PDA

View Full Version : Is this how high to fill the gear box on a 4x6 bandsaw?

CMcmillan
10-21-2012, 11:04 PM
Just filled the gear box on my 4x6 bandsaw and was not sure if this is the correct fill or if there should be more. I was told to fill it until the oil reaches right below the edge which is where I have it but there is alot of the upper half of the gear box that is not filled. See photo....if I fill it any more it will be over flowing.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2yxetdd.jpg

I just noticed this too, it looks like the worm gear has a little bitty nick in it, is this a problem or is it too small that it shouldnt be a problem?

http://i47.tinypic.com/25gvyo4.jpg

v860rich
10-21-2012, 11:29 PM
That's the way I've filled my Wilton, and it's ran just fine for over 35 years. The oil gets slung around in there pretty good when in use, everything will get lubed.
I would not worry about the nick.

THANX RICH

CMcmillan
10-21-2012, 11:32 PM
Ok thanks for clearing that up. And thats a nice relief off my shoulders I was hoping that nick wouldnt be a problem. Everything checks out too. . .the only thing is some oil manages to get out very slightly from the bottom of the gearbox between the seal and the lid, not enough to drip but just enough to get the bottom part of the lid oily. One happy camper here- heading back in to get the blade adjusted now. Thanks

darryl
10-21-2012, 11:32 PM
I don't think that nick would even touch a tooth surface, so it's not going to have any effect on anything. As far as the oil, I would think that as long as the worm is at least partially submerged in oil at all times, it's going to be fine. If only the worm wheel is in oil, then there could be a part of the initial rotation where it runs more or less dry. I don't think I would operate it unless the area where the worm meets the wheel is always in oil.

How has the saw been working for you anyway?

CMcmillan
10-22-2012, 03:21 AM
I don't think that nick would even touch a tooth surface, so it's not going to have any effect on anything. As far as the oil, I would think that as long as the worm is at least partially submerged in oil at all times, it's going to be fine. If only the worm wheel is in oil, then there could be a part of the initial rotation where it runs more or less dry. I don't think I would operate it unless the area where the worm meets the wheel is always in oil.

How has the saw been working for you anyway?

It was my initial thinking the gearbox had to be completely filled with oil having no prior experience with these. But the bandsaw is workin great so far. No hiccups yet.

krutch
10-25-2012, 04:39 PM
Just chech the oil level from time to time. Maybe put a sight glass in the lid to make sure it doesn't go dry.