PDA

View Full Version : OT: Anyone actually get any help from the "Fixya" site?

J Tiers
10-26-2012, 08:31 AM
It's allegedly a site for getting DIY advice on things.

I have been trying to get the case of a Gateway 700G LCD monitor apart so I can fix the power supply. Gateway offers zero support, unlike Dell, which posts the service manuals with good disassembly info.

it was suggested to post on "Fixya", but all I got from there so far (a day or two) has been a couple references to worthless youtube vids of taking apart other brand units, and one person who told me that the case was held by plastic clips that had to be popped with a screwdriver or other similar item.

Considering that I mentioned having gotten all but the top edge apart THAT WAY in the original post, I thought that was remarkably deep reasoning..... My actual question was concerning the top edge which is really holding tight, and whether I should have started at a different point than the bottom edge where the screws are.

So, now the site is threatening to "close" the inquiry..... I guess if their members cant answer, they erase the evidence of ignorance to protect their "brand".... ;) I had already marked the three responses as "not helpful", which may have been the cause of the threat.....

Just wondering if anyone has ever gotten any actual positive helpful responses out of the site.

Dan Dubeau
10-26-2012, 09:37 AM
Just wondering if anyone has ever gotten any actual positive helpful responses out of the site.

Never really used it, but have stumbled on it, and read some answers on it, most recently dealing with auto repair. I found it, and most of the first 2 pages of a google search were the same questions, and answers, and non of them were very in depth, or particularly helpful. The best thing I've found is forums. There's a forum for EVERYTHING, and 9 times out of 10 somebody else has already had the problem you have, and most likely documented a pictorial walk though of how to fix it. The trick is trying to wade through the **** to get to that forum post. Anytime I have a problem I need a bit of help with I always search through forums first.

There's only a few forums I'm active on anymore, and most of the occupants on them have pretty similar interests as me, so even if I have a problem in a non related field, I can usually post up the question and get an answer no matter what forum it's on. Or I know of somebody from a forum who is in a particular field that could help me, but the forum content is totally unrelated, I'll send a PM to that person. Also because I "know" the person, I trust their answer a heck of a lot more than some anonymous post on some diy how to site.

So in short. Post it up here, I'm sure somebody on this forum has "been there, done that" and could advise.... My advice would be either a sawsall, or sledge hammer, but neither would work for your situation.... :)

achtanelion
10-26-2012, 09:45 AM
Have you removed all the stickers including sticky rubber bumpers from the top edge? Often the sneaky buggers like to hide screws under them. If so, try lifting the front bezel directly upwards as you fish for the little clips. Often you will feel like you're almost at the yield point of the plastic before the clips release.

HTH

J

MaxxLagg
10-26-2012, 05:13 PM
Sorry, but that site SUCKS. It seems to pop up in the majority of hits on any Google search about fixing anything and I've yet to find even a half-assed answer to anything. It's just a click through revenue generator, IMO.

Hogridnfool
10-26-2012, 06:41 PM
http://www.ehow.com/how_6568492_repair-gateway-monitor-inverter.htmlIf this doesn't help, do a Google search for "Gateway monitor repair", there are a couple of youtube videos there that may show you what to do.

aboard_epsilon
10-26-2012, 07:08 PM
MAXLAGG youre dead on there ..that site is effing rubbish ..
and bogs down my searches.

all the best.markj

J Tiers
10-26-2012, 08:10 PM
Jah, I have been through the E-how, and Fixya, and a couple others, plus the various videos......

What I was looking for were two things.....

1) someone who knows how the keys on a Dell 610 are put back, as they have a microscopic "scissors" mechanism reminiscent of an adjustable factory table.

2) How the Gateway monitor is supposed to come apart.

What I got from these sites is

Fixya... recycled references to worthless vids... and generalities that apply to everything, or nothing, just as you like....

E-How.... very detailed instructions for something that is claimed to be the unit, but does not look the least bit like what I see in front of me.

You-tube vids... people who know nothing explaining badly how they did something that they don't understand, without any actual pictures of how they did what they say they did.....

And that is almost everything that popped up.

Makes me think more kindly of the "mini-lathe" sites, and their suggestion to "lap the ways" by pouring grit on and working the slides.... At least those folks are using tools that will kinda do what they say, even if the job will be badly done.... The other three sources are evidently populated by the ignorant leading the unknowing......

J Tiers
10-26-2012, 10:17 PM
http://www.ehow.com/how_6568492_repair-gateway-monitor-inverter.htmlIf this doesn't help, do a Google search for "Gateway monitor repair", there are a couple of youtube videos there that may show you what to do.

It's for a completely different monitor, this one has a front and a back, each one piece, or close enough.

I do not think this one comes apart the way it seems..... the top must need to be popped first.... but usually the area with the screws is where you start. The screws generally release enough of the removable part to get you started, which is why they are there.

