PDA

View Full Version : How to best make a adapter bushing

Steve Steven
10-27-2012, 06:05 PM
My son is adapting a Honda engine to a blower he has, and has a mismatch between the fan ID and the shaft OD. The fan ID is "About" 1 inch, the shaft is 3/4inch OD.

These dimensions leave only a 1/8in thick bushing, not very thick. I can think of two things to try:
1: Split the bushing and make a tall key, stepped if necessary.
2: Silver solder on a key on the inside and on the outside, 90deg from each other. This puts a lot of stress on the silver solder joint, and I worry the bushing may distort so much from the silver solder heat it might not fit.

Anyone have any thoughts on the best way to solve this problem? Or thoughts on which way I should try?

Thanks for your replies.

Steve

Stu
10-27-2012, 06:52 PM
1 Week ago I did the exact same job, I put a Honda engine on my leaf vac, same mismatch to the impeller as well. I made the bushing with a 3/4" long 1-3/4" od flange on the motor side to give it a bit more strength. I cut the key slot all the way through on the 1" od portion, and used a full depth key. I kept all the fits pretty tight, just loose enough to be able to assemble with just a little persuading with a lead hammer. It works fine.

Bill

vpt
10-27-2012, 07:54 PM
I made a leaf blower and just used a belt.

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/506/weedeateralt4005.jpg

Steve Steven
10-27-2012, 08:21 PM
Stu,
Thanks for that. That is the way my son wanted to do the job, I haven't seen the pieces yet but it sounds like the same job.

Son works for Land & Coats, a large yard service sales company here and gets stuff in need of repair and rebuilds them on the side for side money. I enjoy helping him when I can.

After I see the parts, I'll try your idea, I like the large flange to aid in strengthen the bushing.

Steve

Stu
10-27-2012, 08:55 PM
Steve,

I forgot a couple of details. I welded the bushing to the impeller on the flange side and I didn't match the bushing key-way to the existing key-way on the impeller, for one they were different widths and second I didn't think it would add any strength.

Bill

Steve Steven
10-28-2012, 01:53 PM
Thanks, Stu.
I see what you say, I was going to make the key fit to both of the pieces but can see your point.

Steve