PDA

View Full Version : Ebay rip off!

flylo
10-26-2012, 11:10 AM
Been watching a chuck that just ended. I bid the opening bid with about 1 minute to go then entered a 2nd bid. Both bids showed up, then the auction ended & showed no bids so I called Ebay & was told the seller cancelled all bids & relisted it & the can't do anything about it. I never had this happen before.

michigan doug
10-26-2012, 11:47 AM
There are always a few snakes on ebay. What kind of history did they have? Especially, how many feedback?

Finest regards,

doug

flylo
10-26-2012, 12:25 PM
mbnelt has 1014 & I have 848 all positive. The way ebay talked they had done it before. I planned on buying several items but guess I won't.

EddyCurr
10-26-2012, 12:59 PM
... so I called Ebay & was told the seller cancelled all bids & relisted it ...What is the new eBay Item Number?

EddyCurr
10-26-2012, 01:03 PM
Is this it?

290798369756 - Reid 618 HA Surface Grinder with Magnetic Chuck 6" x 18"

Oops: that chuck comes with a surface grinder attached.

flylo
10-26-2012, 01:20 PM
Ebay told me it was relisted but it's not. It's weird because it's marked sold but when you click on it it shows no bids. Original # 290795243065 I've e-mailed the seller twice.

ogre
10-26-2012, 01:21 PM
Not everybody has a good heart like flylo. Writem a bad feedback or we can all prob write one if you can without buying something.

flylo
10-26-2012, 01:31 PM
I'm not going to worry about it, I just didn't think they could retract an item so close to the end of an auction. Just poor business IMHO.

Black Forest
10-26-2012, 01:41 PM
I'm not going to worry about it, I just didn't think they could retract an item so close to the end of an auction. Just poor business IMHO.

I had someone do that to me also. I wanted to buy a video camera. I asked on a forum for editors using the same software that I use. One of the editors said he had a camera that would suit me. He said he would list it on Ebay. He did and had a starting bid amount. No buy it now possibility. I bid and informed him so via the forum. I was the only bidder and one hour before the auction was up it was delisted. I contacted him via PM on the forum and he said it was not bringing enough money. I told him to list it as a Buy it Now item. He did. He listed it for much more money than what we talked about on the PM on the forum. I told him he could keep the camera. So he relisted it for what we talked about and I bought the camera. I wanted it for my daughter for a school project. She is happy with the camera.

flylo
10-26-2012, 01:46 PM
I've e-mail twice with no response & was going to buy more so I guess it's his loss.

KiddZimaHater
10-26-2012, 02:03 PM
I have the opposite problem.
I sell stuff on Ebay and sometimes have to wait 5-10 days, and send multiple invoices, before receiving payment from some deadbeats.
If someone bids on something, Shouldn't they be able to pay for it as well? :confused:

RussZHC
10-26-2012, 02:10 PM
I'd be curious enough to watch the other items...2 have single bids right now and "close" in about a day and 4 hours...see if they too disappear.

Know it has happened to me a couple of times locally, respond and get initial reply then before viewing can be arranged, "oops, sorry, decided not to sell", translation: not enough interest to get what they think it was worth

flylo
10-26-2012, 02:21 PM
I bought a Mighty Comet 3HP mill a week ago & can't pay or pick it up till next week because the seller is gone. I had to e-mail him several times before a response. I thought he was going to back out because it went cheap, but he finally contacted me. I really didn't mean to buy it, I just stuck a stupid low bid in at the end & won it by $1.90.

flylo
10-26-2012, 03:16 PM
Just wanted to see if he'd do it again or if he had me blocked so I bought a mic & 2 calipers for $8.00 & it went thru.

