PDA

View Full Version : An Off Topic Thread - I Seem to Have Predicted this:

Weston Bye
10-26-2012, 12:08 PM
http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2012/10/25/boeing-successfully-tests-microwave-missile-that-takes-out-electronic-targets/

A microwave device that damages or destroys electronics. That they have mounted it on a missile is beside the point.

I described such a possibility in a Science Fiction story I wrote some ten years ago and posted on this BBS around Christmas last year. Here is the pertinent excerpt:

... The disks, the last remaining evidence of Stone's existence, were in this part of the building, and as near as he could determine, Packerman's office was on the other side of the windowless cinder block wall. The weather was perfect, an afternoon thunderstorm blew in right on schedule. Stone backed the station wagon into a parking space next to the wall. Glancing around, he used a long wooden pole to push the coil out onto the tailgate. Now was the time. Accessing the local cellular net, he dialed Harvey's number.
"Harvey Packerman."
"Harvey this is Stone."
"Stone! Where are you? Why don't you come on in. We'll take good care of you."
"I'm sorry, I can't do that."
Packerman's irritation suddenly showed in his voice. "You better think about this Stone, if we don't get cooperation we may have to turn this over to the government, and they have all the people, all the resources and all the time necessary to track you down."
Stone waited. "What proof could you offer that would convince them to start such a search? Your word that you know of an alien who came to earth in a stone flying saucer? Who now inhabits a robot body? Come now Harvey, a story like that ranks right in the same class as crop circles. Do you have any solid proof?"
"We have your set of disk!" Packerman sounded triumphant. "They paint a pretty good picture of your origin and activities. I think the government would be interested." Stone again paused, hoping to convey indecision. "What proof can you offer me that you have the disks? Have you copied them? Now carefully consider before you answer. A less than truthful answer, without enough information may not convince me." Packerman held his breath, considering. "We tried, but your encryption and copy protection has proven unbreakable to all conventional methods so far. The reader system you so thoughtfully included was the only way we were able to view the disks."
"Could you give me your modem number so I could verify them?"
"What? And have you hack your way into my computer? Maybe sabotage the disks? No way! Do you think I'm stupid?"
"You are rather paranoid. Perhaps you could read the disk volume labels to me over the phone. That would tell me. Your, uh, my data would still be safe."
"Well, OK, wait while I get the disks."
Stone could hear Packerman in the background, opening the disk safe. Harvey returned and picked up the phone. "OK, what do I do?"
"The disks are numbered sequentially, correct?"
"Yeah."
"Lay them out on your desk, side by side, in numerical order."
"OK, they are all laid out, now what?"
"Is your computer on?"
"Yeah."
"Wait a moment, I need to recall the label data." With that, Stone activated the coil, sliding it back and forth across the tailgate with the pole. A series of powerful magnetic pulses spiked out from the coil. Packerman had been staring at the ceiling, waiting, when he heard the paperclips on his desk give a little rattle. He glanced at his computer display and saw the picture change to a distorted rainbow of colors and shift over to the right and down into the corner and then back to the center of the screen. He wrinkled his brow and looked closer to see the picture twist forty-five degrees and move to the left and then back to normal. Thunder rumbled in the distant background. "I'm back. Now, place disk one in the drive."
"Ah...I think I have a problem. There is a thunderstorm going on outside and it's doing weird things to my computer." Stone activated the coil once more at full power. Harvey yelled as his computer screen jumped and twisted and paperclips leaped out of the little tray and across the desk. Coat hangers rattled and clicked on the coat rack in the hall.
Stone then broke the phone connection, pulled the coil back into the wagon and closed the tailgate. He then slipped the car into drive and eased out of the parking lot, the coil trailing a faint wisp of smoke. As he drove he again accessed the local cellular network. "Hello could I speak to your accounts payable department please?" Stone synthesized a vaguely female voice. After a minute a clerk came on the line.
"Accounts Payable, this is Nancy."
"Hello, this is Patty at Allied Tool. I've just been assigned your account and I would like to check the figure you have for your account balance."
"Oh my, I'd like to help you but we've just had every computer in the building crash. We must have been struck by lightning from the storm outside."
"Oh dear, you must be very busy right now. I can wait until later, I'll call you back in a few days. Bye." Stone broke the connection, satisfied that he had destroyed the data on every disk in the building, and the last tangible evidence of his existence. ...

