PDA

View Full Version : New guy here, thought I'd introduce myself.

Jimmer12
10-29-2012, 03:28 PM
Hi everyone, I've been snooping around here a bit now and thought I'd sign up and register finally.

My name is Jim, and I am a mechanical engineering technologist who has worked in several different fields. I've always had a fascination with machining and ended up taking some weekend machining classes which helped me end up landing a design job in the injection mould industry. During the recession I was at risk of losing my job so I ended up proposing an option to my boss, that he bring me on as a tool and die apprentice, let me work in the shop when there was a demand there, and still be available for design work when needed. That worked out well, but his workload kept dropping off and I ended up leaving there, and landed an almost identical position in a big stamping die manufacturer, splitting my time between shop and office.

I'm also starting to setup a bit of a home machine shop. I have a 24'x24' garage with a 100amp service. My father in law has a Jet 1430 lathe, small benchtop milling machine, and a Reid 2C surface grinder that belonged to his dad (also a tool and die maker) that are moving to my shop, as well as a Jones and Shipman 1310 hydraulic cylindrical grinder that is already in my garage just waiting for a RPC to be built. I also have 3 (yes 3) Buffalo blower and forge drill presses that I have collected, that I will be refurbishing, keeping the best one for myself and unloading the others.

My interests on the site here, are obviously to learn more about machining in general, but in particular to learn about scraping, and rebuilding machine tools, as I would love to give that Reid 2C a full blown rebuild, and eventually pick up a nice old knee mill and rebuild it as well. I'd also like to learn more about grinding my own cutters since I can't afford to be buying new ones all the time!

I've got a great deal of experience with SolidWorks CAD software (conservatively estimated around 8000 hours), and would be happy to lend any advice to anyone using or learning that software, or if someone on here needs something whipped up in 3D, I would be happy to help as I have unlimited access to the software.

Anyway that's enough about me, I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you.

Jim

RussZHC
10-29-2012, 03:40 PM
Welcome.

If you are interested in scraping, may I suggest getting some back issues (slightly "back"), of "The Home Shop Machinist". The Sept/Oct 2012 issue is part 9 of a series, "Scraping for the Home Shop" by Michael Ward.
I am not capable to consider a major project but the articles are very informative and lots of excellent pictures.
There are also some hands on scraping classes that pop up from time to time.

sasquatch
10-29-2012, 03:53 PM
Welcome Jim, interesting introduction.

I am much aware of where Brantford is, having lived 30 miles from there 40 years ago.

Interesting that you have 3 Buffalo Forge drill presses, i only have one a 15 inch, branded "Canadian " (same thing.) They seem to be getting quite collectible.

(Just read about the "Piston Pushers" 58th anniversary.)

Bob Fisher
10-29-2012, 04:01 PM
Welcome,this is a great place to glean information about any machining topic. The collective knowledge of this group is amazing! Someone here knows the answer to just about anything.Welcome again. Bob.

ogre
10-29-2012, 04:59 PM
Welcome and great to have your experience aboard.

Black_Moons
10-29-2012, 07:12 PM
Welcome, Sounds like you'll fit in great. Don't be afraid to ask and don't worry about reading past page 5 or so in any thread. *grins*

As far as rebuilding goes, you can consider doing a cosmetic rebuild (Disassemble, clean, polish, oil and readjust) at any time, but I would hold off before considering doing anything more, perticularly figure out if it needs one accuracy wise and figure out if your scraping skills are accurate enough yet, or if it even can be scraped.

Just because a machine is old, does not mean its movement surfaces are worn out. Some machines go unused for ages, Others get abused.

mars-red
10-30-2012, 09:51 AM
Welcome Jim! Sounds like you're on your way to having a pretty sweet home shop setup!

Jimmer12
10-30-2012, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys!

Russ, I have a few copies of HSM magazine, I will pull them out and see about ordering some of the back issues on scraping.

Sasquatch, where abouts did you live out this way? I'm only 30, but I've spent all my life and both my parents have lived in and around Brantford all their lives. Two of my Buffalos are 15's, one has Buffalo cast in the head, the other doesn't have any name case in the head. They both have Made in Kitchener Ontario cast in the base though. The third one is an 18" that does have "Canadian" cast in the head, and it is actually a fair bit older.

Mars-red, I think the home shop will end up being pretty nice once I find the time and money to get it organized the way I want. I never thought I'd had a cylindrical grinder in the shop, so that acquisition was a big surprise. Might need a bigger shop sooner than I expected.

Black_Moons, I'll likely start with a tear down of that Reid grinder when it gets in my shop and see what it needs long term. If I luck out it won't need to be scraped, but considering the age of it I suspect it has some wear on the ways.