PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question...

ZINOM
10-23-2012, 03:28 PM
Can I use the torch tip that goes on my propane canister, on my mapp gas canister...or do they have different air mixing requirements?

I know that's very little info to go on, but if the answer is dead no, then no more info is required :)

I ask because the propane tip produces a fairly pointed flame while the mapp one is rough and blunt....I'd like to just switch 'em out and get a nice neat flame from the mapp.

Thanks all,

John

rohart
10-23-2012, 06:59 PM
I have two Surefire II torches, and I put them on propane canisters, MAPP canisters or a propane cylinger using a hose quite interchangeably.

So, I should have said, quick answer... Yes.

kwoodhands
10-23-2012, 07:03 PM
Yes, Bernsamatic torches that I have work on either Mapp or Propane.
mike

armedandsafe
10-24-2012, 01:45 AM
I've used both the new ones and the old ones (25+ years) on either with not noticeable difference in which fuel supply I've picked for that job.

Pops

ZINOM
10-24-2012, 09:26 AM
Wow!...thanks guys...I'm psyched to try it...it'd be nice to have a little more control for some jobs.

John

Doozer
10-24-2012, 11:06 AM
Methylacetylene propadiene has a wider stoichiometric range than propane,
so yes it will work fine.

--Doozer

Arcane
10-24-2012, 04:16 PM
From the interweb...
True MAPP gas (methylacetylene-propadiene propane. ) has not been in production in North America since the spring of 2008. Current products labeled ""MAPP" are in fact MAPP substitutes. These versions are stabilized liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) with high levels of propylene.

Boucher
10-25-2012, 09:02 PM
The manufactures sell conversion kits. I still have some that I ran across recently. They are a PITA to install. I tend to just buy the Mapp torches for portable. The Air Acetylene torch works better in the shop.