john11668
10-26-2012, 05:11 PM
Still there on my search !
3 days to go starting at $300
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290798369756?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2F United-States-%2F261%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D29079836975 6%26_rdc%3D1

legendboy
10-26-2012, 07:55 PM
as far as I knew you couldn't end your listing if it had bids and had less then 24hrs till over

ogre
10-26-2012, 09:56 PM
This is bull#%*!! How can they do this? I myself would be so pissed off. When i finally get money to buy something,and i pay whats asked ,then darnit i want it.

flylo
10-26-2012, 10:58 PM
After I bought the mic & calipers I again e-mailed him. He answered & claimed it ended with no bids, then I told him what ebay said & that I registered a complaint & haven't heard anything. I did bid on it again so we'll see.
LB, I thought the same thing, but ebay looked at the listing & told me he ended it early. I thought at first it was a glitch, that's why I called ebay.

oldtiffie
10-26-2012, 11:14 PM
Just to turn it around a bit, wouldn't you like that cancelling feature if you were the seller and the bids were all under your minimum price?

flylo
10-26-2012, 11:26 PM
No, His min price is supposed to be his starting price. He should have put a reserve on it but that cost more. I tought an absolute auction was, well, absolute. If that's fair maybe the buyers can just pay for what they want & leave the rest.

SteveF
10-26-2012, 11:55 PM
Exactly right. You either start the bidding with your minimum price or use a reserve. Those folks who start the bidding at 99 cents so they can pay the least listing cost need to man up and sell it for whatever price it brings.

Steve

morehelium
10-27-2012, 03:24 PM
I don't want to be a dick but this really bothers me.

You've blatantly called this guy a rip off when the ebay history conflicts with your story and you've called this guy a rip-off in a very public way.
The ebay revision history clearly shows he revised the price 12 hours before the auction ended.
There is NO record of the auction ending early. Is it not possible your bids didn't go through or you made a mistake?
Yes he revised the starting bid a few times, so bloody what it's his stuff.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemRevisionDetails&_trksid=p2047675.l2569&rt=nc&item=290795243065

He relisted it at a $50 starting bid which is ridiculously cheap and you are still whining. Do you really expect to get it for nothing?

Ebay has become a royal pain for sellers because it's so easy for anyone to screw with your feedback and make you look bad. And they've made it impossible to filter out sleazy buyers because you can no longer leave negative feedback for bidders.

My point: Until the sale completes it's HIS stuff. Not yours. Why is it that people can bid on something listed at very cheap prices compared to the retail value and then whine about it incessantly when they don't get it for nothing.

You bought a mic and two calipers for 8 effing dollars. And you are complaining. You also entered the bid in the last three seconds so you are probably using sniping software or just sniped it manually which doesn't exactly make you the most ethical person.

There is absolutely ZERO indication that he's "ripped you off" yet you are filing a complaint with Ebay? for what?

end of Rant.

Chris

flylo
10-27-2012, 03:46 PM
His opening bid was $50 which I bid with a minute left & it registered my bid so I bid $88 near the close. It's an auction & I thought he was bound to sell it & I was bound to buy it if my bid wins. So by your theory I can bid then change my mind & not pay? That's not how auctions work,Sorry
PS I don't use sniping software & what's not ethical about bidding anytime?
PPS If you don't want to be a d*ck than stop acting like one.:rolleyes:

morehelium
10-27-2012, 04:42 PM
The auction history would show if bids were cancelled.

It shows that the auction ended with no bids. He did not end it early as you previously insisted.

Even IF ....if he ended the auction early you are calling this fellow a rip off for what?

So by your theory I can bid then change my mind & not pay? That's not how auctions work,Sorry

I never said anything like that. He's selling an expensive item for $50... wtf are you complaining about.

You are calling this guy a rip off for no reason.

