PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Machine Guard

HAP
10-19-2012, 05:54 PM
Here is a post submitted in another forum where I made a guard for my Grizzly tool grinder...
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170645

kendall
10-20-2012, 03:27 PM
I like it, good re-use, and a very effective guard.

I use old pans as the starting point for a variety of things. The original oval air filter on my 77 sportster was always uncomfortable, smaller ones were more than I wanted to spend, so made one using a hammer formed back plate, an old aluminum sauce pan and a 6" air filter for a lawn tractor. I sanded off the original color on the outside and polished it, but left the teflon inside. Looks good, have had many people ask where they could buy one.

One of my normal first steps in a project is to grab a tape measure and make rounds of the local second hand shops to see if there are any ready-made components that can be adapted.

HAP
10-20-2012, 08:31 PM
Kendall, thanks for your coments. I too like to adapt/modify especially using things you have saved just in case... :-)

Abaker
10-21-2012, 09:41 AM
I like reusing as well - keeps otherwise useful things out of the scrap pile. Pots and pans are a good source of material for all kinds of shop projects.

Another good source of inexpensive cookware is Tuesday Morning. They usually have something that makes me go Hmm... That's the source of the pan under the vice below. Unlike Mr. HAP's work, this is more of an ugly hack it up, get it done, get back to milling kind of job. Not pretty, but it works.

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj589/AndrewShawnBaker/Cinci%202MH/OilCatchPan.jpg

Was kind of comical first time I tried milling with the coolant - the chips dammed up the drainage channel on the vice and cutting oil went pretty much everywhere but down the table drain.

mickeyf
10-21-2012, 07:36 PM
Great idea - you are a scavenger after my own heart. I would also have left the handles on. They give it a certain "je ne sais quoi."

Bob Fisher
10-21-2012, 10:01 PM
WAY! WAY! too clean! Do you ever use the belt and/ or disc? Nice guard tho, and a nice machine as well. Looks like a Jet belt sander tensioningmarrangement .Bob.

J Tiers
10-21-2012, 10:38 PM
I like it.

I admit I don't particularly prefer the type of guard with a taper like that, where the wheel bits can slide out sideways..... I prefer ones that at least offer some hope of trapping the larger pieces..... a rim or straight sided guard. But that shape of guard you have is quite common, and should keep down the pieces flying out in the plane of the wheel.