PDA

View Full Version : pig mat is great but expensive. What do you use for spills?

rmuell01
10-20-2012, 06:40 PM
Pib mat soaks up spills of any kind that I've made so far. I got mine from eastwood for $27 15"X50' and there are a few other places that sell it.

I use it on my worktable and as a mat for my feet.

Wondering if any here use pig mat or if they've found a cheaper alternative.

Rob

Doozer
10-20-2012, 11:52 PM
Sawdust or cat litter.

-Doozer

vpt
10-21-2012, 08:41 AM
Shop vac.

If its a flammable spill I use paper towel or old dirty rag and throw it in the furnace.

Rosco-P
10-21-2012, 09:52 AM
Pib mat soaks up spills of any kind that I've made so far. I got mine from eastwood for $27 15"X50' and there are a few other places that sell it.

I use it on my worktable and as a mat for my feet.

Wondering if any here use pig mat or if they've found a cheaper alternative.

Rob

Speedi-dry or any similar product. Rags or blue shop towels which are later disposed of.

I use rubber work mat on the floor where I stand. Why would you use a product intended for spill absorption instead?

rmuell01
10-21-2012, 10:37 AM
Speedi-dry or any similar product. Rags or blue shop towels which are later disposed of.

I use rubber work mat on the floor where I stand. Why would you use a product intended for spill absorption instead?

Pig mat does prevent a lot of tracking spills to other area especially the house. Speedi-dry or the others I've used, often with a brick to mix it up. Pig mat absorbs w/o any other steps involved.

I was watching 'Trucks' and they mentioned 'Scott's pro shop" towels so was wondering if any other products compared to Pig mat w/o the expense.

Rosco-P
10-21-2012, 10:58 AM
Pig mat does prevent a lot of tracking spills to other area especially the house. Speedi-dry or the others I've used, often with a brick to mix it up. Pig mat absorbs w/o any other steps involved.

I was watching 'Trucks' and they mentioned 'Scott's pro shop" towels so was wondering if any other products compared to Pig mat w/o the expense.

I don't get your issue. What's spilling all over the bench and on the floor? Is coolant spraying all over? Are you using ounces of cutting oil when a dab with a brush will do?
Changing into boots you wear only in the shop prevents tracking oil, swarf, etc. back into the house and onto the carpets.
The "blue towels" are the Scotts Shop Towels and of course Trucks! recommends them. They were probably given a tractor trailer load in exchange for the promotional endorsement.

Black_Moons
10-21-2012, 11:00 AM
I use paper towels to soak up spills. Then burn them in the burner barrel so they don't catch fire unexpectly if they are flamable substances. (Unless its just a few drops of motor oil, Note: MOTOR oil, Not 'drying oil based <paint/whatever> as 'drying' aka oxidising oils = heat buildup = spontanious fires)

Sometimes with a small (VERY RECENT) gas spill thats at least 1' away from anything that could burn, I'll just move the flamables away and set it on fire and open the garage door. (cement floor). Prevents fume buildup and saves on towels.