PDA

View Full Version : Broke my VFD

Duffy
10-28-2012, 06:31 PM
Sir John, I am applying for a bar to my CB medal, (I got the medal when I took the top off a knuckle with a jointer-I would never have believed that blood would fly THAT far!:o)
I went to stop my lathe, and poked the "run/stop" button right through the pressure pad. And before anyone asks, no, I did NOT poke very hard :D.
Opened up the unit, (surprisingly easy,) and discovered that the peg that activates the switch snapped completely away from the casing. Not making excuses, but the peg pivots on two TINY pieces of plastic each about .060 X .025. To my mind, not indicative of a long and active life.
I have been in touch with Westinghouse, and actually talked to a human. Have not got any positive results. What I really need is a replacement outer casing.
If this is a common problem, to service the unit would take about 15 minutes tops. I took quite a bit longer, but I was shinnying up a greasy learning pole :D
Any constructive suggestions greatfully received.

willmac
10-28-2012, 06:40 PM
You have not said which VFD you have, but with most/all recent VFDs you can wire in external Run/Stop switches, in fact that is the normal way to use a VFD. You may have to set a parameter to define that control is coming from an external set of switches. If you do this you should be able to ignore the built in keypad for all normal operations.

John Stevenson
10-28-2012, 07:05 PM
Plus 1 what Bill says, fit remote stop start switches and a pot, put them where it's most handy to use.

P.S. Clumsy bastard :D

lakeside53
10-28-2012, 09:04 PM
Controls on most vfds are not suited to any real world use; they are just for set up and occasional parameter changes.

Duffy
10-28-2012, 10:52 PM
John, I thought that the CB medal WAS for Clumsy Bastard.
It is a The unit is a Teco FM50-201 1hp 220 single phase in and 220 3 phase out.
NOW to figure out just HOW to make it happen!

willmac
10-29-2012, 06:30 AM
Just had a quick look at the operators manual for that VFD. It is a very straight forward design, you don't need to do very much to get yourself running again. P 29 has the basic wiring diagram. You will need a couple of switches, a little housing for them and a potentiometer if you want variable speed. Wire it up as per the diagram, then:
P 38 has the logic part. You need to set parameter F03 for how you want the switches to control the VFD and the motor.