PDA

View Full Version : Common Bridgeport ?

billnoy
10-27-2012, 09:28 PM
I ran across a Vertical/Horizontal Bridgeport mill, and wonder how common they are and if they are a good dual use machine. I don't have the model or serial # but it has a swivel table also. There is a boom attached to the top of the mill (appears to be factory) for repositioning the horizontal overarm ?

I have not seen one before and am intrigued and possibly interested.

Please reply if you have knowledge of this model.

Thanks

Bill

hornluv
10-27-2012, 09:32 PM
Could it be a horizontal with a Bridgeport head stuck on? I think that's how Bridgeport got started, making vertical heads for horizontal machines.

MaxHeadRoom
10-27-2012, 09:56 PM
That type is called a Ram Turret Mill, Excello made a very popular version, the 602, which is considered more rugged than the B.P.
Max.

lane
10-27-2012, 09:57 PM
Never heard of such. Probable some horizontal mill with a Bridgeport head fitted .Their are lots of them.

justanengineer
10-27-2012, 10:05 PM
Youre suffering from a popular misconception. Bport got its start by making heads for horizontal mills, and the M head is a very popular addition to one. IIRC, Bport only made two "horizontal" mills, both of which were production specific for use within their factory. AFAIK, both of these are currently accounted for, and none were ever produced that were universal.

Too may folks see the Bport name on the head and dont investigate the name on the mill itself.

John Stevenson
10-28-2012, 06:31 AM
More than likely an Adcock & Shipley badged up as a Bridgy.
They had a reciprocal licensing arrangement , A&S made the Bridgy under license and Bridgeport sold the A&S horizontals.
Look on www.lathes.co.uk under mills then Adcock &Shipley to see what they looked like

Don Young
10-29-2012, 12:04 AM
I once saw a Bridgeport with a riser block that included a horizontal spindle in the block. It was missing its drive and arbor support but seemed like a well engineered item.