PDA

View Full Version : A nice tool for touching up cutting tools

Chris165
10-26-2012, 07:30 PM
I picked up a Work Sharp knife and tool sharpener today. I had seen it work at a trade show and it puts a razor edge on knives that you can shave with. After putting a perfect edge on all of my crappy steel knives, I figured I'd give the slack belt configuration a try. There were some 5/8" HSS tool bits sitting on my lathe that had been ground to shape and used on a recent project. I was going to need them later tonight for another project and did not want to bring out the big bench grinder. The little 1/2" wide abrasive belts put an edge on that hss bit that you could cut yourself with. This little tool will work great because I have not sharpened my tools as often as you should because of the trouble of dragging out my sharpening set-up which I'm sure alot of people can agree with. It is light, quick and easy to get a perfect edge. I will say that is NOT for roughing bits to shape or heavy grinding, but it does what it is designed for very well and that is putting a very fine edge on things. The tool comes with 2x 80,220,6000 grit belts that have Norton printed on the back of them. I purchased the extra assortment of belts which also has 2 of each figuring that I would need them very quickly, but supprisingly the little belts held up extremely well.

If anyone has any questions about this tool please feel free to ask.

Chris

customcutter
10-26-2012, 07:47 PM
Be sure and store your belts in the house where it is A/C. Other wise the splices will deteriorate, unless you use them up in 12 months or less.

Ken

ehughes
10-27-2012, 11:52 AM
Hello Chris, Had not seen this. Thank you for posting it. Regards, Earl

Michael Moore
10-28-2012, 12:27 PM
Ken, I store my unused sanding belts in ziploc bags (with the air squeezed out) which seems to help them avoid coming apart at the splice.

cheers,
Michael