2.html It doesn't have power cross feed like the 10". But if it's in great condition & you're in an area where small lathes don't sell often it's probably worth it. I would take $400 & see. Here it would sell for about 1/2 that. A 12" with full tooling just went for $450.

maybe. big lathes don't necessarily sell for more than small and someone wanting a 12" might have no time for that brand. What they're worth can vary by magnitudes based on condition which means you need to see it.

I'd say there's a good chance its in good shape, just based on the impression that it appears well cared for.

my preference is something heavier but throw in an offer if that lathe suits you, 1) you don't have to own it forever and 2) without a lathe, times a wastin.... as the Newf's say with their great accents "you're dead a long time" :)

rode2rouen
10-19-2012, 03:40 PM
I recently sold a 10" Atlas..........fun little machine, it made many times its weight in chips while I owned it.
The one thing I would hold out for is a quick change gearbox for threading. Just sayin'.

Rex

Krunch
10-19-2012, 03:51 PM
Hmmm...maybe I'll hold off for something a little better. I don't want to make the same mistake I made when I bought an old Craftsman lathe and then discovered that I needed a chuck that would cost more than I paid for the lathe...

Thank you all for the replies.

oxford
10-19-2012, 06:01 PM
That is probably the price I would see that lathe listed for on the local CL here(NE, PA). It might not be the ideal lathe but you would probably get most of your money back when something better popped up. If you are not in a hurry, I would probably hold out for something else.

sasquatch
10-19-2012, 06:07 PM
Around this area that is about right for a lathe like that.

flylo
10-19-2012, 08:48 PM
But if you need a lathe it would be a start & you can always up grade & recoup your money. I'd still try $400.

Tony Ennis
10-19-2012, 10:26 PM
Assuming the lathe is in good shape, that price would be fair, if maybe on the higher side. It looks well cared for; these lathes have delicate handles and doodads which are frequently broken. The lathe seems to have been painted recently but doesn't look like the typical 'Sherwin Williams' paint job. The bench is worth something too; you'll have to build or buy one.

The quick change gear box would be a nice addition but that would add to the price.

If you're going to use that lathe, be prepared to spend another few hundred dollars on tooling. You might want a 3-jaw chuck or a quick-change tool post at the very least. This is why sometimes an inexpensive lathe really isn't inexpensive.

My biggest concern would be with the spindle bearings. That lathe may have Babbitt bearings. They're great if they've been oiled.

All that being said, if you had that lathe, you'd be making chips.

Perhaps there's a more experienced local HSMer who will look at it with you.