Boucher
10-26-2012, 12:33 PM
Back in the sixties when we were playing nuclear threat games with the Russians, the possibility that a small nuclear explosion could disable electronics was the accepted norm for designing Penetration Aids for the Minuteman missile system. A pyrotechnic train enclosed in a lead sheath performed timing functions. It looked about like Flux core solder. It is sickening what we spent developing that hardware.

flylo
10-26-2012, 12:45 PM
Is that the same as EMP I've heard about for years?

Weston Bye
10-26-2012, 01:08 PM
Is that the same as EMP I've heard about for years?

The effect would be the same, but the method of generating it would be much different. The nuclear or solar EMP would be a very intense low frequency spike, the microwave, as the label implies, would be extremely high frequency, the nature of which I don't fully understand (yet).

lakeside53
10-26-2012, 07:27 PM
Maybe you gave them the idea!

aboard_epsilon
10-26-2012, 07:38 PM
The effect would be the same, but the method of generating it would be much different. The nuclear or solar EMP would be a very intense low frequency spike, the microwave, as the label implies, would be extremely high frequency, the nature of which I don't fully understand (yet).

nor, does a guy on youtube ..who thinks rapping tin foil around his phone protects it ..just because the thing doesn't receive phone calls when its rapped .

i think it causes shorts in the chips ..sparks will jump between the microcircuits ,burning them out ..just like when you put any metal in a microwave oven

all the best.markj

Weston Bye
10-26-2012, 08:16 PM
Way back, I repaired airborne radar when I was in the Navy. I understand microwaves. I also remember paying a visit to Sault St. Marie, Michigan back in the late '60's. They and a huge NORAD radar emplacement on a hill just outside of town with a rotating antenna. Every time the antenna came around to point in the direction of town, even though it was looking upward, any electronic device gave a "bzzt" out of the speaker. This included radios, TVs, even the electronic organ and PA system in the church where I went on Sunday. The Sound Of Vigilance, I called it.

As I said, I understand microwaves, but don't know the mechanisms involved in the new weapon. That is probably as it should be.

Seems like an opportunity though, for someone to come up with a old-fashioned vehicle ignition retrofit kit, some kind of quick bolt-on thing to use after the "event" to get home with - not for normal daily use. Could be some money in selling them to preppers.

flylo
10-26-2012, 08:30 PM
My wife is in the mental health field & can tell many stories about uses for alum foil I would never have thought of. :confused:

J.Ramsey
10-26-2012, 09:06 PM
My wife is in the mental health field & can tell many stories about uses for alum foil I would never have thought of. :confused:
http://i.imgur.com/3Px2J.gif

ikdor
10-28-2012, 07:35 AM
These devices have been around for more than ten years. There has been a lot of research into flux compression and vircator devices. What I find fascinating is that no terrorist organisation is using them. You can easily throw a Marx generator and a spark gap transmitter into a suitcase and wreak havoc without being too suspicious. Maybe it doesn't really scare people but you might be able to shake the financial market walking down wall street....

Igor

Edit, some old reading from 1996
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/report/1996/apjemp.htm

aboard_epsilon
10-28-2012, 07:49 AM
do you think EMP would knock out a simple CDI ignition as in Honda 70's

all the best.markj

Bob Fisher
10-28-2012, 12:47 PM
Wes, is there no end to your talents? A sci -fi writer too! And you're almost a Yooper as well. Bob.

loose nut
10-28-2012, 03:26 PM
These devices have been around for more than ten years. There has been a lot of research into flux compression and vircator devices. What I find fascinating is that no terrorist organisation is using them. You can easily throw a Marx generator and a spark gap transmitter into a suitcase and wreak havoc without being too suspicious. Maybe it doesn't really scare people but you might be able to shake the financial market walking down wall street....

Igor

Edit, some old reading from 1996
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/report/1996/apjemp.htm

Great you had to tell them. Now we are in for it. It will be bad enough when the financial district has a electronic melt down but when all the TV's go out and all the couch potatoes can get there reality TV fix, what will we do then.:eek: