PDA

View Full Version : WW2 Tank overhaul

mike4
10-20-2012, 03:38 AM
I watched this video quite a while ago and found it very interesting .
Do any of the US members in California know how to contact the guys who did the work as Jaques has passed on .
I have been asked by a friend to try to source some parts and bearings for a WW2 machine that he is currently restoring.

And before anyone blasts this as being off topic there will be about four weeks machining , eg gear making and some replacement of unavailable castings with steel fabricated items and then machine those to fit , and the only money to change hands will be for any iitems which cant be made like bearings.

It is a project dedicated to the memory of the servicemen who used the original machines during the war to construct airfields and the like .

Michael

lazlo
10-20-2012, 04:19 AM
Sorry I can't help with a contact, but I loved that show. I wish it was longer! For some reason, the Military Channel is not broadcast in high def, but the Tank Overhaul shows were filmed in high def, and occasionally available on video on demand - they're spectacular!

The video of the British team (on a shoe-string budget!) welding two halves of two different Sherman tanks together was simply amazing! And like you say, there's a ton of machining content in the shows.

alanganes
10-20-2012, 08:01 AM
If you are looking for parts or other restoration info, perhaps these guys can offer some info:

http://www.site.ww2mv.com/

No connection to me, I've seen them doing demos and displays at various events around here. They seem to be in the business of restoring those sorts of things. Very neat business to be in, in my view. I have spoken to a couple of guys from that place and they seem like very nice folks but beyond what you see on that website, I know nothing else about them.

And as an aside, I don't see much likelihood of you getting blasted for an off topic post. Seems you have spent more than enough time around this board to know that one has to stray pretty far indeed to be deemed truly "off topic!" Plenty of metal in a tank, after all.

SteveF
10-20-2012, 08:06 AM
Have you tried just sending them an email?

http://mvtf.org/contact.html

Steve

justanengineer
10-20-2012, 11:08 AM
You might consider contacting these fellas. They have a collection of very rare armor among other vehicles, and may have a few spares to sell/trade. I dont recall the exact story, but I believe they have another location out on the west coast US, as I believe they still rent vehicles to Hollywood.
www.ropkeyarmormuseum.com/

I used to attend a lot of mvpa shows here stateside when I was younger and its probably the biggest club in the country for military vehicles, in case you werent aware. There was a man named Frank Buck who was a semi truck dealer with several locations and attended many/most of the meets. I could be mistaken, but I believe he had the largest armor (or vehicle?) collection in the US in the 90s, with several mechanics who worked full time for him. Very nice guy and may be worth tracking down if this is a serious effort.
www.mvpa.org

Guido
10-20-2012, 12:23 PM
http://www.barstowtruckparts.com/about.htm

Barstow, California truck and equipment salvage yards, no if's and's or but's. Family owned since 1947 handling 99% of salvage from Fort Irwin.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/21249-new-m35a2-barstow-yesterday.html

Either of these sources should be helpful. Good luck.

--G

mike4
10-20-2012, 10:01 PM
Thank to all who replied ,I now have somewhere to start what could be a four to six year project for my section of the work and the overall effort will keep about six people's spare time very well filled for about the same .
Michael

oldtiffie
10-21-2012, 01:53 AM
I watched this video quite a while ago and found it very interesting .
Do any of the US members in California know how to contact the guys who did the work as Jaques has passed on .
I have been asked by a friend to try to source some parts and bearings for a WW2 machine that he is currently restoring.

And before anyone blasts this as being off topic there will be about four weeks machining , eg gear making and some replacement of unavailable castings with steel fabricated items and then machine those to fit , and the only money to change hands will be for any iitems which cant be made like bearings.

It is a project dedicated to the memory of the servicemen who used the original machines during the war to construct airfields and the like .

Michael

Michael.

No video.

Can you re-post please?

mike4
10-21-2012, 02:34 AM
Tiffie,
I didnt put a link in my first post as there are some members with limited bandwidth who may have had problems accessing it .
Just go to Youtube and type WW2 Tank overhaul in to the search area and its presently there in five parts.
There are a lot of very interesting videos of how very dedicated people have managed to rebuilt seemingly totaled machines with a bit of skill and a LOT of cash.
I am not charging any labour shop time , just cost of any items which are purchased like bearings , the steel is mostly donated from various shops etc .
Michael

tlfamm
01-16-2013, 12:25 PM
A recent switch in cable providers gave me bundled access to the Military Channel; the Tank Overhaul series is very interesting.

Some (many?) episodes can be seen here:

http://www.ovguide.com/tv/tank_overhaul.htm

oddball racing
01-18-2013, 11:39 AM
If you are looking for parts or other restoration info, perhaps these guys can offer some info:

http://www.site.ww2mv.com/

No connection to me, I've seen them doing demos and displays at various events around here. They seem to be in the business of restoring those sorts of things. Very neat business to be in, in my view. I have spoken to a couple of guys from that place and they seem like very nice folks but beyond what you see on that website, I know nothing else about them.

And as an aside, I don't see much likelihood of you getting blasted for an off topic post. Seems you have spent more than enough time around this board to know that one has to stray pretty far indeed to be deemed truly "off topic!" Plenty of metal in a tank, after all.

Although I see the OP's post is two years old, I don't know if you ever solved your issue. As to the facility in the link, I have a friend who works there. What EXACTLY are you in need of? PM me if you must. I will have him pass it on to his boss to see if he can help you.