On this the wires start to get tight before the parts are separated enough to matter....and going further produced a bad noise.... ;)

I googled that long ago, and got "Fixya, and Ehow.... plus some worthless vids

R_Audano
10-27-2012, 09:32 AM
I agree with everyone who thinks fixya $ucks... it's nothing but an advertisement and generator of revenue for advertisers. I can be looking for some really "Off the Wall" **** but FixYa will have an answer!!! Doubt it! Nothing but a waste of my time and valuable bandwidth.

J Tiers
10-27-2012, 10:46 AM
That's what it seems......

I did get the parts apart..... there is a trick to it in that you have to hold the parts correctly and then you can get a knife in to get them apart.

So I was a little bit mean..... I left a comment that said "Got it done. Turns out there is a trick to it. Thanks", but never explained the trick. Maybe someone will see that, maybe not. I was so irritated with the references to things I had already seen, and sage advice to "google it" that I am afraid I was not inclined to be nice.

Bad Jerry.......

kendall
10-27-2012, 05:35 PM
That's what it seems......

I did get the parts apart..... there is a trick to it in that you have to hold the parts correctly and then you can get a knife in to get them apart.

So I was a little bit mean..... I left a comment that said "Got it done. Turns out there is a trick to it. Thanks", but never explained the trick. Maybe someone will see that, maybe not. I was so irritated with the references to things I had already seen, and sage advice to "google it" that I am afraid I was not inclined to be nice.

Bad Jerry.......

That's always been one of my pet peeves. When someone says 'Google it' I really have to fight the urge to say, 'gee I never heard of that, what's google?', or ' I looked there, but all it has is a white page that says GOOGLE over an empty box'. Posting a link to a search results page is fine and often very helpful, but a simple 'google it' is useless.
Another big issue with me is when someone posts on a forum and asks for email replies only, or to answer in a PM.

As for the monitor question, When I took my monitor apart I managed to get the entire perimeter free, but it still wouldn't lift off. I searched and found instructions on line and they basically just outlined the procedure I had used previously. After succumbing to the 'what the h*** it's already broke' thought process, I decided a little extra effort was required. So I applied a bit of extra force and it popped loose. I found there were a couple squares of a high density foam with adhesive on both sides located in the upper corner that was the only thing holding me up.

Incidentally the best 'pry bars' I've found for that is a pair of regular dining forks, work one fork into the gap, then stick another fork in with the tines interlaced so the forks are back to back and gently squeeze the handles together, it's very easy to apply steady pressure that way and pretty much eliminates the chance of messing up the edge.

darryl
10-27-2012, 08:53 PM
I bet you'll find a piece of double sided sticky tape in there, holding things together. Get a couple of forks and wedge them together as prybars. It should pop apart then.

:)

J Tiers
10-27-2012, 11:44 PM
I bet you'll find a piece of double sided sticky tape in there, holding things together. Get a couple of forks and wedge them together as prybars. It should pop apart then.
:)

I did get the parts apart.....

.................;)

That was a tad buried in the other post, so no harm.......

I'll have to go see what happened with the Fixya posting.....

legendboy
10-28-2012, 12:15 AM
Never really used it, but have stumbled on it, and read some answers on it, most recently dealing with auto repair. I found it, and most of the first 2 pages of a google search were the same questions, and answers, and non of them were very in depth, or particularly helpful. The best thing I've found is forums. There's a forum for EVERYTHING, and 9 times out of 10 somebody else has already had the problem you have, and most likely documented a pictorial walk though of how to fix it. The trick is trying to wade through the **** to get to that forum post. Anytime I have a problem I need a bit of help with I always search through forums first.

There's only a few forums I'm active on anymore, and most of the occupants on them have pretty similar interests as me, so even if I have a problem in a non related field, I can usually post up the question and get an answer no matter what forum it's on. Or I know of somebody from a forum who is in a particular field that could help me, but the forum content is totally unrelated, I'll send a PM to that person. Also because I "know" the person, I trust their answer a heck of a lot more than some anonymous post on some diy how to site.

So in short. Post it up here, I'm sure somebody on this forum has "been there, done that" and could advise.... My advice would be either a sawsall, or sledge hammer, but neither would work for your situation.... :)

one of the truly great things about the internet

caveBob
10-28-2012, 12:27 AM
one of the truly great things about the internet

ditto that... kinda related, my monitor stopped working too and but I didn't have a clue what to look for. On a forum somewhere, someone mentioned checking the power supply on the monitor... much googling followed that leading me to lcdalternatives.com. They had a "capacitor kit" to replace all the defective ones on the power supply board (monitor had a plug to go into the socket, who knew there was a power supply board inside - I didn't :) ) Anyway, order the kit, get back on the net, find a "how to solder" video or ten on youtube... put the new capacitors in... low and behold, I'm at this forum right now looking at it on the repaired monitor. It's been kicking along just fine now for about a year now... the kit costs like $15.

legendboy
10-28-2012, 12:35 AM
i once built a high def 720p home theater projector using a broken backlight lcd monitor and various over head projector parts all just from reading a forum lol