PDA

View Full Version : Shop Rates

BigJohnT
10-23-2012, 04:17 PM
What do you guys charge for by the hour work?

I've spent the last dozen or so years designing and making automation machinery so I'm a little out of touch of what hourly rates might be for general CNC machine shop work.

John

cuemaker
10-23-2012, 04:26 PM
When I have CNC lathe work done, I pay $70/hr

I provide drawings and material, every single time.

motorworks
10-23-2012, 04:26 PM
John
This has been 'hammer out' many times here...so a search may help...
Personally, in my shop I charge by the part, but keep track of time for future reference.
Now days I look for at least $75 - $ 150 per hour....(shops fixing cars get that or more in my area)...
That above rate does not include travel or evening/weekends,consumed tools etc, All extra.
Took me a while, but I learned that it's better to have a few good customers who will pay your rate on time i.e. 30 days or less....all others will waste your time and your money.
eddie

BigJohnT
10-23-2012, 04:30 PM
Thanks, I do get $100 per hour for PLC programming.

John

oldtiffie
10-23-2012, 06:40 PM
Some people (real/potential clients) don't like hourly rate charging as it is or can be seen to be too open-ended where the number of hours and cost seems to be unknown. Many prefer a fixed price or at least an indicative cost/price so that they can evaluate the final cost (quote) and for evaluation against other quotes/bids.

oldtiffie
10-23-2012, 06:42 PM
When I have CNC lathe work done, I pay $70/hr

I provide drawings and material, every single time.

Do you provide the DXF file or does the contractor have to develop in CAD for CNC use?

mike4
10-23-2012, 07:34 PM
Most are current customers with ongoing work around $100.00/ hour , quotes are given on some new work as neither myself or the customer want to be stuffed around.

If I think that the work isnt worth the potential time waste then i will politely tell the customer to go and get prices from others.
Michael

oldtiffie
10-23-2012, 07:52 PM
Most are current customers with ongoing work around $100.00/ hour , quotes are given on some new work as neither myself or the customer want to be stuffed around.

If I think that the work isnt worth the potential time waste then i will politely tell the customer to go and get prices from others.
Michael

Way to go Michael if the job cannot be estimated (fix/make as you go?) and you have a good business relationship with an established client.

BigJohnT
10-23-2012, 08:00 PM
Some people (real/potential clients) don't like hourly rate charging as it is or can be seen to be too open-ended where the number of hours and cost seems to be unknown. Many prefer a fixed price or at least an indicative cost/price so that they can evaluate the final cost (quote) and for evaluation against other quotes/bids.

I'm mostly using this for pricing for small jobs that find their way back into the woods to my shop. For example one part I was slotting it and by the hour with the CAM generated G code the slot would cost the customer $15, a little hand code optimization and now I can make the slot for $6 so yea I don't abuse the hourly rate at all but try and get a feel for what the part cost to make.

John

cuemaker
10-23-2012, 09:03 PM
I provide a print only (sometimes its a hand drawing).

I prefer the flat rate as it lets me estimate to my customer the potential cost quicker than waiting for the a quote from the machine shop.

As for material, my customers have very specific requirements (domestic, heat treated, ASTM xyz etc) and I pay less for steel than any machine shop.

outback
10-25-2012, 11:18 PM
My shop rate is $45 to $50/hr. Same rate for PLC programming, CNC machining,
CAD work, Wire EDM work. I should charge more I guess. I'm working from my garage so my overhead is very low. Most of my work is Time & Material.

I do prototype work, special tooling and I design & build automated cycle testers.
Small amount of production work.

While I'm busy the economy is not that great in Northern Illinois. I feel lucky to have work. To much work at times.

I retired from my day job after 30 years. I figure the shop is way better than
stocking shelves at Menards.

Jim

dp
10-26-2012, 01:45 AM
When I contract out I charge $125/hour for day to day work up to 2 weeks and discount after that. For extended contracts the rate drops to $75 min or what ever the customer will bear above that. I'm not a for-hire machinist, obviously. I'm retired but will work for desperate customers up to 90 days at a stretch. There's more work than I can do.

Edit: Just occurred to me that doesn't explain the 8 hour day (which are rare - more like 12 - 18 hours/day). I work like a doctor or dentist office in that I overlap work here and there and can actually work deep into double or more billing. I bill more than 8 hours in an 8 hour day kind of like flat rate billing. That covers me for out of sequence work or the occasional gratis job.