For clarity... There's no evidence the auction ended early, and if your bids didn't go through it's a glitch and not his fault.

flylo
10-27-2012, 04:57 PM
I thought it was a glitch & called Ebay and Ebay is who said he cancelled the bids, she looked it up & confirmed this. I was over 20 minutes on the phone with Ebay, Ebay also said they would send him a warning but said there was nothing Ebay could do. How do you know I didn't bid hundreds of dollars on the mics, it only took $8 to win. If you want a certain price for an item then start there & don't complain if it sells for the opening price. As far as sniping how does that make me not ethical? The sellers job is to sell it for as much as possible & the buyers job is to buy it for the least. I cant help it your no good at your job.

flylo
10-27-2012, 05:09 PM
BTW the seller finally contacted me saying someone else runs his auctions & he would find out why it happened. He seems sincere & I believe he will do what's right & will post when he does.

tmarks11
10-27-2012, 05:11 PM
You also entered the bid in the last three seconds so you are probably using sniping software or just sniped it manually which doesn't exactly make you the most ethical person.
Nothing unethical about using sniping software. It is just plain smart.

Bidding on an online auction site isn't participating in a sporting event.

Nothing in any laws or regulations prohibit bids at the last moment.

I am surprised that fleabay didn't change the rules years ago, and any bids in the last 10 minutes would trigger an automatic extension of the auction time by at least 10 minutes. That would put paid to use of sniping software, and would net them some more money on hotly contested items.

But I do agree that it is unethical for the seller to cancel an auction near the end or after it ended. Annoying. Had a seller tell me after the auction ended that he made a mistake on posted shipping price, and that the actual shipping price was $25 (instead of free) on a $50 purchase, and if that I didn't like that price that he was going to cancel the auction. I complained to ebay, but it didn't do any good.

BigJohnT
10-27-2012, 05:14 PM
I hate fleabay and paypal and avoid using them when possible, but sometimes when I'm drinking I'll buy a CNC machine!

John

flylo
10-27-2012, 05:20 PM
I wasn't even drinking & bought a Mighty Comet 3HP mill by accident this week. LOL!

lazlo
10-27-2012, 05:27 PM
My point: Until the sale completes it's HIS stuff. Not yours. Why is it that people can bid on something listed at very cheap prices compared to the retail value and then whine about it incessantly when they don't get it for nothing.

Flylo said that he bid on it, and the seller cancelled the bid before the auction ended. That used to be against Ebay policy, but they added the stupid by-law that you can cancel the auction if it sold locally, so sellers started cancelling the auction in the final minutes if the item hadn't bid to what they considered a "reasonable" price.

I can't tell what happened based on the bid history. The auction was supposed to end on Oct 26, 2012 07:44:05 PDT. The final auction summary says "Bidding has ended on this item." but the item has been re-listed.

I think that means that bidding didn't meet his reserve price, but I can't tell for sure, and like you point out, he revised his minimum bid price 4 times.

But the "value" of the item is meaningless. You post the auction at whatever price you want, and let the auction run. Sometime an item sells for a lot more than it's legitimate value, sometimes for a lot less -- that's what you risk with an auction.

If the final sale price doesn't meet your "value" criterion, then you shouldn't be on an auction site.

RussZHC
10-27-2012, 05:45 PM
I'll bite my tongue on general comments other than to say this has been illuminating.

The seller may make revisions during the listing period. I can understand "corrections" as to details BUT such an abbreviated statement, that is how it is on EBay link posted above (and it is not the full statement) is very, very open ended.
What does this mean, item color can be different (can mean a huge value difference of some collector items)? Item number can be different (I have a bone to pick with sellers who post picture of 2 or 3 items and then tell you you are only bidding on one...IMO it is clear but at the same time I have to question if some individuals are deliberately trying to be misleading) plus, among other things, it can make a huge difference in shipping costs. Etc. etc.
How does it work if there is more than one item and a "winning bid" receives said item? I assume that the remaining items will remain up for other bidding. Problem is on several occasions that I have found, the items are not identical because they are not all complete, only the first one is. [a] how does one trust the sender to actually send the complete one, [b] how can they sell for the same price.
I have never bid on such, it just surprises me such poorly worded/organized potentially fraudulent selling is allowed.